Expenses Allowed against Capital Gains Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses Allowed against Capital Gains Tax

Our son is selling his home after moving abroad. It was purchased in June 2015, lived in until April 2017 and then rented until March 2021. We are quite happy with the basic CGT calculation but have not been able to find definitive information on all the expenses that can be included. Can anyone direct us to a complete list? Or give any advice?
    Specifically we are thinking about:
    Mortgage arrangement fee when the house was purchased
    Remortgage fees - the house was let by then
    Early redemption fee. This is due in June 2021 and there will be no income in this tax year
    Council Tax & Utilities whilst empty and for sale. For this tax year only (last tax year will be expenses against income)

Finally, does he need to notify HMRC that he is non-resident or is his absence for 3 complete tax years enough?
    Interestingly, our trial runs on the HMRC CGT calculator seem to give the same result if resident or not so we don't really understand the point of this.
    Thanks!

Originally posted by AJM2 View Post
    Our son is selling his home after moving abroad. It was purchased in June 2015, lived in until April 2017 and then rented until March 2021. We are quite happy with the basic CGT calculation but have not been able to find definitive information on all the expenses that can be included. Can anyone direct us to a complete list? Or give any advice?
    The HMRC tax manuals are online.
    You need to be qualified to give "advice", which I am not.

Specifically we are thinking about:
    Mortgage arrangement fee when the house was purchased
    Remortgage fees - the house was let by then
    Early redemption fee. This is due in June 2021 and there will be no income in this tax year
    Council Tax & Utilities whilst empty and for sale. For this tax year only (last tax year will be expenses against income)
    All of these are operational costs that can be offset against income and are not capital costs that can be offset against CGT,

Finally, does he need to notify HMRC that he is non-resident or is his absence for 3 complete tax years enough?
    If he is non-resident for tax purposes, that needs to be a formal agreement with HMRC if he continues to receive income from the UK.
    Unless HMRC agree otherwise, anyone sending rent to a non-resident landlord needs to deduct tax at the basic rate and complete a twice a year return confirming that.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The introduction of capital gains tax for non-residents commenced in April 2015 and the "acquisition cost" would be based on the market value in April 2015.
      If your son. whilst still resident,bought the property in Jun 2015 , the acquisition cost for calculating capital gain would be the same for both resident and non-resident buyer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
        by Gep
        Hi all,
        I'm thinking about selling my flat and trying to workout how much capital gain tax I would have to pay.
        ​​Accordingly to the HMRC website the rate is 28% if you let the property out, but I'm currently living there so I'm not sure.

I've owned the property for 10 years:...
        18-06-2021, 17:32 PM
      • First time investor to a BTL planning for long future and father retirement
        by Nick constable
        Hello I’m starting to have to plan my fathers retirement and we have a good amount of deposit to invest in a property to rent and I’m trying to find the best way to set this up whether it be as a limited company or as Individual I am thinking more towards limited company because when my father comes...
        18-06-2021, 10:09 AM
      • Reply to First time investor to a BTL planning for long future and father retirement
        by jpkeates
        The first question you should ask yourself is why have I chosen this investment over other forms of investment, including those that would be tax free or designed for pensions?

And if you don't have an answer, you've not really made a decision.
        18-06-2021, 12:56 PM
      • inherited house - best to sell or rent
        by Wobble1
        Hi all,

My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
        17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
      • Reply to inherited house - best to sell or rent
        by 1600e
        Quite right.
        I was rushing to post as the footy was starting lol!...
        18-06-2021, 09:46 AM
        by royw
        As there is no mortgage you can make a useful income from it but it certainly isn't hassle free. If you do it yourself it's vital you know what you're doing so you need some landlord training. You are never off duty. If you use an agent you need to make sure they know what they're doing. Anyone can...
        18-06-2021, 07:48 AM
        by ram
        At the cost of being chastised. ( and not directing my comments to 1600e, but a general statement. )

Landlords "Let"
        And tenants "Rent"./ rent it.
        17-06-2021, 22:25 PM
        by 1600e
        Before you think of renting it, get an EPC (energy performance certificate) and an eicr (electrical installation condition report) carried out and gsc (gas safety certificate). If it's a modernish house you should be ok as regards the EPC but if not bear in mind the government is aiming to get all private...
        17-06-2021, 22:03 PM
        by ram
        ADVICE -- serious advice.
        Sell the house

You did not wake up one day and decide you will be a landlord and want to deal with people that dont pay rent and costs you a fortune to get them out. Nor waking up and sayng I realy want to go through that mine field of rules and regulations
        17-06-2021, 21:41 PM
      • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
        by Sara2
        Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
        13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
      Working...
      X