Tax implications on loan

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tax implications on loan

    I'm hoping to buy a house in my name, it will be the only property I own. I can fund 75% of the purchase and my brother is lending me the 25%.

    I will live in the house & hope to rent 2 rooms to friends under 'Rent a Room Scheme' & receive rent under the £7,500 a year (IE not have to declare as income)

    I will then repay my brother over a period of time from the rental & other income.

    1 Do you see complications in the above?

    2 If the house cost £180k, I funded £135k & my brother £45k. Can my brother receive the first £45k without declaring it as income as it's a repayment of a loan. If I then pay him more than £45k, how does he declare this 'interest'?
    Or would he be better to treat some of the repayment each year as interest? And would this then be included as part of his £1000 "Personal Saving Allowance" (he is a basic rate tax payer)

    Thanks in advance


    1. Complications? Oh boy, lots of them. I would advise against loaning/borrowing money from family. What happens if you can't pay him back? What happens if he decides he needs the money? What happens if you then sell the house for a huge profit? Will he be happy with that? What if the worst happens and you were to die? Will he be accounted for in your will? etc etc.

    2. You can pay him back his £45k without him paying tax. If you are paying him interest he needs to declare that as income and pay tax appropriately. His problem, not yours.

    You should write it all down in an agreement. What you are borrowing, what you are paying back, how long you will take to pay it back, what proportion of a payment is capital and what is interest etc.

    I would really advise against this. Why could you not get a mortgage? You'd probably get some really good rates at that LTV and would save a lot of potential family grief.


      1 - Not really unless there's a mortgage lender involved. I would get a solicitor to draft a proper loan agreement and advise your brother to take their own legal advice. If one of you dies before the loan is repaid that would avoid a mess.

      2 - If there's no interest, there's no income, the repayment of the principle of a loan isn't income and not an issue for tax. I don't think the interest on this kind of loan qualifies for the personal savings allowance (but it's not something I know that much about, so check with an adult). If you pay more than the principle, that's income and your brother should declare it having told HMRC when he starts to receive an additional source of income.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        I agree with the above - and maybe with the loan agreement which incorporated some sort of insurance , you never can anticipate what is round the corner for ,eg my son broke his hip and was unable to work will take him 3 years to get back to normal - your tenant might fail to pay ending up in arrears and there may be periods when you cant pay your brother when the property becomes empty between tenancies


          Its probably better to have a "loan agreement" with annual interest payable fixed at say 2% ( or whatever rate agreed ) calculated on the balance owing at 5th April.


          Latest Activity


          • Advice
            by jhoggard

            I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
            20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
          • Reply to Advice
            by jpkeates
            1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
            20-01-2022, 16:02 PM
          • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
            by MadLL
            Thank you for your responses. Does anyone have any thought on these EIS schemes, are they as safe as an investment in a rental property?. at least with a rental property you (hopefully) get rent every month and also capital growth - any thoughts?

            20-01-2022, 15:31 PM
          • Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
            by Bristol_newbie
            Apologies if this has previously been posted, I have searched but can't find much.

            I have recently moved in with my partner and subsequently started renting out my house. I have been lucky enough to make a 5 figure pre-tax profit (most of which will be sunk into paying off my rather high...
            20-01-2022, 09:32 AM
          • Reply to Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
            by OneSmallStep
            Whilst you can't offset the income from your rental, you can easily contribute from your salaried earnings.

            So if your property profit is £12500 pre tax. Then make the same contribution through PAYE to your pension. It is just a case of moving money. If your only source of income...
            20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
          • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
            by jpkeates
            The chances of HMRC investigating the claim are very small, and I'd keep both receipts just in case.
            20-01-2022, 12:07 PM
          • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
            by geeksy

            I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

            One of these has my address on it, not...
            20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
          • haring inherited property
            by halfax
            i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
            as anyone done similar?...
            19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by royw
            You can put his half in a bare trust. Do consider the possible consequences though. Your grandson won't be eligible for first time buyer incentives and will have to pay additional stamp duty if he buys his own home.
            20-01-2022, 11:27 AM
          • Reply to haring inherited property
            by Lawcruncher
            Section 1(6) Law of Property Act 1925:

            A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant

            "Infant" outdated term for "minor"....
            20-01-2022, 10:30 AM