HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I'm not conflating things, I'm summarising (not very well) the case law that HMRC (and courts and tribunals) are meant to rely on in determining whether somewhere is your home or not.
    A nomination doesn't require a place to be your home. It doesn't even require you to be living there. Claiming PRR without a nomination does require you to be living there 'according to the facts'. This is clearly not the same thing. As for case law the only case law I can see related to nomination is people who were - quite frankly - taking the piss. No intention to occupy, no past occupation, no paperwork to support any interest in the property other than as a profit-making concern. When making a claim for PRR you are most definitely *not* making a nomination. That's completely different, I can't agree with that, sorry.


    Latest Activity


    • Advice
      by jhoggard

      I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
      20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
    • Reply to Advice
      by jpkeates
      1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
      20-01-2022, 16:02 PM
    • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
      by MadLL
      Thank you for your responses. Does anyone have any thought on these EIS schemes, are they as safe as an investment in a rental property?. at least with a rental property you (hopefully) get rent every month and also capital growth - any thoughts?

      20-01-2022, 15:31 PM
    • Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
      by Bristol_newbie
      Apologies if this has previously been posted, I have searched but can't find much.

      I have recently moved in with my partner and subsequently started renting out my house. I have been lucky enough to make a 5 figure pre-tax profit (most of which will be sunk into paying off my rather high...
      20-01-2022, 09:32 AM
    • Reply to Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
      by OneSmallStep
      Whilst you can't offset the income from your rental, you can easily contribute from your salaried earnings.

      So if your property profit is £12500 pre tax. Then make the same contribution through PAYE to your pension. It is just a case of moving money. If your only source of income...
      20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
    • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
      by jpkeates
      The chances of HMRC investigating the claim are very small, and I'd keep both receipts just in case.
      20-01-2022, 12:07 PM
    • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
      by geeksy

      I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

      One of these has my address on it, not...
      20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
    • haring inherited property
      by halfax
      i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
      as anyone done similar?...
      19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
    • Reply to haring inherited property
      by royw
      You can put his half in a bare trust. Do consider the possible consequences though. Your grandson won't be eligible for first time buyer incentives and will have to pay additional stamp duty if he buys his own home.
      20-01-2022, 11:27 AM
    • Reply to haring inherited property
      by Lawcruncher
      Section 1(6) Law of Property Act 1925:

      A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant

      "Infant" outdated term for "minor"....
      20-01-2022, 10:30 AM