Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decreasing tax liability

Hello all,
    I am in a situation where my tax liability will change in jan and I will be 20 K access of 20% tax bracket and fall into 40%. My husband is in 20% bracket and earns around 11 K. Please can you let me know if there is a way to transfer income to my husband form BTL rental income. How do I go about it and how much can it cost. I have 4 BTL properties. Thank you. Kate

The only way (that isn't quite complicated) to share the income is if you are joint owners of the property in some way.
    And it isn't simply a paperwork transaction, the ownership would be real.
    So, the first question is, do you both own any of the properties and if no, are you prepared to give up some of the ownership?

If there are any mortgages on the properties that can complicate things significantly.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Transfer all four into his name. If you think that might end badly, then don't do that.

As said if there are mortgages that is a problem.

Comment

jpkeates yes we own all properties jointly. I am happy to give my part of ownership to my hubby. But we do have mortgages on 3 of the properties out of 4 whose rent is the lowest of all.

Comment

I'm not sure how to follow up here given that my first comment is still held in the dreaded "unapproved"

Comment

Originally posted by Kate foster View Post
            jpkeates yes we own all properties jointly. I am happy to give my part of ownership to my hubby. But we do have mortgages on 3 of the properties out of 4 whose rent is the lowest of all.
            If the properties are owned jointly (and I'm assuming that you are joint tenants - rather than tenants in common), you should almost certainly already be splitting the income (and expenditure for tax purposes) in half.

To change that, to shift a greater proportion to your husband, you would have to change the ownership to be tenants in common - so you both own a defined share of the property. Your mortgage lender is likely to prohibit that, which makes the process impossible.

If they don't (and for the property that isn't mortgaged), once that's done, you can use a trust deed to assign ownership of the property as you wish. So, possibly, 99:1 in favour of your husband. There's a special mechanism (form 17) to notify HMRC of the change.

That's a standard process that most solicitors will handle routinely.
            You can change the proportions when it suite you (for disposal for example).

There are issues with the process - ownership is really transferred, and it affects what happens if either of you die, and more immediately if you divorce.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to SDLT and first time buyers
              by DoricPixie
              How old are these children if they have yet to go to university?...
              04-07-2022, 22:50 PM
            • SDLT and first time buyers
              by mpppen
              Hello again.

Just wondering if someone can advise.

If I sell a BTL to my children who do not own their own property, I understand that they'll get the stamp duty relief.... two questions then.

If they're buying the £350,000 jointly, does the relief count for...
              03-07-2022, 21:52 PM
              by jpkeates
              If the buyers are going to rent the property while they go to university, it may meet the criteria for Stamp Duty Relief but it may not.
              It would be unusual for siblings leaving university to be able to commit to cohabit in a particular place when they graduate.

There's obviously...
              04-07-2022, 15:14 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Apart from anything else, if you are selling the property to the kids, you are getting cash and they have a 100% mortgage - and then they are not actually paying a mortgage on 100% of 350K you will be paying it -- it is not a classic GROB, but risks falling foul of GROB rules - so when you die, even...
              04-07-2022, 14:45 PM
              by mpppen
              Thanks.

Yes, the lender is happy to lend them 100% the purchase price so not gifting on our side. In essence, it's just removing it from our name into theirs as he is also our lender.

It's unusual I appreciate but it's a private commercial lender - if that makes sense. His...
              04-07-2022, 13:55 PM
              by AndrewDod
              A few other comments:

Depending where you are HMRC is not going to believe "no increase in value over past two years". An estate agent assessment may not be worth much at all. If challenged and HMRC do their own assessment you may be paying tax on a 20% uplift of 350K = quite...
              04-07-2022, 13:45 PM
              by mpppen
              Thanks both.

The intent is for them to live there but they may want to rent it out while they go off to university. That's where I'm struggling as to whether the Stamp Duty relief applies or not.

CGT wouldn't apply as the property hasn't increased in value significantly since...
              04-07-2022, 13:11 PM
              by AndrewDod
              Capital gains tax?
              Who assessed market value?
              Are they actually paying for this?
              04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
            • Reply to Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
              by AndrewDod
              Absolutely northing at all to do with capital expenditure
              04-07-2022, 08:31 AM
            • Are letting agent fees(2 year lease,change of tenant) considered allowable expenses
              by ss112233
              This question is about allowable expenses for tax deduction.
              Are letting agent fees for a 24 month lease(with a 16 month break clause) after a change of tenant considered as revenue or capital expenditure?
              I use a cash basis for accounting. The fees were paid in two lump sums. One at the...
              03-07-2022, 13:26 PM
            Working...
            X