IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance

So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
    The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal iht on one’s death because the iht is only due on the minimal amount of equity left in the portfolio.
    It seems this is a popular strategy.

I just see this as 3 levels of aggressive tax avoidance. And whilst it may be legal it could easily be picked up by HMRC and retrospectively taxed, on all 3 accounts. Google “The Loan Charge Scandal’ for evidence of retrospective taxation on loans, where those using a legal tax loophole have subsequently been clobbered.

Are many people following this strategy? I must say I am gobsmacked to see this methodology being sold far and wide. Perhaps I am just being stupid?

Income Tax is charged on job/salary income , at 20% rate below £50K and 40% above £50K.

Spending of job income ( after tax paid at 20% or 40% ) on consumer services may include VAT charged at 20%.

The CGT rates for capital gain is 18% rate on ( Job + CG ) income below £50K or 28% rate above £50K. But CGT is only payable after the sale of asset.

If the property owner never sells, then the property inside the deceased person's estate over £325K is liable for iht charged at 40% rate. The family home below £350K if left to own children or grand children can escape the 40% tax.

LZforum members are NOT conducting aggressive tax avoidance .

Aggressive Tax Avoidance is done by online trading companies registered in low tax countries such as in Ireland, which has tax rate 12% .

Comment

I think the point being made is that landlords refinance to use the equity without selling and thus avoid CGT but it's perfectly legal and not necessarily depriving the state coffers as they might not otherwise sell .
      Its long been touted as a good way for building a portfolio and frequently promoted by members of this forum and definitely not illegal

Comment

Originally posted by clairol View Post
        pay minimal iht on one’s death because the iht is only due on the minimal amount of equity left in the portfolio.
        It seems this is a popular strategy.

Are many people following this strategy? I must say I am gobsmacked to see this methodology being sold far and wide. Perhaps I am just being stupid?
        It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio worth £1m, you'd pay £400,000 IHT on it, and, might leave £600,000 to whoever is going to inherit.
        If you die with a portfolio worth £1m, with £750,000 or mortgage, you'd only pay £100,000 in IHT but people would inherit £150,000.

It might be branded "tax efficient", but what it really means is that you spend the money during your lifetime rather than leave it to anyone else.
        Which might be a perfectly sensible thing to do, but it's nothing to do with tax.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.
          Which might be a perfectly sensible thing to do, but it's nothing to do with tax.
          Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses .

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
            Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses .
            But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us" and "other taxpayers".
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Expenses off-set against income tax
              by xenoid
              Hi All, I have a question that might have been asked but could find it here.. I am an overseas landlord with only one buy-to let property in the UK. My monthly expenses are more than the rental income so on an annual basis I make a loss. I understand that these expenses can be claimed against tax and...
              27-07-2021, 12:54 PM
            • Reply to Expenses off-set against income tax
              by xenoid
              monthly rent 1250 ... buy-to let mortgage 873.12 - certificates (elec, gas, PAT, Fire and risk, EPC), maintenance and repairs, council landlord licence costs, service charges, landlord insurance.... all of these quickly erode the rental income.. mortgage is high since is an overseas Buy to let mortgage......
              29-07-2021, 08:24 AM
            • SPV and Leases
              by Thurrock1
              My husband is one of three directors of a limited property development company that has converted a house to 3 flats. The flats are currently rented. Please can someone tell me if, in order to get leases on the flats, we have to at the same time put them into an SPV. To put them into an SPV will...
              28-07-2021, 20:38 PM
            • Reply to SPV and Leases
              by jpkeates
              There isn't really a black and white answer to the question, which I think if because there's a shed load of information missing.

If your husband is retiring from being a director of a company, there's no need for anything else to happen - so I suspect that he wants to exit an existing...
              29-07-2021, 08:18 AM
              by jpkeates
              I can easily imagine that a couple of costly repairs might knock a property into a short term loss, but a rental property let out at a rent that doesn't cover the basic costs of operating it long term sounds very odd indeed.

How on earth can that happen?...
              29-07-2021, 08:13 AM
              by Neelix
              How many years have you been running at a loss?
              29-07-2021, 07:16 AM
              by AndrewDod
              Sounds like a great investment. HMRC will definitely be exploring those expenses in due course....
              28-07-2021, 20:45 PM
              by theartfullodger
              Why run a business at a loss ?
              28-07-2021, 16:34 PM
              by xenoid
              thank you for answer the first two parts of my question. There was no need to buy a book on tax after all.

as for your response below.. no, i submit tax on an annual basis. rent is paid in UK bank account. All expenses are listed in tax submission. all legal and above water. ...
              28-07-2021, 15:50 PM
              by jpkeates
              When the business ends you can carry on carrying the losses forward, but, unless you start a new business taxed in the same manner, they're of no use to you.
              You can't use them to offset CGT>

Essentially, not from tax.
              So, you'd need to make the business profitable in order...
              28-07-2021, 12:08 PM
            Working...
            X