MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?

Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot see how that would work anyway as they'd need to know the LLs other income too.

MTD has been operating for a little while now - I was enrolled in a previous business - and it was pretty straight-forward IF you were already used to that accounting/reporting environment - your average accidental LL won't be prepared for this.

Hopefully, we might see a surge of young newly qualified accountants start out on their own and focussing on this area - a nice income stream for them and hopefully controlling any excessive charges being levied by more experienced firms seeing an open-cheque opportunity.

MTD isn't going to be difficult for the organised person

Comment

It should sort out the men from the boys, and I tell people being a landlord is a business and as such make a profit, its about being professional and organised

Comment

It won't only be small time landlords that suffer, many one man businesses will too, particularly those who still use paper and will have to pay an accountant 5 times a year instead of once. The article I saw said it was only for LLs with no other income. Is that correct?

Comment

Its landlords with a turnover of more than £10,000 a year. So any property rented for £830 a month. Basically nearly all landlords!!. Starts April 2023. Just got to do 4 times a year instead just one time in jan. once you get a system going it should not be too bad.

Comment

The simple way : You take last year's - 12 months rental income , expenses and profit and divide by 4 and submit the 25% figures each quarterly return and submit the real 12 months figures in the 4th Quarter Tax Return.

Comment

I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
                I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare
                The answer is in the name - Making Tax Digital.

No more paper submissions

Comment

I agree it's in the name but many people particularly those who are old school like my parents, why should they change? My dad's been doing it by pen and paper for 40years,

Comment

Originally posted by jase222 View Post
                    I agree it's in the name but many people particularly those who are old school like my parents, why should they change? My dad's been doing it by pen and paper for 40years,
                    Looks like you will be doing it for them then.

MTD is a step forward imho, if not a bit of hassle to adapt to

Comment

What he will be doing is selling a couple and increasing rent on others to pay the increased cost of his accountant, and I suspect many will be doing the same, ultimately the tenant will lose.

Comment

40 - 50% of landlords don't declare their income at all - according to HMRC.
                        So this initiative isn't going to have that much effect on a lot of accidental landlords.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

HaHa but you're forgetting the new Let Property Campaign which encourages landlords who might have forgot to pay their taxes to er pay them.

So the 40-50% of non-payers will all be up to date by the summer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax implications of remortgaging home for a deposit on a BTL
                            by Jerry777
                            Hi

I would be grateful if anyone could help with this query.

I am remortgaging my home to raise a deposit for a BTL property, and I wondered when I submit my SA tax return, if I would be entitled to a tax credit for the interest on the residential mortgage in the same way as...
                            20-06-2021, 18:58 PM
                          • Reply to Tax implications of remortgaging home for a deposit on a BTL
                            by Gordon999
                            You should keep some documentary evidence to show the mortgage loan money raised on house was applied towards purchase of the BTL property.
                            23-06-2021, 05:05 AM
                          • Reply to Tax implications of remortgaging home for a deposit on a BTL
                            by jpkeates
                            Yes, provided the loan is for the purposes of the business, it's a business expense.
                            22-06-2021, 08:53 AM
                          • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                            by Gordon999
                            I suggest you send a letter by recorder delivery :

Tax Ref: xxxxx xxxxx

Dear Tax Inspector,

I am the owner of a btl property at 88 Garden terrace , Toy Town .

I wish to inform you that my rental tenant stopped paying rent in Sept 2019 .
                            20-06-2021, 14:18 PM
                          • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
                            by Sara2
                            Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
                            13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
                          • Reply to Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
                            by Gordon999
                            The first period used as main residence is 3 years plus 9 months after moving away. The second period as main residence is 2 years.

So out of 10 years ownership , the total capital gain is apportioned 5 years plus 9 months as "main residence and 4 years and 3 months under rental...
                            20-06-2021, 14:05 PM
                          • Capital Gain Tax on main home, but let in the past
                            by Gep
                            Hi all,
                            I'm thinking about selling my flat and trying to workout how much capital gain tax I would have to pay.
                            ​​Accordingly to the HMRC website the rate is 28% if you let the property out, but I'm currently living there so I'm not sure.

I've owned the property for 10 years:...
                            18-06-2021, 17:32 PM
                          • inherited house - best to sell or rent
                            by Wobble1
                            Hi all,

My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
                            17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
                          • Reply to inherited house - best to sell or rent
                            by Gordon999
                            If you want to keep both houses and rent out one house, you should visit 3 local estate agents and make enquiries with lettings manager :
                            to check out the following info :

1. What is the rental demand for property in your district or street area ? flats or houses ? furnished...
                            20-06-2021, 13:57 PM
                          • Reply to inherited house - best to sell or rent
                            by Gordon999
                            1. If you decide to sell father 's house now, the capital gain will come mainly from your own half share .

If the capital gain on your half share is around £50K , the cgt tax may be around £50K less £12K allowance = £38K at 18% = £7K .

The capital gain on the half...
                            20-06-2021, 13:32 PM
                          Working...
                          X