Deed of assignment or Deed of Trust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of assignment or Deed of Trust

I want to submit Form 17 to tell inland revenue to assign all the income of our jointly owned property (tenancy in common) to me as I am currently without an income whereas my husband pays 40% tax. {Name Removed} conveyancing have recommended a Deed of Assignment (for £240) to show I am the sole beneficiary. I can't find much about this online, my original thought was that I'd need a Deed of Trust. Does anyone know if a Deed of Assignment would work in this instance (I cannot find much online about it being used for this purpose)? And whether {Name Removed} Conveyancing are reputable? If both are fine it makes things very straight forward to resolve. Thank you, any feedback much appreciated.

A deed of trust sets up a trust. Statute provides that if a property is jointly owned there is always a trust. The solicitor is therefore right that a deed of trust is not required and the way to proceed is with a deed of assignment. Whether the solicitor is otherwise reliable I cannot say, but on this particular point he is spot on.

Comment

This forum does not allow firms to be named. but you can get user comments by internet search for "law firm + form 17 comments ".

You jointly own the property with husband 50:50 , registered tenants in common and now want to use a D of A to change the interest to 100 :1

If the firm is a member of the Law Society , it should be lawful to pay £240 for the D of A . You can book the cost as "legal consultation expense" against your rental income.

Comment

Thank you Lawcruncher - really appreciate that! So it's okay that the property is not owned in unequal share, it's held as tenants in common, I wouldn't need to prove for example that I'd paid 100% of the deposit so deserved 100% of the rent? I'm aware that we'd want to change the share again when we sell (for capital gains purposes) - would that be straight forward or I'd need to have a reason that my husband was now 50% beneficiary. If I can such keep doing D of A to adjust as I need for tax purposes...that seems to good to be true... but I'll certainly take it

Gordon999 I'll do that search now, thanks for the tip, and great to offset against rental income

Comment

Originally posted by Bumblebee123 View Post
          So it's okay that the property is not owned in unequal share, it's held as tenants in common, I wouldn't need to prove for example that I'd paid 100% of the deposit so deserved 100% of the rent? I'm aware that we'd want to change the share again when we sell (for capital gains purposes) - would that be straight forward or I'd need to have a reason that my husband was now 50% beneficiary. If I can such keep doing D of A to adjust as I need for tax purposes...that seems to good to be true... but I'll certainly take it.
          What is important is what the purchase transfer said. If it said you held as tenants in common in equal shares then that is it for tax purposes. From a conveyancing point of view you can change the percentages as often as you like. Whether the taxman will raise an eyebrow I leave others to comment.

Going back a few years now I used to do for clients an assignment of the income only for a fixed period. However, I read that the taxman does not accept that now. Whether that is the case, I again leave to others to comment. If it is not, it sounds like that could be what you want.

Comment

This is a hmrc forum for using DOT + form 17 to change the beneficial interest from 50:50 to 99 :1

To change back to 50% : 50% , you need to submit a new DOT + Form 17.

https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/forums...4-00155d3bd04f

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice
              by SouthernDave
              I started my limited company a year before buying the first property, then bought a second 2 months later, a third 3 months after that, a fourth 5 months after that and so on to where I am now. Our lenders have never said they want a separate company per property. Ive never heard of that, if it were...
              23-01-2022, 17:40 PM
            • Advice
              by jhoggard
              Hi,

I currently have a property rented out in my own name with a fair bit of equity around 50% LTV this is actually a repayment mortgage which i'm looking to switchover to a interest only. When i do this i'm also taking money out of the property to put towards another which i'm looking...
              20-01-2022, 14:25 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by jpkeates
              I don't think we disagree.

The OP has one property and is looking to buy a second.
              At that point in that business, lenders will want a company per property.

There's a point where that ceases to be the case, when the portfolio gets big enough, or, presumably when someone...
              23-01-2022, 17:34 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by SouthernDave
              i concur with this, once you get over 4 properties, they consider you to be a portfolio landlord and want to start seeing cashflow forecasts before lending to make sure the company is buoyant. Directors guarantees each time but no limits on number of properties or number of dofferent lenders....
              23-01-2022, 16:50 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by JamesHopeful
              This is not true in my experience. I currently have eight properties in the same company, across a number of different mainstream BTL lenders, and none of them have batted an eyelid at the number.

Where I have known lenders worry about the company is it doesn't have the correct SIC code...
              23-01-2022, 16:28 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by theartfullodger
              Depends to a great degree on tax regulations over the coming years. We only know what the rules are today, not what they'll be in future e.g. when you retire

I expect chancellors to cut back on the advantages of people owning property through companies (well, wouldn't you if you were chancellor)...
              22-01-2022, 13:06 PM
            • Reply to Advice
              by Gordon999
              1. No. You have not sold the property yet

2. 19% on profit by company.

3. Seek advice from accountant.
              22-01-2022, 09:36 AM
            • haring inherited property
              by halfax
              i am inheriting a property and would like to place half in my grandsons name.
              as anyone done similar?...
              19-01-2022, 18:12 PM
            • Reply to haring inherited property
              by halfax
              thanks for help to everyone who replied, great forum
              21-01-2022, 18:55 PM
            • Reply to Looking for tax / financial advice for a BTL /holiday let long-held portfolio
              by ifallelsefails
              I watched a webinar from Landlord studio and this man Tony Gimple was featured in it. Have a look at his Linkedin profile:
              https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonygimp...alSubdomain=uk
              He has a website whereby he consults exactly to your situation:
              https://www.bel.gb.net/
              21-01-2022, 17:13 PM
            Working...
            X