Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company

Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property to a LTD company as we do not have the funds available.

I am a higher rate tax payer so for tax efficiency I am wondering whether it is possible to lease my property to a letting company (owned by myself). The rent will therefore be taxed at 20% Corporation Tax, rather than the 40% tax rate which would apply if I let the property as an individual.

I understand that there will be limited relief on my interest cost operating in this model but the upside tax saving at 20% on the holiday let income should outweigh this cost

Does anyone have any experience in operating this strategy?

Many thanks,

Soparles

It is very unlikely that your lender will allow a consent to let for either a holiday let or letting to a company.
    So, the first hurdle may be a showstopper.

I don't think HMRC would allow the arrangement that you are proposing.
    If you lease the property to your own limited company, you would be expected to charge your company rent (otherwise it's not a lease) and you'd be expected to charge something like a market rate (otherwise it would probably be tax evasion).

So you would still have some income taxed at 40% and your business would have a rent cost to offset against its own income. As you point out, your personal income would have a restriction on the interest cost that could be offset against tax.

But the secondary details are probably academic, as the mortgage change is likely to be an issue - even if the lender allows the use as a holiday let (which some might) letting to a company would be a problem (because that's a commercial lease).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of arrangement can be used: https://www.directhousebuyer.co.uk/l...-tax-loophole/

I am thinking that the arrangement would look something like this:

Mortgage cost at £10k
      Rental income from LTD company £10k
      Disregarding expenses, I would pay 40% income tax = £4,000
      Income generated by holiday let business £50k
      Disregarding expenses, I would pay 20% Corporation Tax = £10,000

Total Tax = £14,000

This compares with a £20,000 tax bill which would be required should the holiday let income be added directly to my income.

This is obviously a very high-level comparison as it disregards expenses etc which would reduce the tax bills in both scenarios.

Are you also able to explain why letting to a company would be a problem, please?

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation tax = £7600.

Company pays £10K rent plus £7600 Corporation Tax.= £32,400 remaining for payment to you as "dividend"

(c) You receive £32,400 dividend , £2K is tax free.but £30,400 is charged at 32.5% = £9880 tax.

Total tax bill is £4000 ( you ) + £7600 ( Company ) + £9880 ( you) = £21,480, and

leaving you £6000 ( rent) + £20,520 ( div) = £26,520 in hand..

Comment

Originally posted by Soparles View Post
          I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.
          Are you also able to explain why letting to a company would be a problem, please?
          If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
          If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from the subject it's discussing, making it clear that its only discussing what is being discussed by landlords online, which makes the reference a little circular.

And, as Gordon has highlighted, the scheme ignores the issue of how you get your money out.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Will they raise taxes again?
              by JK0
              My accountant just finished my 2020/21 tax return, and my income is half of the previous year. I did not think it would be quite that bad. (Half my tenants moved out, and I had a job to replace them. Plus had to get fourteen EICR's!)

I'm guessing you guys are in a similar boat. Never mind...
              27-11-2021, 20:20 PM
            • Reply to Will they raise taxes again?
              by Gordon999
              Corporation tax for large companies ( over £250K profit ) will be raised from 19% to 25% rate commencing from April 2023.
              30-11-2021, 21:35 PM
            • Reply to Corporation Tax
              by Gordon999
              There seems to be 2 problems ( I am not an accountant ) :

(1.) The company has to pay £30,000 tax due to revaluation of property asset increased higher by £150,000 ( estimated). Does it have the cash in its bank account to pay ?

( 2) husband owns one third interest of property...
              30-11-2021, 14:09 PM
              by theartfullodger
              Taxes bound to go up, huge amounts to pay for Covid & BR*X*it. Death & taxes, death & taxes.

Holding off working out my position, wishing to remain cheerful for Christmas.

Best wishes to all...
              28-11-2021, 10:45 AM
              by Neelix
              ^^ please don’t take this the wrong way but £10 k down on what turnover or number of properties?

i’ve done a lot of EICRs and remedial work over the last 18 months and a lot of it was because properties hadn’t been inspected and some were just dangerous....
              28-11-2021, 10:29 AM
              by jpkeates
              I'm about £10k down and it's mostly electrical work.

I can't see this government putting up taxes anymore before the next election, although there's nothing to say that they won't figure out how to tax landlords more specifically - there's few votes lost there.

My candidate...
              28-11-2021, 10:07 AM
              by Neelix
              That's a lots of unsatisfactory EICR's and remedial work - so not annual costs!...
              28-11-2021, 09:00 AM
              by Neelix
              Wow.

So that must be lots of unsatisfactory reports and lots of remedial work.

so not annual Costa...
              28-11-2021, 08:31 AM
              by jpucng62
              Clearly you were a bit behind on your electrical work!...
              28-11-2021, 06:58 AM
              by JK0
              The EICR's cost around £12k in total....
              27-11-2021, 22:48 PM
            Working...
            X