Is it an allowable expense or capital expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it an allowable expense or capital expense

I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is would this be classed as an allowable expense or a capital expense, if capital would I have to declare it on my Self assessment form?

Thank you.

shipboard

I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
    It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income.

Comment

I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.

Comment

If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one.

Comment

Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all.

Comment

If rendering were done in the iast decade, it would one.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                by Tony-Edwards
                Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
                11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
              • Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                by DoricPixie
                The 7 year rule applies to inheritance tax not how far back a council can go if it suspects you deliberately deprived yourself of capital to avoid paying care home fees. In this case the 7 year rule would not apply to IHT because the house would fall under the Pre-Owned Asset Tax since the parents would...
                13-08-2022, 00:40 AM
                by Neelix
                Not on the attack, but you seem to be evasive...
                12-08-2022, 22:06 PM
                by jpucng62
                If they are left with a house bought 50 years ago and nothing else it certainly hasn't been a financially productive life has it? Either they have earned very little or spent quite a lot. Seems a bit odd to then think there would be anything left for the kids after either scenario....
                12-08-2022, 16:55 PM
                by Tony-Edwards
                Ha-Ha don't try and deflect it back to me.

I posted a scenario with info to ask for peoples views - yet you chose to go on the attack lol...
                12-08-2022, 15:25 PM
                by gnvqsos
                The house is being exchanged for the provision of care .Why should the family inherit the house, benefit from a windfall, and expect others to fund their parental care? The family could fund the care and then house could be inherited as and when the parents pass on.. There is also equity release as...
                12-08-2022, 14:15 PM
                by Neelix
                Then why are you getting involved?...
                12-08-2022, 13:58 PM
                by Tony-Edwards
                Ah how sweet - and clearly you CANNOT READ !!!!!

As previously stated - quite clearly I thought - " (BTW they're not my parents or kids) "...
                12-08-2022, 13:37 PM
                by Hollywood
                I'm not even sure the £86000 lifetime limit has come into being yet. I also think the care home fees have to have the personal care cost element removed.
                12-08-2022, 12:48 PM
                by jpucng62
                Two points:

1. Why should the tax payer pick up the bill for the parents care if they have assets? I really don't understand this point of view.

2. I would rather pay for my care and get a choice than rely on the Council & get possible a worse standard of care.
                12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
              Working...
              X