CGT Query

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CGT Query

    I have never claimed CGT allowance but may need to after selling an inherited property. The property gained in value during probate. The sold price was £153k and the valuation at death for 'capital gains purposes' was £130000. There are 3 shares. My share of selling price is £51k and share of gain is £7667.
    Are my 'proceeds' £51k (before deducting legal and marketng fees) or £7667?
    If £51k, does that mean I MUST note the capital gain, as that value is more than 4 times the CGT threshold?
    If I do need to note in my Self Assessment, will the gain of £7667 be addded t my income, hence paying 20% tax on that also, along with the profit from my rental property?
    Apologies in advance if my queries sound dumb.

    The property sold for £153K minus £130K ( acquisition cost) = £23K capital gain.

    For one third share, sale proceeds was £51K minus £43,333 ( acquisition cost ) = £7,667 capital gain.

    The CGT personal allowance ( tax free) = £12,300 . Therefore Nil tax to pay.


      As Gordon says. How was it valued for probate purposes?


        Thank you for replies. Re how it was valued, this is where my head spins. Our mum passed away around 8 years ago. We got probate in 2019. Property was transferred into 3 siblings names in 2020, so that we could benefit from personal CGT allowance. The solicitor sent us a document 'for hmrc cgt purposes' which was a valuation by a surveyor - this was sent to us just after the title transfer. On that document, it quotes the value - 'as at death', as £130000, and inspection date of 2020. It sold for £153k in Autumn of 2020.
        I've been told to use the 'valuation as at death' for cgt calculation.
        I now understand what computation is. If there is no cgt to pay, do I still need to put that in?


          - You have to submit the CGT calculations within 30 days regardless of whether there is CGT to pay (else you get large and increasing fines)

          No it is not added to your income for this purpose


            Thanks for reply, much appreciated.
            I asked my solicitor about the 30 day rule and he emailed me back saying I didn't need to do this as no cgt to pay but, as I do a yearly self assessment, to include it my self assessment. I'll be sending it off this week. There's a website called 'xxxx' which has a table about who does and does not need to report within 30 days. It says if no tax to pay, don't need to do 30 day reporting thing. I'm now worried ++.
            Do I need to include a computation? Hope someone can advise.


            Latest Activity


            • Reply to Advice
              by jpkeates
              1 - Yes, the company will have to buy the property and you will be selling it. So there's a CGT "event" for you and the business will pay SDLT. You need to think about structure if you're going to borrow to grow, most lenders will want one company per property and director's personal guarantees....
              20-01-2022, 16:02 PM
            • Advice
              by jhoggard

              I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
              20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
            • Reply to Recovering CGT on sale of property
              by MadLL
              Thank you for your responses. Does anyone have any thought on these EIS schemes, are they as safe as an investment in a rental property?. at least with a rental property you (hopefully) get rent every month and also capital growth - any thoughts?

              20-01-2022, 15:31 PM
            • Reply to Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
              by OneSmallStep
              Whilst you can't offset the income from your rental, you can easily contribute from your salaried earnings.

              So if your property profit is £12500 pre tax. Then make the same contribution through PAYE to your pension. It is just a case of moving money. If your only source of...
              20-01-2022, 12:35 PM
            • Offsetting taxable profits with Pension contributions
              by Bristol_newbie
              Apologies if this has previously been posted, I have searched but can't find much.

              I have recently moved in with my partner and subsequently started renting out my house. I have been lucky enough to make a 5 figure pre-tax profit (most of which will be sunk into paying off my rather high...
              20-01-2022, 09:32 AM
            • Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
              by geeksy

              I need to claim an expense (£1500) for the bathroom and attic renovation work done in the property I let. I have two receipts for the same purchase, one originally issued and the second subsequently issued with additional two items.

              One of these has my address on it, not...
              20-01-2022, 11:39 AM
            • Reply to Expense claim - Name and address in the receipt
              by jpkeates
              The chances of HMRC investigating the claim are very small, and I'd keep both receipts just in case.
              20-01-2022, 12:07 PM
            • haring inherited property
              by halfax
              i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
              as anyone done similar?...
              19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
            • Reply to haring inherited property
              by royw
              You can put his half in a bare trust. Do consider the possible consequences though. Your grandson won't be eligible for first time buyer incentives and will have to pay additional stamp duty if he buys his own home.
              20-01-2022, 11:27 AM
            • Reply to haring inherited property
              by Lawcruncher
              Section 1(6) Law of Property Act 1925:

              A legal estate is not capable of subsisting or of being created in an undivided share in land or of being held by an infant

              "Infant" outdated term for "minor"....
              20-01-2022, 10:30 AM