CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT check appreciated, thanks in advance!

Would really appreciate some help checking figures. Figures below are halved because my sister and I inherit in equal shares.
    • property valued at £187,500 at date of mother's death in Jan 2015
    • recent sale value £217,500
    • improvement costs £5,318
    • costs of sale: £2,440.50
    • no reliefs
    • my profit from property this tax year will probably be around £13,000 (i.e. my income as I have no other taxable form of income)
    I estimate that these figures should result in a bill of approx £1,350 in CGT. Is that correct?

I will use all my personal tax allowance this year but my wife won't. Her taxable income from property is likely to be only £1,000 for various reasons. Would it therefore be possible for us to transfer some of her personal allowance to me to wipe out this CGT bill or is it the wrong type of allowance?

a) CGT has nothing to do with the personal allowance (there is a separate CGT allowance). If you have already sold it, it is too late to involve wife. Your other income is only of marginal relevance apart from whether it puts you into higher rate tax.

b) ballpark 218-187 = 31
    31-5 = 26
    26 - 2 = 24

24 minus 12K CGT allowance = 12

Tax 18% of 12 = £2600

Was the probate value the ACTUAL declared value at probate?

Was this property letted?

Comment

My Calculation is :

Sale proceeds = £217,500 - £2440.50 = £ 215,060

Cost = £ 187,500 + £5318 ( improvements ) = £192,818.

Total Gain after sale = £215,060 - £192,818 = £ 22, 242

= £11,121 ( shared between 2 persons) Capital gains allowance = £12,300 So No Tax. to pay.

Comment

Yes that is correct - I missed the first line which said that you are only selling half the place. No need to invoke your wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          = £11,121 ( shared between 2 persons) Capital gains allowance = £12,300 So No Tax. to pay.
          thanks for your comments everyone. Alas Gordon999, although you were aware of my first statement that the property was shared between two of us, the figures I gave were already halved. You then went on and halved the gain which effectively halved the figures once more! My gain is around the £22K figure you arrived at so it seems there will be some CGT to pay at the 18% rate.

Yes, the property was let at sale. Does that make a difference?

The property was actually sold by the estate and the monies divided by the solicitor between my sister and I. Is there any relevance to the fact that the property was never in our names?

I've asked the solicitor who has been handling our probate whether the estate can pick up our CGT because it was only because of negligent legal advice (from former probate solicitors) that we ended up with a 7-year delay to probate. Otherwise, we would have sold it in early 2015. However, we'd obviously not have inherited as much cash had we done that so perhaps I shouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth.

Had I been more savvy, I would have spent estate funds adding a further value to the property through improvements to wipe out our CGT, as was my right to do as executor. Goodness knows the property needed it in places!

Comment

I'd imagine it would be payable as CGT by the individuals. Certainly that would apply to interest earned on savings during probate so don't think CGT would be different. It is definitely not payable by the estate (that would be grossly unfair to some beneficiaries who had not used various allowances). Anyway if you wanted that you would be paying both CGT from the estate and more inheritance tax at 40% based on a higher probate value ... since even this one property is above the threshold... can't have it both ways.

Comment

OK. Your capital gain =£22,242 less £12, 300 = £9942 x 18% = £ 1790 tax bill to pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax implications on loan
                by PilGrim
                I'm hoping to buy a house in my name, it will be the only property I own. I can fund 75% of the purchase and my brother is lending me the 25%.

I will live in the house & hope to rent 2 rooms to friends under 'Rent a Room Scheme' & receive rent under the £7,500 a year (IE not have...
                06-12-2021, 21:29 PM
              • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
                06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
              • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
                by theartfullodger
                You both need to inform HMRC within 30 days, declare all ££££ numbers then pay the CGT within 30 days. Strongly suggest a bot of speed to hopefully reduce fines & penalties.

You're in the same position as someone speeding who tells us he didn't notice the 30mph sign. No defence....
                06-12-2021, 20:31 PM
              • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
                by lllccc
                A nomination doesn't require a place to be your home. It doesn't even require you to be living there. Claiming PRR without a nomination does require you to be living there 'according to the facts'. This is clearly not the same thing. As for case law the only case law I can see related to nomination...
                06-12-2021, 18:52 PM
              • HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
                by lllccc
                I wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and what would you do about it? I now only own the one property (and live in it), but due to substantial renovation period before moving in the CGT will only increase now (assuming HPI increasing at 3.6% which is not unreasonable). I didn't understand...
                04-12-2021, 14:20 PM
                by jpkeates
                I'm not conflating things, I'm summarising (not very well) the case law that HMRC (and courts and tribunals) are meant to rely on in determining whether somewhere is your home or not.

In what circumstances would HMRC make an assessment of the facts where no nomination has been made....
                06-12-2021, 17:26 PM
                by lllccc
                I just realised there is an allowance for renovation, can be 1 year but can be extended up to 2 years in some circumstances. I guess I should investigate this:
                https://www.gov.uk/government/public...dence-relief-2...
                06-12-2021, 16:56 PM
                by lllccc
                OK, I don't think you got this quite right. I think you may be conflating two things:

1) The burden of proof for a nomination
                2) HMRC's assessment of the facts as they present themselves where no nomination has been made.

For 1) where your children go to school is irrelevant....
                06-12-2021, 16:53 PM
                by reluctantlandlord1976
                Thanks JP Keates for the comprehensive reply. I will try not to stress but it's not always that easy. I did let HMRC know the property wasn't being rented out so that took me out of the SA system - hence I didn't really pay attention to the lettings world and the sweeping changes passed me by as I...
                06-12-2021, 16:48 PM
                by jpkeates
                1 - You don't have to provide receipts unless challenged on the amounts by HMRC. They're usually not unreasonable about long ago costs, but they're more likely to push back if the claim looks odd. 1980's costs are unlikely to be too significant. But a professional would give proper advice.
                06-12-2021, 15:42 PM
              Working...
              X