CGT query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT query

Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife I can fully offset the loss against the gains I make on the property - cgt is payable as I let the property.

My question is is it ok to do this - what will HMRC make of this. As soon as I have submitted form 17 to hmrc I am planning to put the house on sale and hopefully getting it sold within a few months. I have calculated the saving in cgt is 19k.

No SDLT is payable on the transfer between my wife and I as the outstanding mortgage is below the SDLT threshold

What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.

Comment

Reading the below gov page im not sure if i need to complete the sdlt form? My wife is gifting 60% of the property to me but there is a outstanding mortgage of around 70k. Does it mean i am taking on 60% of the mortgage as well? The mortgage has always been in my name.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-du...0or%20services

Comment

Apologies my last post wasnt very clear and I am unable to edit it so I will clarify my query.

When changing beneficial interest does it mean a percentage of the mortgage is also transferred? I have a 70k mortgage which has always been in my name. In 2013 I transferred the property from myself to me(10%) and my wife (90%) and I signed a declaration of solvency which was required by the mortgage lender. Now as per my first comment I am looking to change the interest to 70% me and 30% my wife

The reason I am asking is because I have read the below gov page and it looks like a sdlt form has to be completed when there is debt involved

Comment

Any change to the proportions owned should probably be declared to (or agreed by) the lender - it's usually one of the terms of a mortgage.
            It may not be an issue in your case, though.

I don't see why SDLT will arise, though.
            You're not changing the title - the change in percentage isn't something you'll be registering at the land registry is it?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If your wife assigns 60% interest to you by "deed of assignment " or "deed of trust", there is no change of the registration at Land Registry . So there is not sdlt to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by vik238754 View Post
                Apologies my last post wasnt very clear and I am unable to edit it so I will clarify my query.

When changing beneficial interest does it mean a percentage of the mortgage is also transferred? I have a 70k mortgage which has always been in my name. In 2013 I transferred the property from myself to me(10%) and my wife (90%) and I signed a declaration of solvency which was required by the mortgage lender. Now as per my first comment I am looking to change the interest to 70% me and 30% my wife

The reason I am asking is because I have read the below gov page and it looks like a sdlt form has to be completed when there is debt involved
                Yes, if mortgage is over £40k you'll need to file the SDLT form

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                  Yes, if mortgage is over £40k you'll need to file the SDLT form
                  Why, there's no change in title?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    Any change to the proportions owned should probably be declared to (or agreed by) the lender - it's usually one of the terms of a mortgage.
                    It may not be an issue in your case, though.

I don't see why SDLT will arise, though.
                    You're not changing the title - the change in percentage isn't something you'll be registering at the land registry is it?
                    I don't think I will be registering the percentage change at the land registry. It's something I will confirm with the solicitor who is creating the declaration of trust document.

When I did the transfer in 2013 from me to me and my wife the mortgage liability remained solely with me. We signed a a2e legal mortgage. So I am guessing as the mortgage remains with me there is no issue with transfer of debt in relation to sdlt? I am trying to make sense of the following gov page but it doesnt make a great deal of sense: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...ual/sdltm04040

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      Why, there's no change in title?
                      My bad I misread post as a transfer

Comment

Hi. My solicitor has told me the declaration needs to be registered with the land registry otherwise there will be no effect of creating the declaration. Is this correct?

I have also spoken to my lenders and they have mentioned they will want a new copy of the title. I mentioned to them I am not looking to register at the Land registry and they said ask the solicitor to send through what i am aiming to achieve and the lenders back office will make a decision of whether they want it registered with the Land registry.

I wasnt expecting things to be this difficult. i may abandon doing this

Comment

The Declaration changing the beneficial interest to 70:30 is prepared only for showing to the Tax Office .

The existing registration of 10% :90% legal interest at Land Registry does not change and the Mortgage Lender has already accepted this situation. .

Comment

The existing declaration states 10:90 beneficial interest not legal interest

Comment

I believe your solicitor has to prepare a Deed of Trust which transfers 60 % interest in the property from wife to you.

You need to make clear to your solicitor that Deed is for HMRC only and not for registration at Land Registry

After signing the Deed , you send a Form 17 to HMRC to notify the change to 70: 30 beneficial interest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                                by gnvqsos
                                The house is being exchanged for the provision of care .Why should the family inherit the house, benefit from a windfall, and expect others to fund their parental care? The family could fund the care and then house could be inherited as and when the parents pass on.. There is also equity release as...
                                12-08-2022, 14:15 PM
                              • Giving/Gifting House to Kids
                                by Tony-Edwards
                                Elderly parents in early 80s, one in not so good health.

Lived in the same home (no mortgage etc) for 50+ years - now worth approx £180,000 - £200,000 and they have minimal savings.

Looking ahead, if one has to go into care (or council provided home care) I understand there...
                                11-08-2022, 11:12 AM
                                by Neelix
                                Then why are you getting involved?...
                                12-08-2022, 13:58 PM
                                by Tony-Edwards
                                Ah how sweet - and clearly you CANNOT READ !!!!!

As previously stated - quite clearly I thought - " (BTW they're not my parents or kids) "...
                                12-08-2022, 13:37 PM
                                by Hollywood
                                I'm not even sure the £86000 lifetime limit has come into being yet. I also think the care home fees have to have the personal care cost element removed.
                                12-08-2022, 12:48 PM
                                by jpucng62
                                Two points:

1. Why should the tax payer pick up the bill for the parents care if they have assets? I really don't understand this point of view.

2. I would rather pay for my care and get a choice than rely on the Council & get possible a worse standard of care.
                                12-08-2022, 09:53 AM
                                by royw
                                I'm not quite quite sure why you think they are being robbed? They have assets so can afford to pay for themselves. I would consider the council tax payers - many of whom can only dream of owning their own home - to have been robbed if they have to pay for it.
                                Totally agree about those who could...
                                11-08-2022, 22:45 PM
                              • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by BIGGYBIBIG
                                It would seem there is nobody with any knowledge on here, which is strange as i would have thought many people would have purchased blocks of flats and even if they did pay the wrong stamp duty by mistake as they did not know , HMRC do give you a one year window from completion to claim it back
                                11-08-2022, 18:52 PM
                              • SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by BIGGYBIBIG
                                Hello everyone,
                                I have had an offer accepted on a property purchase, subject to a surveyors report of £395,000 in England.

I am currently looking at surveyors but i just wanted to know where i stand in terms of stamp duty, costs etc.

I have phoned 5 different solicitors
                                10-08-2022, 19:20 PM
                              • Reply to SDLT relief for multiple dwellings
                                by BIGGYBIBIG
                                That is only an example where it says houses the actual term is `dwelling`
                                one title with 2 or more dwelling relief can then be added, however most people are unaware
                                11-08-2022, 18:47 PM
                              Working...
                              X