When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to claim accountant expense, same year or can it be added to previous year?

Doing tax return for 2020-2021, paid accountant at the beginning of this month to check it. I gave them all my expenses including their fees and they put it in the tax return. But now that I thought about it because I paid in the 2021-2022 tax year I should add this expense to the next tax return.

Is it fine to add expenses paid this year to previous tax year? Maybe just an oversight by the accountant.

Expenses should be claimed when they're committed or paid, so it looks like a mistake to me.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The accountant has to start work after 6 April 2021 in order to cover the whole tax year of 2020-2021..

So accountant's bill is correctly entered as an expense in current year.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Will they raise taxes again?
        by JK0
        My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
        27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
      • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
        by Gordon999
        Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
        30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
      • Reply to Corporation Tax
        by Gordon999
        There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
        30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
        by theartfullodger
        Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
        28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
        by Neelix
        ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
        28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
        by jpkeates
        I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
        28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
        by Neelix
        That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
        28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
        by Neelix
        Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
        28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
        by jpucng62
        Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
        28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
        by JK0
        The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
        27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
      Working...
      X