Recovering CGT on sale of property

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Recovering CGT on sale of property

    Hello. I am considering selling a property that used to be my own home. After taking into account all that I can, I will have a CGT liability of approximately £35,000. I have read somewhere/was told that with careful planning/investment you can effectively recover the tax paid ie max out pension contributions to get a rebate. There was also some sort of investment vehicle that would allow you to get some sort of tax relief, I just can't remember the details. I know this is so vague but am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of such a thing?

    Many thanks for your time and help

    You can defer your CGT by investing in EIS or SEIS shares, or just put it in your SIPP and claim most back.


      Tax relief for reinvestment of gains in qualifying schemes is intended to stimulate investment in small businesses, and is incorporated into the enterprise investment scheme (EIS), as EIS deferral relief. This provides a ready supply of venture capital to growing businesses.

      Deferral relief allows a UK resident investor to defer capital gains tax (CGT) on a chargeable gain arising from the disposal of any asset, or a gain previously deferred, by investing in new shares of a qualifying unquoted trading company.

      The relevant definitions are set out in the EIS legislation. Most trades qualify, but there are a number of exceptions including but not limited to, banking, insurance and other financial activities, and those considered to be 'asset backed' (such as farming, forestry, property development, hotels and nursing homes).

      Above extract copied from :

      Does the EIS legislation include residential property ?


        here is the gov website on capital gains tax relief :


          Two things you can't avoid - death & taxes!


          Latest Activity


          • Advice
            by jhoggard

            I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
            20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
          • Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
            by Bristol_newbie
            Apologies if this has previously been posted, I have searched but can't find much.

            I have recently moved in with my partner and subsequently started renting out my house. I have been lucky enough to make a 5 figure pre-tax profit (most of which will be sunk into paying off my rather high...
            20-01-2022, 09:32 AM
          • Reply to Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
            by OneSmallStep
            Whilst you can't offset the income from your rental, you can easily contribute from your salaried earnings.

            So if your property profit is £12500 pre tax. Then make the same contribution through PAYE to your pension. It is just a case of moving money. If your only source of...
            20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
          • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
            by geeksy

            I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

            One of these has my address on it, not...
            20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
          • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
            by jpkeates
            The chances of HMRC investigating the claim are very small, and I'd keep both receipts just in case.
            20-01-2022, 12:07 PM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by royw
            You can put his half in a bare trust. Do consider the possible consequences though. Your grandson won't be eligible for first time buyer incentives and will have to pay additional stamp duty if he buys his own home.
            20-01-2022, 11:27 AM
          • haring inherited property
            by halfax
            i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
            as anyone done similar?...
            19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by Lawcruncher
            Section 1(6) Law of Property Act 1925:

            A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant

            "Infant" outdated term for "minor"....
            20-01-2022, 10:30 AM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by Lawcruncher
            A deed of variation (aka a deed of family arrangement) is what you need. It should be done within 2 years of death if saving or reducing tax is involved.
            20-01-2022, 10:25 AM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by jpkeates
            You need to speak to a solicitor before doing anything.
            A deed of variation, which changes the will sounds likely to be a sensible option, but it might be more sensible to inherit and put the property into trust with or for your grandson - it depends what you want to achieve and over what time...
            20-01-2022, 09:58 AM