Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantasy - Moving to Spain - Wealth tax?

This is probably a fantasy post.

I always had my eye on Spain. I feel comfortable in Spain. I liked the idea of say living in Spain for 6 months, during the winter. Spain would be too hot for me in the Summer.

Thanks to Brexit. We don't have freedom of movement. I cant move there beyond 3 months (as tourist).

Even if I can someone get permission to live in there for longer then 3 months. Spain has a wealth tax. They would tax me on the value of UK properties. Both Spain and Portugal have wealth tax. Even if UK rental income is not being sent to Spain, there are tax implications.

Also, I can't up and leave, as I am a responsible landlord. I am a hands-on landlords. I do have agents, but I can't really rely on them. I would get frustrated, if there are situations which need my attention, but I can't visit the property. Although, I would much rather then a peaceful life, with no phone calls with tenant problems.

In theory, I would have to sell up, but I am too young to retire. I could start a business but Spain is wonderful with various pitfalls..... I can't sit by the beach. That is n't me. I do like to wander / explore etc....

Anyone else faced the same dilemma? How are people position life outside the UK?

I’m currently in a tax sweet spot as a temporary resident in Australia. HMRC don’t care about money I earn in Australia and the ATO don’t care about money I earn in the UK. If I go for permanent residency that sweet spot disappears. I’ve for a tax adviser who understands both tax systems who can help me get my affairs in order before losing that sweet spot. If you’re serious about Spain I’d recommend finding someone who understands both systems as you might be able to do something like splitting your time almost 50/50 between the two countries but with 3 weeks elsewhere to keep you under 183 days in either Spain or the UK.

Portugal was somewhere I was thinking about retiring before Brexit and the Australian opportunity came up. After Brexit some investigating found Portugal one of the easiest EU countries to obtain citizenship and therefore an EU passport so is something I might look at again in the future. I don’t think Portugal’s wealth tax is as Spain’s but don’t quote me on that.

Having had my fingers burnt twice (a 100% record) as an overseas landlord I wouldn’t do it again. That said Spain is a bit closer to the UK than Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
      I am a hands-on landlords. I do have agents, but I can't really rely on them. I would get frustrated, if there are situations which need my attention
      Same here. I used to take the view 'why have a dog and bark yourself?'. But I find that all too often if you don't bark, nobody does.

A potential solution of sorts is to switch from residential to commercial but there are transaction cost and CGT implications.
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
        This is probably a fantasy post.

I always had my eye on Spain. I feel comfortable in Spain. I liked the idea of say living in Spain for 6 months, during the winter. Spain would be too hot for me in the Summer.

Thanks to Brexit. We don't have freedom of movement. I cant move there beyond 3 months (as tourist).

Even if I can someone get permission to live in there for longer then 3 months. Spain has a wealth tax. They would tax me on the value of UK properties.

Get a 6 months Schengen area visa. You can then travel freely for that period.

I don't know specifically about Spain but I can get a 6 months visa in the Schengen country of my choice for around 100 euros.

No tax complications.

Incidentally, I reckon they're just using it as a political bargaining chip and it'll all be sorted out in a couple of years. Something like the Swiss have negotiated. Why wouldn't you want self supporting, high net wealth visitors spending their cash in your country?

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          . Why wouldn't you want self supporting, high net wealth visitors spending their cash in your country?
          er, because they're a complete burden on a health system they've never contributed to ?

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

er, because they're a complete burden on a health system they've never contributed to ?
            er, as said, self supporting.

Comment

OP should study the minimum period for Spanish taxes . If your stay in Spain is less than 183 days in any one year , you are not subject to spanish tax on you total income. You only pay 24%| on your rental income from spanish property.

Spanish Wealth tax applies if your total assets is over 700,000 euros. So stay below 700K .

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Why wouldn't you want self supporting, high net wealth visitors spending their cash in your country?
                Er, because we have to be punished for Brexit.

Buy a motorhome or a yacht, 3 months in Spain, 3 months in Morocco (or Gibraltar).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
                  by DoricPixie
                  How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
                  04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
                • SDLT and first time buyers
                  by mpppen
                  Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
                  03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
                  It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
                  04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
                  04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
                  by mpppen
                  Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
                  04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
                  04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
                  by mpppen
                  Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
                  04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Capital gains tax?
                  Who assessed market value?
                  Are they actually paying for this?
                  04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
                • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                  by AndrewDod
                  Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
                  04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
                • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
                  by ss112233
                  This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
                  Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
                  I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
                  03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
                Working...
                X