Removed 2nd kitchen to sell property but can I still claim install costs against CGT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removed 2nd kitchen to sell property but can I still claim install costs against CGT

Dear Forum,

When I purchased a property back in 2007, I had an upstairs bedroom converted into a small kitchen and bathroom to create a self contained ground floor flat and a second kitchen / bathroom for the other 3 bedrooms upstairs to use.

The council had no issue with the size of the kitchen, but when I tried to sell last year, the buyers had endless issues getting a mortgage as kitchen size was too small for a HMO.

I've since had the kitchen removed and spent further money on this conversion, but now not sure if I can claim against my CGT the original cost of the kitchen install or just the cost of having the kitchen removed and converted into a utility room.

Thankfully got a cash buyer, but don't want to add the costs of the original kitchen conversion if by removing it I'm not allowed to claim.

Any help most welcome.

That's an interesting accounting question. You should get professional advice but I would consider that even though the installation of a kitchen is a capital item and thus not an expense to offset against income, when it is removed, the loss (ie cost minus any sale of the old units) becomes an expense to claim against income.

I can also see different arguments so it will be interesting to hear what others think.

You could post the question on the forum below where you may get an answer from others who are qualified.
    Business finances, including banking, bookkeeping, VAT and other taxes

Comment

You're right, interesting.

I'd say that both jobs are capital expenses and allowable.
      On the basis that they're definitely business expenses, and they're not operational.

However, I agree that the second unit of work, removing the kitchen could possibly be operational, on the basis that it's not increasing the value of the property in any meaningful way.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I was pondering if, on the removal of the kitchen, the whole cost of the kitchen - because it is no longer attached to the house - becomes an operational expense.

A possible parallel would be a washing machine bought for a property which did not previously have one. This would be a capital purchase - i.e. not offset-able against income. You might depreciate it yearly but when it no longer has a value and is disposed off, then you would treat the residual book value as an operational expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydaton View Post
          A possible parallel would be a washing machine bought for a property which did not previously have one. This would be a capital purchase - i.e. not offset-able against income. You might depreciate it yearly but when it no longer has a value and is disposed off, then you would treat the residual book value as an operational expense.
          The rules for a washing machine are different though.
          You can't claim the cost of the initial purchase of a furnishing at all, but replacement costs are allowable against income.

And in the property investment business for a private individual, there's no depreciation possible.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes, good points. I'm - probably wrongly - considering the matter from the perspective of it being a trade. Taking the washing machine example one stage further (and I acknowledge that this is further from the kitchen question posed), if the subsequent replacement washing machine is sold, what happens to the money received from a tax point of view?

Comment

Yes, good points. I'm - probably wrongly - considering the matter from the perspective of it being a trade. Taking the washing machine example one stage further (and I acknowledge that this is further from the kitchen question posed), if the subsequent replacement washing machine is sold, what happens to the money received from a tax point of view?
              In that case, it would be similar to a trade - it would be income.
              If the original (not possible to claim an allowance) machine was sold, that would also be income.

There wouldn't be any depreciation or written down value adjustment (no balance sheet for a start).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                In that case, it would be similar to a trade - it would be income.
                If the original (not possible to claim an allowance) machine was sold, that would also be income.

There wouldn't be any depreciation or written down value adjustment (no balance sheet for a start).
                I see, thank you. It seems counter-intuitive that, in any situation, one can buy and sell something and be taxed on the income without relief on the expenditure.

Comment

It seems counter-intuitive that, in any situation, one can buy and sell something and be taxed on the income without relief on the expenditure.
                  It is counter intuitive, I agree.
                  It was a special rule about not claiming for the original purchase of furniture introduced when the previous regime for furniture (10% of rent value per annum) was removed.

It means that, once again, company accounting and property investment accounting are not in synch, and the investment rules make no sense.
                  Since leaving the world of commerce and becoming a landlord, a lot of time has been spent unlearning the fairly sensible and well worn corporate rules used (usually) by trained professionals for a different and inconsistent set of rules used (usually) by people who have no training or experience.

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyroom View Post
                    Dear Forum,

When I purchased a property back in 2007, I had an upstairs bedroom converted into a small kitchen and bathroom to create a self contained ground floor flat and a second kitchen / bathroom for the other 3 bedrooms upstairs to use.

The council had no issue with the size of the kitchen, but when I tried to sell last year, the buyers had endless issues getting a mortgage as kitchen size was too small for a HMO.

I've since had the kitchen removed and spent further money on this conversion, but now not sure if I can claim against my CGT the original cost of the kitchen install or just the cost of having the kitchen removed and converted into a utility room.

Thankfully got a cash buyer, but don't want to add the costs of the original kitchen conversion if by removing it I'm not allowed to claim.

Any help most welcome.
                    You can claim the cost of "removing kitchen and converting to utility room" before finding a buyer as an improvement expense .

Just claim this part and deduct this expense in your calculation of the taxable capital gain.

Comment

do you have an opinion, Gordon999, as to whether,they can claim the original cost of the kitchen install against their CGT as well?

Comment

do you have an opinion, Gordon999, as to whether,they can claim the original cost of the kitchen install against their CGT as well?
                        I did not recommend claiming the original 2007 cost because it may raise doubts ..........

For the 2022 expense, the property was improved to enable to buyer to qualify for a mortgage.

Comment

Reading stuff like this makes me glad we have a ltd company structure.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                            by jpucng62
                            Two points:

1. Why should the tax payer pick up the bill for the parents care if they have assets? I really don't understand this point of view.

2. I would rather pay for my care and get a choice than rely on the Council & get possible a worse standard of care.
                            12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
                          • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                            by Tony-Edwards
                            Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
                            11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
                            by royw
                            I'm not quite quite sure why you think they are being robbed? They have assets so can afford to pay for themselves. I would consider the council tax payers - many of whom can only dream of owning their own home - to have been robbed if they have to pay for it.
                            Totally agree about those who could...
                            11-08-2022, 22:45 PM
                          • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                            by BIGGYBIBIG
                            It would seem there is nobody with any knowledge on here, which is strange as i would have thought many people would have purchased blocks of flats and even if they did pay the wrong stamp duty by mistake as they did not know , HMRC do give you a one year window from completion to claim it back
                            11-08-2022, 18:52 PM
                          • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                            by BIGGYBIBIG
                            Hello everyone,
                            I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                            10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                            by BIGGYBIBIG
                            That is only an example where it says houses the actual term is `dwelling`
                            one title with 2 or more dwelling relief can then be added, however most people are unaware
                            11-08-2022, 18:47 PM
                            by Gordon999
                            You are buying one title, not buying 5 separate titles...
                            11-08-2022, 17:35 PM
                            by BIGGYBIBIG
                            Again taken from HMRC website it states if (6 or more dwellings which mine is 8) it may be treated as a non residential transaction for the purposes of SDLT so will owning my own home have any effect on this?? Presumably i am thinking 1% minimum would still apply?

SDLTM29905 - Relief for

11-08-2022, 17:22 PM
                            by BIGGYBIBIG
                            whilst you are correct in most cases however that is not taking into account SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                            here is a copy and paste from HMRC own website, hence the reason for the post

Example
                            You buy 5 houses for £1 million.
                            £1 million divided by 5 is £200,000....
                            11-08-2022, 16:39 PM
                            by jpkeates
                            That's part of why it's worth getting professional advice - sometimes paying some CGT at 18% is more appealing than IHT at 40%.

But lots of people don't have to pay any IHT at all, and if the bulk of the estate is a £200k property it would be well under the threshold at which any tax is...
                            11-08-2022, 15:15 PM
                          Working...
                          X