VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?

My agent collects rent from my student tenants along with a monthly utilities charge.as part of their "Bills Inclusive" package
    In the past, the utilities charge to my tenants has always included VAT at 5% (as per normal domestic bills) however the agent has now told me that his accountant has said that he should be adding VAT at 20%
    In other words a 15% increase on what we have charged previously.
    I cant find anything on-line to confirm if the accountant is right or wrong so what does the panel think ?
    Thanks

If you cannot find it online I do not expect I can. Unless someone comes along with a definitive answer, I think you need to ask the agent to ask his accountant to say what his authority is for his assertion.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how the accountant arrived at 20% VAT on energy bills because it is currently 5% and there is even talk of the government reducing VAT amid soaring energy prices. I might be being unfair but my money is on the letting agent misunderstanding something or not relaying the information properly. I am a bit cynical when it comes to letting agents these days.

Comment

Could it be classified as a business account? We were paying that higher rate for common parts but we changed to domestic with the power co.

Comment

It would be correct in the case of a commercial building that was elected for VAT. But this isn't.

Residential lettings other than furnished holiday lets are VAT exempt. Costs deducted by your agent are disbursements. Charging VAT here sounds wrong to me.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Wow,
            thanks for the quick replies.
            I think the accountant has advised incorrectly wrt the treatment of VAT in this case so Im going to challenge his advice on this.

A couple of years ago I had a similar query wrt VAT however in that case an accountant was instructing his client (freeholder for a flat I l own/ease) to charge VAT on the service charges he passed on to leaseholders.
            I pointed out that those charges should be exempt from VAT and haven't paid them since. No word on recovery of the VAT that I had previously paid though.

Moral of the story - Accountants take a lot of pain away but are not always right

Thanks again

Comment

That's not correct, and I think the agent has either misunderstood or the accountant has been misinformed about what the agent is doing.

And it's going to be costly to the agent.
              Output VAT is payable to the state, because it a tax.
              As the agent isn't actually adding any value to the transaction (because that would be illegal), normally the input VAT would offset it, so there'd be no tax to pay.
              But in this case, the agents paying 15p for every pound charged.

They're going to lose a lot of money.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I'm not saying that it's correct for the agent to add VAT (because it's a disbursement not a supply) but if they were adding 20% to the net price they wouldn't be losing any money.

The sums would be
                purchase £100 + 5% VAT = £105
                sale £100 + 20% VAT = £120

Agent receives £120, pays £15 (£20 minus £5) to HMRC and is left with £105 which is the same as paid for the total purchase.

Comment

You're right, fuzzy thinking day.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

From what you've said, if the amount of VAT being charged is incorrect, then the agent would be in breach of the Tenant Fees Act

Comment

The electricity bill at 5% VAT should be charged at cost ( as a disbursement ).

The agent charge 20% VAT on his own services.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                        by AndrewDod
                        Can't see any reason this would be an insured event. Agree it is not a capital expense at all....
                        25-05-2022, 09:25 AM
                        by Another Fine Mess
                        If you dont mind me suggesting, If your Insurance Company is rejecting your claim you could get in touch with a Chartered Loss Assessor who would argue with the Insurance Company Loss Adjuster, its worth a phone call to one....
                        24-05-2022, 16:30 PM
                      • Is it an allowable expense or capital expense
                        by shipboard
                        I rent out a single property, during the winter storms the brickwork was damaged and the cheapest option to repair it was to render the Gable end and rear of the property. I tried to claim on the insurance but they maintained it was due to wear and tear, I am of course disputing this. My question is...
                        24-05-2022, 10:04 AM
                        by gnvqsos
                        I think the insurance company were right-the render must have been distressed to suffer storm damage. You can offset cost against income.
                        24-05-2022, 14:36 PM
                      • Reply to CGT query
                        by Gordon999
                        Hmrc rules allow transfers between spouses without cgt. The recipient spouse takes on the asset at the original purchase price.
                        24-05-2022, 11:16 AM
                        by Gordon999
                        I agree with jpk : it is a maintenance expense which is claimed against rental income....
                        24-05-2022, 11:12 AM
                        by jpkeates
                        I'd say that's a maintenance cost and would be allowed against income.
                        It would affect the value of the property, but only to restore it to the level that it was at prior to the damage (plus the general positive effect of any large maintenance work).
                        24-05-2022, 10:53 AM
                      • CGT query
                        by vik238754
                        Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
                        23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
                      • Reply to CGT query
                        by jpkeates
                        What you are planning to do is routine and HMRC will accept the change as a matter of routine admin.
                        24-05-2022, 09:13 AM
                      • Any property tax experts you can recommend please?
                        by mpppen
                        Hello,
                        We have a small BTL portolio of five properties. Some are in our personal names and the latter ones in a property company we set up a few years' ago when the tax rules changed.

I'd really like to find someone who can advise us of the best way of either bringing the personal...
                        03-03-2022, 20:00 PM
                      Working...
                      X