Changing percentage of ownership of BTL - too late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing percentage of ownership of BTL - too late?

Good evening - the time has come to sell my BTL property - my wife and I used to live in it and currently she 'owns' 99% of it and i own 1% of it. With the loss of the lettings relief I'm thinking I could reduce my CGT by changing it back to 50/50 so that I can maximise my personal allowance and private residence relief - my question is - have I missed the boat? Is it to late to change it now that I am selling?

Nope, you can change it anytime.
    How will depend on how you set it it 99:1
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

But your overall PRR will not be any different - so your only advantage is in the extra CGT allowance (and if it will stop one of you from becoming a higher rate taxpayer).

Comment

Ah ok - I used to be much more up to speed with it all but have taken my eye off the ball somewhat.........so PRR is split in the same percentage as ownership? For some reason I had got it into my head that each of us could claim the total amount!

Comment

There is no total amount (and even less so than before) apart from the main CGT exemption. PPR (+ an added 9 months under some circumstances) just reduces the taxable gain by the proportion of the PPR period.

Simplistic example

House owned by person A alone
          Raw gain (sale-purchase costs) = 100K
          Lived there 50% of the time
          Taxable gain 100-(0.5*100) = 50

House owned by person A and B in equal share
          Raw gain (sale-purchase costs) = 100K
          Lived there 50% of the time
          Taxable gain A = 50-(0.5*50) = 25
          Taxable gain B = 50-(0.5*50) = 25

Lettings relief is no longer in existence for most people.

Comment

Got it - thankyou for taking the time to respond, much appreciated :-)

Comment

For calculating the total capital gain = Sale Proceeds minus Buying Costs minus Improvements Costs ..

For taxable Capital Gain , the total capital gain is multiplied by rental period.( less 9 months) divided by total period of ownership.

The taxable gain is apportion between W : 99% and H:1%

If you wish to change back to 50 : 50 or to another ratio , you must cancel the current DOT by preparing a new DOT and send a form 17 to Tax Office within 60 days of signing. This procedure must be completed before the exchange of sale contract date.

Comment

And that's ok with HMRC? That would allow me to use all of my personal tax allowance which would of course be of some assistance in reducing the overall CGT? It was exactly this option that I was considering!

Comment

Yes , its OK with HMRC, which accepts Form 17 for notifying a change of beneficial interest.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-income-17

If you are on say, 40% tax band and wife is on say, 20% tax band, then your CGT may be charged at 28% and wife at 18%. So you have to decide what is the best ratio if 50: 50 does not give lowest tax bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                    Yes , its OK with HMRC, which accepts Form 17 for notifying a change of beneficial interest.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-income-17

If you are on say, 40% tax band and wife is on say, 20% tax band, then your CGT may be charged at 28% and wife at 18%. So you have to decide what is the best ratio if 50: 50 does not give lowest tax bill.
                    As you say my wife is a lower tax band albeit the gain is pretty reasonable so some will be at 18% for her and the remainder will take her into the higher rate and will be taxed at at 28%.

I am just under the higher tax band so again a small amount will be at 18% and the remained at 28% - there is a small benefit to be realised here if I change the % of ownership ie the difference between my income and the amount that takes me into the higher band.- in addition I would also be able to use my personal allowance so for the sake of a new DoT and the form 17 it would be far more tax efficient way to dispose of my property.

My main concern was whether having had a 99/1 split for several years the HMRC would have an issue with me changing it to 50/50 a few weeks / months before disposal?

Comment

The procedure for using Form 17 only applies to notifying changes of beneficial interest between husband and wife. This procedure is allowed because it is posted on the gov.uk website.

Your choice is stay at 99/1 or make the change to 50 50.

After posting the form 17, you can allow 4 weeks and call the Tax Office hotline to check if the new Form 17 details is on your tax file.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Damaged artwork expense
                        by jtufty
                        Hi all

Silly minor question really. Last week the tenant accidentally knocked a framed picture off the wall and smashed it. It was only a cheap thing (I guess value was £10). I went out and bought a replacement picture for her. (I know I didnt have to, but shes a good tenant). I bought...
                        24-09-2021, 10:35 AM
                      • Reply to Damaged artwork expense
                        by ram

As per above, as the place is "part-furnished", which will not incude pictures on walls.

It's a gift to a stranger. ( They are not family, not close friends - etc. ) and not a claimable expence in any way..
                        25-09-2021, 16:05 PM
                        by nukecad
                        I'd see this as an altruistic gift to your tenant and leave it at that.

My previous LL (although he had his faults) used to buy the 3 of us in his small HMO a £20 case of beer each at Christmas, I doubt he tried to claim it off tax.
                        25-09-2021, 15:46 PM
                        by jtufty
                        Its let "part-furnished". (she didnt have a bed, so I put a bed in there, and the white goods, and the [now-broken] picture and a few other bits n bobs)...
                        25-09-2021, 15:13 PM
                        by Section20z
                        You don't need to write anything. Retain the receipt and just include the appropriate amount in youR expenses/capital totals...
                        25-09-2021, 13:57 PM
                        by ram

We assume the place is let as furnished ?

I don't think pictures are classed as furniture / but then again, a mirror screwed to the wall - if broken by the tenant, then the tenant pays.
                        So pictures ? not sure.
                        I would charge the tenant the cost of replacement.
                        25-09-2021, 11:43 AM
                        by jtufty
                        Thanks guys. I dont know what came over me! A momentary wave of altruism. Most unlike me!

I have the receipt. What should I log it as? Should I literally just write "capital expense" or should I be more specific such as "replacement of broken picture"?
                        25-09-2021, 06:45 AM
                        by jpkeates
                        It's a replacement item of furniture and its allowable as such.
                        There's an inevitable element of betterment when you replace one thing with another.

And £40 is neither here nor there as a capital item.
                        24-09-2021, 13:16 PM
                        by Section20z
                        That sounds definitely like an improvement as you didn't have to splash out £50 you crazy dude.
                        £10 down to repairs and £40 capital expense I reckon.
                        24-09-2021, 11:59 AM
                      • Reply to Let Property Campaign.
                        by armour
                        No Neelix, I don't approve of tax evasion.

As it happens, I am the friend who has convinced the lady that it was best all round if she made a clean breast of it and fessed up as soon as possible via the Let Property Campaign and am using such talants as I posess to help her to do so....
                        23-09-2021, 07:46 AM
                      Working...
                      X