Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent 2 Rent Tax Return

Hi,

I'm currently receiving the rental income for my dads properties. I'm currently fully managing the properties for him and the tenants are paying the rent into my account. Once I receive the rent, I pay my dad a fixed amount and I keep the rest. Is this legal? And if so, do I pay tax on the full amount paid into my account or after deductions.

Thanks

It's legal.

If you're named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements, your business is rent to rent.
    The amount you pay your father is a business expense, so you'll end up paying tax on the profit, but you need to declare the full amount as income and the payment to your father as a cost.

If your father is named as the landlord, you're his agent (and the income is his and you're taking a fee).
    In that case the amount you don't pass on is all income and that's what you declare as the income for your business.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This is really helpful. My dad has changed the tenancy agreement and named me as landlord, so all payments are made to me. Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?

Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment the amounts I pay my dad have been agreed verbally.

Comment

Originally posted by dhoops97 View Post
        Therefore, all I need to do is declare all the income in the year as income and any payments to my dad, as expenses?
        Yes - that's essentially it.

You should contact HMRC and tell them that you have a new source of income as a landlord and they'll tell you how they want you to report the income (probably an annual self assessment tax return).
        In a couple of years you'll need to do quarterly returns online (in line with everyone else) as they roll out a digital tax initiative.

Also, does this need to be in writing. At the moment the amounts I pay my dad have been agreed verbally.
        It doesn't need to be in writing, but it's always helpful if something goes wrong.
        Doesn't have to be a huge legal document either, but it's worthwhile considering in normal English stuff like what happens if your tenant doesn't pay rent, does your father still expect you to pay him.
        And who pays for repairs - a new boiler could be a big outgoing for one of you.

The older your father is the more useful this will be (and the same if you're not an only child).

And, for everyone's sake, make sure you have the basic idea of what you're doing.
        Being a landlord is easy when everything is going fine, the rent's being paid each month and you're just dealing with the odd bit of maintenance, but when things go wrong and if you don't know what you're doing, it can feel like the hardest job imaginable.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi,

Further to my question, when filling out the self assessment, do I need to attach a bank statement showing the income and expense (payment to my dad, the owner) or can I just input the amounts

Comment

Also, the money that you pay the owner (my dad), what is this classed as on the Self assessment (in terms of business expenses)

Comment

Originally posted by dhoops97 View Post
              Further to my question, when filling out the self assessment, do I need to attach a bank statement showing the income and expense (payment to my dad, the owner) or can I just input the amounts
              The tax return is simply a summary, you don’t need to supply anything to back it up unless you’re asked to.

Don’t forget that your costs are income for your father which he has to declare in turn.

Comment

Thank you! The income for my father, what category of business expense is that for me? Does it go under rent, rates for example?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Damaged artwork expense
                  by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
                  25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
                • Damaged artwork expense
                  by jtufty
                  Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
                  24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
                  by nukecad
                  I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
                  25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                  by jtufty
                  Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
                  25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
                  by Section20z
                  You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
                  25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
                  by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
                  So pictures ? not sure.
                  I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
                  25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                  by jtufty
                  Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
                  25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
                  There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
                  24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                  by Section20z
                  That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
                  £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
                  24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
                • Let Property Campaign.
                  by armour
                  Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                  13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
                Working...
                X