When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?

Doing tax return for 2020-2021, paid accountant at the beginning of this month to check it. I gave them all my expenses including their fees and they put it in the tax return. But now that I thought about it because I paid in the 2021-2022 tax year I should add this expense to the next tax return.

Is it fine to add expenses paid this year to previous tax year? Maybe just an oversight by the accountant.

Expenses should be claimed when they're committed or paid, so it looks like a mistake to me.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The accountant has to start work after 6 April 2021 in order to cover the whole tax year of 2020-2021..

So accountant's bill is correctly entered as an expense in current year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax implications on loan
        by PilGrim
        I'm hoping to buy a house in my name, it will be the only property I own. I can fund 75% of the purchase and my brother is lending me the 25%.

I will live in the house & hope to rent 2 rooms to friends under 'Rent a Room Scheme' & receive rent under the £7,500 a year (IE not have...
        06-12-2021, 21:29 PM
      • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
        by theartfullodger
        You both need to inform HMRC within 30 days, declare all ££££ numbers then pay the CGT within 30 days. Strongly suggest a bot of speed to hopefully reduce fines & penalties.

You're in the same position as someone speeding who tells us he didn't notice the 30mph sign. No defence....
        06-12-2021, 20:31 PM
      • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
        by reluctantlandlord1976
        I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
        06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
      • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
        by lllccc
        A nomination doesn't require a place to be your home. It doesn't even require you to be living there. Claiming PRR without a nomination does require you to be living there 'according to the facts'. This is clearly not the same thing. As for case law the only case law I can see related to nomination...
        06-12-2021, 18:52 PM
      • HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
        by lllccc
        I wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and what would you do about it? I now only own the one property (and live in it), but due to substantial renovation period before moving in the CGT will only increase now (assuming HPI increasing at 3.6% which is not unreasonable). I didn't understand...
        04-12-2021, 14:20 PM
        by jpkeates
        I'm not conflating things, I'm summarising (not very well) the case law that HMRC (and courts and tribunals) are meant to rely on in determining whether somewhere is your home or not.

In what circumstances would HMRC make an assessment of the facts where no nomination has been made....
        06-12-2021, 17:26 PM
        by lllccc
        I just realised there is an allowance for renovation, can be 1 year but can be extended up to 2 years in some circumstances. I guess I should investigate this:
        https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-relief-2...
        06-12-2021, 16:56 PM
        by lllccc
        OK, I don't think you got this quite right. I think you may be conflating two things:

1) The burden of proof for a nomination
        2) HMRC's assessment of the facts as they present themselves where no nomination has been made.

For 1) where your children go to school is irrelevant....
        06-12-2021, 16:53 PM
        by reluctantlandlord1976
        Thanks JP Keates for the comprehensive reply. I will try not to stress but it's not always that easy. I did let HMRC know the property wasn't being rented out so that took me out of the SA system - hence I didn't really pay attention to the lettings world and the sweeping changes passed me by as I...
        06-12-2021, 16:48 PM
        by jpkeates
        1 - You don't have to provide receipts unless challenged on the amounts by HMRC. They're usually not unreasonable about long ago costs, but they're more likely to push back if the claim looks odd. 1980's costs are unlikely to be too significant. But a professional would give proper advice.
        06-12-2021, 15:42 PM
      Working...
      X