Only home and rented for 6 months in 7 years of living inside, CGT to pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only home and rented for 6 months in 7 years of living inside, CGT to pay?

Hello,

Apologies if the question is similar to many others.

I bought a flat in 2015 and lived inside until today, so about 7 years. I spent 6 months outside UK for work and took the opportunity to let it for the period. The difference in value between 2015 and today is about £50,000. I'm a european and planning to leave the country, because my dad recently died in the country of origin and I need to look after the family down there.

I have very little knowledge about GCT and would like to understand if I'm supposed to pay it and eventually the amount?

Regards.

You will need to do a tax return within 30 days of sale if you are a UK taxpayer.
    But there should be no CGT to pay.

While there would be a taxable period while the property was let, you get an allowance for renting your own home, which includes 9 months additional tax free period, which is longer than you rented it out.
    So all of the gain will not be subject to tax
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree no CGT to pay.

You are liable for CGT but you can claim private residence relief .

Tax when you sell your home - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Comment

jpkeates,

Thank you for your help. My understanding is that the 9 months are an allowance for the last period (9 months) before the sale, but again I'm quite confused.

I let the flat in 2020 for 6 months and after that I got back inside. It is currently my place of residence and only home.

I found, however, that since I lived outside UK for work during such period of letting there is a partial relief from CGT, because of a clause pertaining the distance from work.

Comment

Gordon999,

Thank you! These are welcomed news, I'm still confused however about the 6 months in which I let the flat while I was working outside the UK. I think I read that these can be claimed as well, because I was away for work, but am unsure.

Comment

The nine months is simply a number to be added to the number of months that you lived there.
            If you owned the property for 10 years, lived in it for 6 and let it for 4, before the residential relief, you would have 48 months taxable gain and 72 months gain with no tax to pay.
            After the relief is applied, you would have 39 months taxable gain and 81 months gain with no tax to pay.

The 9 months don't apply to any particular period, they're just an element of the calculation.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you so much! Great news!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                by armour
                No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
                23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
              • Let Property Campaign.
                by armour
                Hi all,

A friend of mine has been renting out a flat since 2004 and has not declared any of the income to HMRC in all that time.

She wants to come clean and pay the accumulated income tax she owes by making a non-prompted disclosure using the Let Property Campaign system....
                13-09-2021, 13:45 PM
              • Reply to Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
                by Soparles
                Thanks guys, that’s all understood.

The plan would be to retain all profits within the business to invest in BTL property, so no need for dividends.

Thanks.
                22-09-2021, 10:51 AM
              • Lease my primary residence to my own LTD company
                by Soparles
                Hello,

I own a property on a typical residential mortgage and I am moving to the south. My plan is to obtain a consent to let from my mortgage provider and let the property out as a holiday let. I do not plan to buy another property at this time nor do I want to transfer this property...
                21-09-2021, 07:15 AM
                by jpkeates
                If the advice from the lender didn't include a discussion about leasing the property to a company, I'd have the conversation again.
                If it did, and the lender doesn't have an issue with it, my concern is clearly academic.

The article you linked to is clearly separating itself from...
                22-09-2021, 09:57 AM
                by Gordon999
                ( a) I agree adding holiday let income to your own income ,tax on £50K at 40% = £20K , leaving you with £30K in hand .

(b) If you let to Ltd Company at £10K, your tax = £4000.,

The company taxable income = £50K - £10K rent = £40K charged at 19% corporation...
                22-09-2021, 09:48 AM
              • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
                by Gordon999
                I agree with jpk. Your entry cost is £200K. + £5K sdlt + conveyancing solicitor costs + Land Registry costs.
                22-09-2021, 07:47 AM
              • SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
                by Sol_1969
                Say my wife and I buy a house as a second house. We would pay SDLT at the current rate plus 3%.

If in a few years' time we sell the house and the house has gone up by a considerable amount such that we have to pay CGT.

On selling, is the full SDLT paid recoverable against our...
                22-09-2021, 06:03 AM
              • Reply to SDLT Recovery on Selling Query
                by jpkeates
                SDLT is a cost associated with the purchase and can be deducted from the gain before tax is calculated.
                22-09-2021, 07:36 AM
                by Soparles
                Thanks for your detailed response jpkeates.

I have already received separate advice from the lender regarding the consent to let so I am not particularly concerned with this point.

I have done some reading and have found this link which seems to suggest that this type of...
                22-09-2021, 05:58 AM
              Working...
              X