Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon999
    replied
    If you paid £50 for replacement picture, just book the £50 cost as allowable operating expense against the rental income. Nobody can prove this £50 expense is an "improvement to your property".

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    If something is purchased wholly and exclusively for the business it's an allowable expense of one kind or another.
    It doesn't have to be a sensible thing to buy, it just has to have been bought for the business.

If it were a gift it would not be allowable, but it's hard to see how a replacement item of furniture is a gift.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Originally posted by nukecad View Post
    I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that
    As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.

Leave a comment:

• jtufty
    replied
    ram,

Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Originally posted by jtufty View Post
    Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
    You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Originally posted by jtufty View Post
    I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
    We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
    So pictures ? not sure.
    I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.

Leave a comment:

• jtufty
    replied
    Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
    There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
    £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• jtufty
    started a topic Damaged artwork expense

Damaged artwork expense

Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought something quite nice, £50.

I know I cant claim the full £50 as an expense (or can I?), but can I claim £10 which is my estimated value of what the old picture was worth? (and the mileage to drive to the shop?)

Like I say, very minor thing, but thought Id ask the question.

Thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Will they raise taxes again?
    by JK0
    My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
    27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
  • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
    by Gordon999
    Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
    30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
  • Reply to Corporation Tax
    by Gordon999
    There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
    30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
    by theartfullodger
    Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
    28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
    by Neelix
    ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
    28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
    by jpkeates
    I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
    28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
    by Neelix
    That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
    28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
    by Neelix
    Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
    28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
    by jpucng62
    Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
    28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
    by JK0
    The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
    27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
Working...
X