CGT Query

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT Query

    I have never claimed CGT allowance but may need to after selling an inherited property. The property gained in value during probate. The sold price was £153k and the valuation at death for 'capital gains purposes' was £130000. There are 3 shares. My share of selling price is £51k and share of gain is £7667.
    Are my 'proceeds' £51k (before deducting legal and marketng fees) or £7667?
    If £51k, does that mean I MUST note the capital gain, as that value is more than 4 times the CGT threshold?
    If I do need to note in my Self Assessment, will the gain of £7667 be addded t my income, hence paying 20% tax on that also, along with the profit from my rental property?
    Apologies in advance if my queries sound dumb.

    The property sold for £153K minus £130K ( acquisition cost) = £23K capital gain.

    For one third share, sale proceeds was £51K minus £43,333 ( acquisition cost ) = £7,667 capital gain.

    The CGT personal allowance ( tax free) = £12,300 . Therefore Nil tax to pay.


      As Gordon says. How was it valued for probate purposes?


        Thank you for replies. Re how it was valued, this is where my head spins. Our mum passed away around 8 years ago. We got probate in 2019. Property was transferred into 3 siblings names in 2020, so that we could benefit from personal CGT allowance. The solicitor sent us a document 'for hmrc cgt purposes' which was a valuation by a surveyor - this was sent to us just after the title transfer. On that document, it quotes the value - 'as at death', as £130000, and inspection date of 2020. It sold for £153k in Autumn of 2020.
        I've been told to use the 'valuation as at death' for cgt calculation.
        I now understand what computation is. If there is no cgt to pay, do I still need to put that in?


          - You have to submit the CGT calculations within 30 days regardless of whether there is CGT to pay (else you get large and increasing fines)

          No it is not added to your income for this purpose


            Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
            I asked my solicitor about the 30 day rule and he emailed me back saying I didn't need to do this as no cgt to pay but, as I do a yearly self assessment, to include it my self assessment. I'll be sending it off this week. There's a website called 'xxxx' which has a table about who does and does not need to report within 30 days. It says if no tax to pay, don't need to do 30 day reporting thing. I'm now worried ++.
            Do I need to include a computation? Hope someone can advise.


            Latest Activity


            • Tax implications on loan
              by PilGrim
              I'm hoping to buy a house in my name, it will be the only property I own. I can fund 75% of the purchase and my brother is lending me the 25%.

              I will live in the house & hope to rent 2 rooms to friends under 'Rent a Room Scheme' & receive rent under the £7,500 a year (IE not have...
              06-12-2021, 21:29 PM
            • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by theartfullodger
              You both need to inform HMRC within 30 days, declare all ££££ numbers then pay the CGT within 30 days. Strongly suggest a bot of speed to hopefully reduce fines & penalties.

              You're in the same position as someone speeding who tells us he didn't notice the 30mph sign. No defence....
              06-12-2021, 20:31 PM
            • Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              I appreciate 'ignorance' is no excuse, however there are some mitigating factors, i.e. due to illness etc.

              1. Previous family home rented out - terrible tenants - left owing rent, bad repairs etc. [usual story for some] subsequently property not let for 2 years for a number of reasons while...
              06-12-2021, 13:51 PM
            • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
              by lllccc
              A nomination doesn't require a place to be your home. It doesn't even require you to be living there. Claiming PRR without a nomination does require you to be living there 'according to the facts'. This is clearly not the same thing. As for case law the only case law I can see related to nomination...
              06-12-2021, 18:52 PM
            • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
              by jpkeates
              I'm not conflating things, I'm summarising (not very well) the case law that HMRC (and courts and tribunals) are meant to rely on in determining whether somewhere is your home or not.

              In what circumstances would HMRC make an assessment of the facts where no nomination has been made....
              06-12-2021, 17:26 PM
            • HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
              by lllccc
              I wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and what would you do about it? I now only own the one property (and live in it), but due to substantial renovation period before moving in the CGT will only increase now (assuming HPI increasing at 3.6% which is not unreasonable). I didn't understand...
              04-12-2021, 14:20 PM
            • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
              by lllccc
              I just realised there is an allowance for renovation, can be 1 year but can be extended up to 2 years in some circumstances. I guess I should investigate this:
              06-12-2021, 16:56 PM
            • Reply to HPI out-pacing PRR accumulation
              by lllccc
              OK, I don't think you got this quite right. I think you may be conflating two things:

              1) The burden of proof for a nomination
              2) HMRC's assessment of the facts as they present themselves where no nomination has been made.

              For 1) where your children go to school is irrelevant....
              06-12-2021, 16:53 PM
            • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by reluctantlandlord1976
              Thanks JP Keates for the comprehensive reply. I will try not to stress but it's not always that easy. I did let HMRC know the property wasn't being rented out so that took me out of the SA system - hence I didn't really pay attention to the lettings world and the sweeping changes passed me by as I...
              06-12-2021, 16:48 PM
            • Reply to Caught out by changes to Capital Gains Tax
              by jpkeates
              1 - You don't have to provide receipts unless challenged on the amounts by HMRC. They're usually not unreasonable about long ago costs, but they're more likely to push back if the claim looks odd. 1980's costs are unlikely to be too significant. But a professional would give proper advice.
              06-12-2021, 15:42 PM