tax / cgt question for renovating property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax / cgt question for renovating property

I purchased a shell of a house that was structurally sound but needed complete refurbishment. The house had been ransacked many items. eg All the radiators & copper pipe had been ripped from the walls.
    A builder completed all the work from start to finish. The final cost was an all-in job & was not itemised.
    I am struggling to work out how this would be calculated for tax reasons. What would need to be kept back for CGT
    eg - there was no kitchen - I purchased the kitchen myself, but the builder fitted it. He also supplied the hob & oven.
    There was no bathroom - but again, he supplied & fitted.
    Windows & Doors was done separately & certified.
    The garden was cleared after years of overgrowth. Fence replaced (well, the old fence was non existent).
    There was scaffolding to repair the roof - the house had to be re-rendered. Flat roof replaced because it was leaking in multiple places.
    I have a list of work that had to be done form the local council to bring it back into order (I was aware of the orders before purchase) - this includes fitting a ktichen, bathroom, suitable flooring to cover the concrete base, etc. every wall & ceiling had to be replastered & in somecases the lath & plaster replaced for plasterboard. New doors, new boiler, plumbing.complete rewire to bring it up to current regulations.

I am struggling on what I need to claim against tax & what is CGT.

I'd suggest that based on that description, all of the work was probably capital.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you purchased a building shell , and had the builder carry out the refurbishment work , then enter all expenses as an improvement in your records. You paid the builder by cheque and should have kept bank statements to show all payments .

No need to break down the cost into operating and capital expense. Treat all costs as capital expense , which reduces your liability to capital gain tax .

Comment

It may certainly be beneficial to allocate some of those expenses to running costs, electrical work required for the NEIC certainly is solely for the letting. Depends how much profit you are likely to make though, you'll have to do some sums .

Comment

See the following property income manual, from HMRC , may be of some help.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/pim2030

Comment

Originally posted by dp17 View Post
            See the following property income manual, from HMRC , may be of some help.

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/pim2030

The underlying principle is that the cost of buying a property in good condition is clearly capital expenditure. Hence the cost of buying a dilapidated property and putting it in good order is also capital expenditure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
              by Tony-Edwards
              Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
              11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
            • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
              by gnvqsos
              The house is being exchanged for the provision of care .Why should the family inherit the house, benefit from a windfall, and expect others to fund their parental care? The family could fund the care and then house could be inherited as and when the parents pass on.. There is also equity release as...
              12-08-2022, 14:15 PM
              by Neelix
              Then why are you getting involved?...
              12-08-2022, 13:58 PM
              by Tony-Edwards
              Ah how sweet - and clearly you CANNOT READ !!!!!

As previously stated - quite clearly I thought - " (BTW they're not my parents or kids) "...
              12-08-2022, 13:37 PM
              by Hollywood
              I'm not even sure the £86000 lifetime limit has come into being yet. I also think the care home fees have to have the personal care cost element removed.
              12-08-2022, 12:48 PM
              by jpucng62
              Two points:

1. Why should the tax payer pick up the bill for the parents care if they have assets? I really don't understand this point of view.

2. I would rather pay for my care and get a choice than rely on the Council & get possible a worse standard of care.
              12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
              by royw
              I'm not quite quite sure why you think they are being robbed? They have assets so can afford to pay for themselves. I would consider the council tax payers - many of whom can only dream of owning their own home - to have been robbed if they have to pay for it.
              Totally agree about those who could...
              11-08-2022, 22:45 PM
            • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
              by BIGGYBIBIG
              It would seem there is nobody with any knowledge on here, which is strange as i would have thought many people would have purchased blocks of flats and even if they did pay the wrong stamp duty by mistake as they did not know , HMRC do give you a one year window from completion to claim it back
              11-08-2022, 18:52 PM
            • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
              by BIGGYBIBIG
              Hello everyone,
              I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
              10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
            • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
              by BIGGYBIBIG
              That is only an example where it says houses the actual term is `dwelling`
              one title with 2 or more dwelling relief can then be added, however most people are unaware
              11-08-2022, 18:47 PM
            Working...
            X