Transfer to Wife & CGT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer to Wife & CGT

Is it possible to transfer ownership of a property to my wife to avoid a large capital gains tax liability (approx £18K) if I was to sell?

The property is currently rented out but we intend to move back in. We are currently living in the North West and need to relocate back to the South East where the property is so we will be making it our main and only property. The property is currently mortgaged with a BTL mortgage (£90K).

My intention is to gift the property, currently valued at £250K to my wife and for her to mortgage it with a residential mortgage for circa £90K to replace the existing BTL mortgage.

Once I have gifted the property to her it will be her only property and we will both live there. We wouldn’t rent the property again, although may sell it a few years time to down size.

I have worked through the CGT calculator on Gov.Uk for Gifting the property to my wife and it comes back with a Nil liability. I have also worked through various scenario’s should my wife sell at a later date and again this comes back with a Nil liability.

Does it sound right that there is no CGT liability on either transaction?

I am aware that I would have no legal right over the property and there could be Stamp Duty Land Tax to pay, but is anything else I would need to consider?

I am slightly unsure why your wife wouldn't have the same gain that you would have for CGT purposes. There's no CGT due now because her ownership is essentially backdated to the original purchase.

If you lived there previously and your wife didn't (or didn't live there as long) you may actually lose some residential relief.

You might want to consider joint ownership as an option, because then there are two lots of CGT allowance (at least currently).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

The property is solely owned by me and my wife never lived there previously, does this make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Ansell View Post
        The property is solely owned by me and my wife never lived there previously, does this make a difference?
        Only if you lived there previously, as you would have a tax relief that isn't available for your wife if you transfer ownership to her.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is no capital gains tax on property transfers between husband and wife.

As jpk suggests, you can add wife's name and become "joint owners" .

The "consideration for stamp duty" as taken as 50% of the outstanding mortgage (£45k) , which means no sdlt.to pay..

Comment

And to reiterate -- when your wife sells the purchase price (and any details of allowable costs) will be backdated to your details. So no saving at all is likely.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
              by Gep
              Hi all,
              I'm thinking about selling my flat and trying to workout how much capital gain tax I would have to pay.
              ​​Accordingly to the HMRC website the rate is 28% if you let the property out, but I'm currently living there so I'm not sure.

I've owned the property for 10 years:...
              18-06-2021, 17:32 PM
            • First time investor to a BTL planning for long future and father retirement
              by Nick constable
              Hello I’m starting to have to plan my fathers retirement and we have a good amount of deposit to invest in a property to rent and I’m trying to find the best way to set this up whether it be as a limited company or as Individual I am thinking more towards limited company because when my father comes...
              18-06-2021, 10:09 AM
            • Reply to First time investor to a BTL planning for long future and father retirement
              by jpkeates
              The first question you should ask yourself is why have I chosen this investment over other forms of investment, including those that would be tax free or designed for pensions?

And if you don't have an answer, you've not really made a decision.
              18-06-2021, 12:56 PM
            • inherited house - best to sell or rent
              by Wobble1
              Hi all,

My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
              17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
            • Reply to inherited house - best to sell or rent
              by 1600e
              Quite right.
              I was rushing to post as the footy was starting lol!...
              18-06-2021, 09:46 AM
              by royw
              As there is no mortgage you can make a useful income from it but it certainly isn't hassle free. If you do it yourself it's vital you know what you're doing so you need some landlord training. You are never off duty. If you use an agent you need to make sure they know what they're doing. Anyone can...
              18-06-2021, 07:48 AM
              by ram
              At the cost of being chastised. ( and not directing my comments to 1600e, but a general statement. )

Landlords "Let"
              And tenants "Rent"./ rent it.
              17-06-2021, 22:25 PM
              by 1600e
              Before you think of renting it, get an EPC (energy performance certificate) and an eicr (electrical installation condition report) carried out and gsc (gas safety certificate). If it's a modernish house you should be ok as regards the EPC but if not bear in mind the government is aiming to get all private...
              17-06-2021, 22:03 PM
              by ram
              ADVICE -- serious advice.
              Sell the house

You did not wake up one day and decide you will be a landlord and want to deal with people that dont pay rent and costs you a fortune to get them out. Nor waking up and sayng I realy want to go through that mine field of rules and regulations
              17-06-2021, 21:41 PM
            • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
              by Sara2
              I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
              17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
            Working...
            X