Cladding Bills, BSF and Property Income Expenses

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cladding Bills, BSF and Property Income Expenses

    Hi everyone,
    was preparing my property income self assessment for tax year ending April 2021 and needing help in understanding the expense related to cladding bills. So as we all know, all leaseholders facing cladding issue have now been received the extortionate bills related to cladding remediation. As part of my service charge invoice which was due 1 April 2021, the building management has put two separate charges, one related to overall service charge around 2,500 pounds and one related to cladding remediation of around 15,500 pounds for the half yearly April -Sept 2021 period. Building management sent along separate letter stating that the 15,500 bills are not enforceable since the BSF application is still currently underway (we still have not received application decision). I know that HMRC self assessment should state only expenses that are already paid for during the reported tax year, but interested to know what are the other leaseholders here have prepared for their tax returns? I suppose I should exclude the 15,500 bills from the expense and only put the 2,500 that i have already paid for before 1 April 2021.

    Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

    If you have been billed 15500 for payment on 1 April 2021 ( and still not yet paid) , you can still include the bill as an expense under 2020-2021 because the tax year ends on 5th April 2021.


      Thanks for your response Gordon999.

      i have been using cash basis (not traditional/accrual basis) when submitting self assessment in the past. According to HMRC guidelines, with cash basis you can only count the expenses you’ve actually paid (anything you owe isn’t counted until you pay it) - meaning if i continue to use cash basis on my income tax then i wouldn't be able to include the cladding remediation expenses until i actually paid it?


        I suggest you could include the bill for £15500 in 2020-2021 and state in blank page that "expenses include £15,500 for cladding repairs and payment was due on 1 April 2021 , but not yet paid".


        Latest Activity


        • Advice
          by jhoggard

          I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
          20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
        • Reply to Advice
          by theartfullodger
          Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

          I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
          22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
        • Reply to Advice
          by Gordon999
          1. No. You have not sold the property yet

          2. 19% on profit by company.

          3. Seek advice from accountant.
          22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
        • haring inherited property
          by halfax
          i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
          as anyone done similar?...
          19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
        • Reply to haring inherited property
          by halfax
          thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
          21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
        • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
          by ifallelsefails
          I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:

          He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:

          21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
        • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
          by ifallelsefails
          Having read what Gordon999 posted, it sounds just like what you can get via Crowdcube. Most of the businesses seeking funding on Crowdcube are eligible on the EIS scheme and you get shares in these fledgling businesses. I was only interested in Crowdcube because a number of businesses that I know were...
          21-01-2022, 17:05 PM
        • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
          by geeksy
          Thank you, appreciate your reply.
          21-01-2022, 13:21 PM
        • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
          by geeksy

          I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

          One of these has my address on it, not...
          20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
        • Reply to Advice
          by jpkeates
          1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
          20-01-2022, 16:02 PM