VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?

My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant has said that he should be adding VAT at 20%
    In other words a 15% increase on what we have charged previously.
    I cant find anything on-line to confirm if the accountant is right or wrong so what does the panel think ?
    Thanks

If you cannot find it online I do not expect I can. Unless someone comes along with a definitive answer, I think you need to ask the agent to ask his accountant to say what his authority is for his assertion.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how the accountant arrived at 20% VAT on energy bills because it is currently 5% and there is even talk of the government reducing VAT amid soaring energy prices. I might be being unfair but my money is on the letting agent misunderstanding something or not relaying the information properly. I am a bit cynical when it comes to letting agents these days.

Comment

Could it be classified as a business account? We were paying that higher rate for common parts but we changed to domestic with the power co.

Comment

It would be correct in the case of a commercial building that was elected for VAT. But this isn't.

Residential lettings other than furnished holiday lets are VAT exempt. Costs deducted by your agent are disbursements. Charging VAT here sounds wrong to me.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Wow,
            thanks for the quick replies.
            I think the accountant has advised incorrectly wrt the treatment of VAT in this case so Im going to challenge his advice on this.

A couple of years ago I had a similar query wrt VAT however in that case an accountant was instructing his client (freeholder for a flat I l own/ease) to charge VAT on the service charges he passed on to leaseholders.
            I pointed out that those charges should be exempt from VAT and haven't paid them since. No word on recovery of the VAT that I had previously paid though.

Moral of the story - Accountants take a lot of pain away but are not always right

Thanks again

Comment

That's not correct, and I think the agent has either misunderstood or the accountant has been misinformed about what the agent is doing.

And it's going to be costly to the agent.
              Output VAT is payable to the state, because it a tax.
              As the agent isn't actually adding any value to the transaction (because that would be illegal), normally the input VAT would offset it, so there'd be no tax to pay.
              But in this case, the agents paying 15p for every pound charged.

They're going to lose a lot of money.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

The sums would be
                purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
                sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

Agent receives £120, pays £15 (£20 minus £5) to HMRC and is left with £105 which is the same as paid for the total purchase.

Comment

You're right, fuzzy thinking day.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

From what you've said, if the amount of VAT being charged is incorrect, then the agent would be in breach of the Tenant Fees Act

Comment

The electricity bill at 5% VAT should be charged at cost ( as a disbursement ).

The agent charge 20% VAT on his own services.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                        by jpkeates
                        It would require the consent of the trustees, one of whom could be you and it would have to be in line with the purpose of the trust.
                        If you are not acting in the interest of the beneficiaries, they could try and prevent you doing what you propose.

I am not at all sure what you're...
                        20-05-2022, 16:51 PM
                      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                        by mpppen
                        Hello,
                        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                        by Trevor62
                        If I put the property in a trust for them, can I at a later date close the trust and take the property back?...
                        20-05-2022, 16:38 PM
                      • Reply to Selling a property that i own to a limited company
                        by platforminc
                        To provide an update.
                        I have now got the report from the surveyor, he lists the structural issues and what he saw when he visited the property.

Few questions.

I have an existing company that has been going for 3 years or so, it has the following SIC codes
                        • 41202 - Construction
                        20-05-2022, 11:57 AM
                      • Selling a property that i own to a limited company
                        by platforminc
                        Hi All.

If a property was bought on auction with cash and after the purchase the following issues were noticed after the purchase

Movement within the building - bulging front elevation walls
                        Presence of Asbestos
                        Dry rot issues

My question...
                        10-04-2022, 14:20 PM
                        by jpkeates
                        You'd probably be advised (by a proper grown up legal person) to will it to your children, but into a trust if they're under 18.
                        20-05-2022, 08:44 AM
                        by Trevor62
                        Thank-you for the link.

Well my issue is Tax & Assets.

Firstly, I am in the process of building a house in my side garden, when complete I will own two properties.

Will I have to pay stamp duty for the new build?

Because I am an old dad and my...
                        19-05-2022, 19:44 PM
                      • Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                        by Ollyn
                        Hello

I am considering whether to sell my house which has been let for some time and need to see how I can best deal with CGT.

I lived in the property from 1984 until 2006.

From 2006 it has been occupied by tenants, now vacant and being renovated.

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
                      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                        by Gordon999
                        You have owned the property for 38 years ( 1984 - 2022 ) and lived in the property for 22 Years ( 1984-2006 ) plus 16 years for letting..

The total capital gain over 38 years is apportioned between "residence period" ( exempt for cgt ) and "letting period" ( liable...
                        19-05-2022, 10:07 AM
                      • Reply to Capital Gains Tax dilemma
                        by ash72
                        You should seek advice from an accountant, or a property tax for tailored advice to your specific circumstances, you may be entitled to some relief if the property at any time was your own principal residence.
                        18-05-2022, 21:14 PM
                      Working...
                      X