• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    Are there any exemptions from paying cgt, ie medical fees, I have a quite serious illness and would like to use the money to pay for medical
    bill, unfortunately I would pay 30k + in tax and that would leave me short overall I was wondering if its possible to be exempt?
    I have looked at a remortgage but they run a mile so stuck in catch 22.
    Any help would be appreciated

    There are no exemptions from paying CGT that I know of that would help you.

    The only way that CGT is not payable is when a property with a gain is inherited (when it falls under a different tax regime).

    Costs associated with the gain can be deducted from the gain, but that doesn't apply to medical fees.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      No such exemption.

      Unfortunately we don't have an NHS any longer despite the massive amount of money being pumped into the thing. So many staff are "ill", and the managerialism brought in in the Blair years has finally led to collapse and a lack of any commitment by staff.

      Saying you refuse to pay your taxes because it is being spend on people other than yourself (some who have never paid any taxes at all) may be a better argument. Good luck.


      Latest Activity


      • tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by DroidEgg
        I purchased a shell of a house that was structurally sound but needed complete refurbishment. The house had been ransacked many items. eg All the radiators & copper pipe had been ripped from the walls.
        A builder completed all the work from start to finish. The final cost was an all-in job...
        02-07-2022, 10:33 AM
      • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by Gordon999
        The underlying principle is that the cost of buying a property in good condition is clearly capital expenditure. Hence the cost of buying a dilapidated property and putting it in good order is also capital expenditure....
        02-07-2022, 17:21 PM
      • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by dp17
        See the following property income manual, from HMRC , may be of some help.
        02-07-2022, 16:19 PM
      • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by Section20z
        It may certainly be beneficial to allocate some of those expenses to running costs, electrical work required for the NEIC certainly is solely for the letting. Depends how much profit you are likely to make though, you'll have to do some sums .
        02-07-2022, 13:00 PM
      • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by Gordon999
        If you purchased a building shell , and had the builder carry out the refurbishment work , then enter all expenses as an improvement in your records. You paid the builder by cheque and should have kept bank statements to show all payments .

        No need to break down the cost into operating...
        02-07-2022, 11:59 AM
      • Reply to tax / cgt question for renovating property
        by jpkeates
        I'd suggest that based on that description, all of the work was probably capital.
        02-07-2022, 10:43 AM
      • CGT query
        by vik238754
        Hello. Since 2013 my wife and I own a property as tenants in common where the beneficial interest split is 90% her and 10% me. We are now looking to sell the property. I have a large CGT loss and using the HMRC CGT calculator I have calculated that if I change the split to 70% me and 30% my wife...
        23-05-2022, 19:37 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by Gordon999
        I believe your solicitor has to prepare a Deed of Trust which transfers 60 % interest in the property from wife to you.

        You need to make clear to your solicitor that Deed is for HMRC only and not for registration at Land Registry

        After signing the Deed , you...
        01-07-2022, 16:51 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by vik238754
        The existing declaration states 10:90 beneficial interest not legal interest
        01-07-2022, 13:06 PM
      • Reply to CGT query
        by Gordon999
        The Declaration changing the beneficial interest to 70:30 is prepared only for showing to the Tax Office .

        The existing registration of 10% :90% legal interest at Land Registry does not change and the Mortgage Lender has already accepted this situation. .
        01-07-2022, 12:18 PM