• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT and IHT

    I am considering purchasing a second property in joint ownership with my wife. I already own a property outright in joint ownership with my sister (this was purchased in Sep 1998). This property constituted our main residence until Dec 2002. It is now empty and we wish to hold it as an investment property (through student lettings).

    My questions are:

    What are the CGT and IHT liabilities should I proceed to purchase a second property with my wife (as main residence).

    Is it possible to purchase a second property in my wife's name to minimise CGT?

    What are the CGT consequences should my sister wish to buy a second property?

    Is it better to sell the property prior to purchasing a home with my wife?

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nma; 24-02-2005, 12:45 PM. Reason: grammatical correction

    I assume that the property owned with your sister has been the only or main residence from the date of purchase in Sept.1998 to Dec.2002 of both you and your sister. This period plus the final 3 years will be considered to be exempt for CGT. Any other period will be considered to be chargeable. All gains are time-apportioned between exempt and chargeable periods. Gains apportioned to chargeable periods will be further reduced by upto £40,000 lettings relief for each joint owner. Any balance is reduced by taper relief and annual exemption. Any balance is charged to CGT in the year of disposal.

    It is not necessary to sell this property for at least 3 years, but significantly longer due to lettings and other reliefs, after stopping to use it as your only or main residence.

    How and whose name you buy the new property does not affect your CGT position on the above property.

    If you buy another property with your wife, and use this as your new residence, this property will be exempt from CGT. If you subsequently stop using it as your only or main residence before selling, you may have to pay CGT on some of the gains.
    Private advice is available for a fee by sending a private message.


    Latest Activity


    • inherited house - best to sell or rent
      by Wobble1
      Hi all,

      My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
      17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
    • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
      by Sara2
      Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
      13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
    • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
      by Sara2
      I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
      17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
    • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
      by Gordon999
      If you do not inform the Tax Office and just move back to live in the BTL property, the "rental business with tax losses" , can remain in existence for three years.

      But the property owner can notify the Tax Office...
      17-06-2021, 12:28 PM
    • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
      by jpkeates
      But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

      I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us"...
      17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
    • IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
      by clairol
      So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
      The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal...
      16-06-2021, 16:40 PM
    • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
      by Section20z
      Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses ....
      17-06-2021, 09:01 AM
    • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
      by jpkeates
      It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

      It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

      Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio...
      17-06-2021, 08:10 AM
    • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
      by jpkeates
      Surely the business continued (the rent was still owed, even if not paid) and the business continued until the disposal of the property (assuming it was the only property in the business).

      Your interpretation is more appealing if it can be justified....
      17-06-2021, 07:54 AM
    • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
      by jpkeates
      Whoever gave you that advice doesn't understand how CGT works.
      You straight line the increase between purchase and disposal and you can deduct any time the property was your main residence (plus some additional months) as that period's gain is tax free.

      Any valuation when you start...
      17-06-2021, 07:52 AM