Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a property from my Father

Hi guys,

My dad is selling his buy to let property and it just so happens that I am also looking to expand my portfolio so we have agreed a price at the current market value.

Could anyone please advise if there is a more tax efficient way to do the transaction rather than just the usual method that may incur SDLT for me and CGT for him?

I’ve read about gifts or inheritance but not sure if this would be applicable?

The agreed price is £90k and I would be looking to purchase in my limited company.

My dad currently owns the the property in his personal name and has a £40,000 mortgage on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dad ( seller ) is liable for CGT after sale of the property?. What is the approx capital gain ? Does he pay 18% or 28% ?

Ltd Company ( Buyer ) pays 3% sdlt on the sale price.

Does Dad want to gift away £50K of his money to your company ? I think it is not sensible to give away money to a company.

Comment

Whatever value is agreed between you, the transaction is treated for tax purposes as happening at market values.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Gordon999,

Dad bought the property for £63k and is selling for £90k.
        He only works part time as he is semi retired so I would expect 18%?

can I ask how it would work with him gifting 50k to my company?

thank you for your assistance

Comment

1. Your Dad's capital gain is £90K ( sale proceeds) - £63K ( original cost ) = £27K .

The capital gains tax = £27K - £12.5K ( Personal allowance ) = £14.5K at 18% = £2610

This cgt applies for disposal by sale or by gifting .

2. For disposal by gifting, the sdlt is charged on the " sale consideration" which is the "outstanding mortgage loan".

If the consideration is below £40K , sdlt is not charged for purchase by persons but this may not apply to purchase by a company

Comment

The gov.uk website :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-du...-property#comp

shows this :
            Companies

Companies must pay the higher rates for any residential property they buy if the:
            • property is £40,000 or more
            • interest they buy is not subject to a lease which has more than 21 years left

If the property costs more than £500,000, the 15% higher threshold SDLT rate for corporate bodies may apply instead.

Comment

thanks Gordon.

So if my father made an overpayment of £1 on his mortgage then there wouldn’t be a SDLT charge if I went down the disposal by gifting route?

thanks again

Comment

Its something to clarify with a conveyancing solicitor before you decide to proceed . I am not qualified to give tax advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
                  by Thurrock1
                  Thank you for your replies. It's hard to get yr head around!! but i think ive got it.

I am hoping to take some of this deposit back now as monthly repayments (as the flat was bought in 2008 and i need some of the money now). So I think I am ok doing this, so long as, on the sale of the...
                  18-04-2021, 11:49 AM
                • Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
                  by Thurrock1
                  Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
                  18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  The SA Tax return is for reporting rental income and rental expenses. The £25K deposit is not reported in the SATR .

The £25K deposit is treated like a second mortgage loan at Nil interest . So if the property costs £100K , the 1st mortgage lender provides £75K loan and you provide...
                  18-04-2021, 11:01 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  How is the money being "taken back"?
                  18-04-2021, 09:21 AM
                • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
                  by jase222
                  I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare...
                  18-04-2021, 05:56 AM
                • MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
                  by landlord-man
                  Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
                  17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  The simple way : You take last year's - 12 months rental income , expenses and profit and divide by 4 and submit the 25% figures each quarterly return and submit the real 12 months figures in the 4th Quarter Tax Return.
                  18-04-2021, 03:20 AM
                • Reply to Limited Company and BBL
                  by Gordon999
                  I would expect your own tax bill at 10% rate on £4600 taxable capital gain after disposal of commercial property held under personal name, may be around £460 .
                  18-04-2021, 03:09 AM
                • Limited Company and BBL
                  by Cameron9988
                  Could do with some advice.
                  So I have a Ltd company with a semi commercial proeprty in it as follows :
                  • Value £155k
                  • No mortgage
                  • Bank Natwest
                  • Have a £50 Bounce Back Loan ( BBL ) in the business account un-used
                  • The BBL was loaned to the Ltd
                  I now want to transfer another semi commercial...
                  17-04-2021, 08:33 AM
                  by davidmartin_uk
                  Its landlords with a turnover of more than £10,000 a year. So any property rented for £830 a month. Basically nearly all landlords!!. Starts April 2023. Just got to do 4 times a year instead just one time in jan. once you get a system going it should not be too bad....
                  17-04-2021, 21:35 PM
                Working...
                X