Self assessment and Capital Gains

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Self assessment and Capital Gains

    Hi All,

    Not posted here for a long time, but hoping someone can advise me.

    I sold my BTL property last October and yes, I know I have missed the deadline for declaring CGT as I assumed it would just be part of my SA return, but just discovered I should have declared it within 60 days.

    Anyway, working through my SA return and its asking if I disposed of any assets and need to declare any gains, but this return is for year 2020-2021, and I didn't sell the property within that period. In fact I will still have rent to declare on 2021-2022 as the property was let until last June. Do I tick the YES box here, as this would indicate that I disposed of the asset and therefore need to declare the gain as being before April 2021. Or do I tick NO and then complete a separate CGT return and hope that the fine for missing the 60 day time limit is not too hefty?

    Any advice appreciated, and before anyone mentions, I don't have an accountant to refer to as have done my SA myself for the last 20 years! Thanks

    You don't include the disposal on this return, because, as you say, the disposal wasn't in this tax year.

    You should complete the CGT return as soon as possible.
    The new deadline is catching lots of people out and I'd hope HMRC are being reasonable with late returns.

    They've said they won't fine people who are late with this actual self-assessment return this year provided it's processed by the end of February, so they're obviously feeling generous.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      The latest tax return cover the period from 6 April 2020 to 5 April 2021. So you have rental income to declare in your 2020/21 tax return.

      Your property was let to Jun 2021 and sold in Oct 2021. So you have a capital gains tax return ( within 60 days ) outstanding.

      And you have rental income for April 2021 - Jun 2021 to declare in 2021-2022 tax return ( submit after 6 April 2022 )


        The deadline for the CGT return was extended to 60 days at the budget and only if the completion date was on or after 27 October 2021. If your completion was before then, you're on the 30 day deadline.

        You'll need to set up a Government Gateway account if you don't have one, and this could take a few days.


        Latest Activity


        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by jpkeates
          It would require the consent of the trustees, one of whom could be you and it would have to be in line with the purpose of the trust.
          If you are not acting in the interest of the beneficiaries, they could try and prevent you doing what you propose.

          I am not at all sure what you're...
          20-05-2022, 16:51 PM
        • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by mpppen
          We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

          I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
          03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by Trevor62
          If I put the property in a trust for them, can I at a later date close the trust and take the property back?...
          20-05-2022, 16:38 PM
        • Selling a property that i own to a limited company
          by platforminc
          Hi All.

          If a property was bought on auction with cash and after the purchase the following issues were noticed after the purchase

          Movement within the building - bulging front elevation walls
          Presence of Asbestos
          Dry rot issues

          My question...
          10-04-2022, 14:20 PM
        • Reply to Selling a property that i own to a limited company
          by platforminc
          To provide an update.
          I have now got the report from the surveyor, he lists the structural issues and what he saw when he visited the property.

          Few questions.

          I have an existing company that has been going for 3 years or so, it has the following SIC codes
          • 41202 - Construction
          20-05-2022, 11:57 AM
        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by jpkeates
          You'd probably be advised (by a proper grown up legal person) to will it to your children, but into a trust if they're under 18.
          20-05-2022, 08:44 AM
        • Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
          by Trevor62
          Thank-you for the link.

          Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

          Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

          Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

          Because I am an old dad and my...
          19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Gordon999
          You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

          The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
          19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
        • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by Ollyn

          I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

          I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

          From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

          18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
        • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
          by ash72
          You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
          18-05-2022, 21:14 PM