Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications

Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker and have decided to pay the ERC on the rental and switch it to a BTL on an interest only deal. By doing so I’ll be able to take some equity out to put towards my new house purchase.

My question to all those with experience is by switching from a capital repayment mortgage to an interest only will I incur a higher tax bill when submitting my self assessment? I’m pretty sure I won’t because all I submit to HMRC is the total rent received and total interest figure along with relevant expenses?

Also should I take out equity from my rental would that be subject to CG Tax?

Thanks all

If there is no sale of the property , there is no capital gain and no liability to CGT .

Comment

Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur a larger tax bill ? I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t because my rental charge to my tenant will remain the same and that along with interest are the only main figures (besides expenses etc) that they are concerned with.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dotcotton999 View Post
        Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.
        When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
        On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can be claimed. So if the property was worth (say) £300k with £200k mortgaged when it was first let, and it's now worth (say) £600k with £400k mortgaged, you can only claim the interest on £300k of the loan.

How the hell anyone could possibly find out is a different matter.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent' s selling charges say £3 K.

So sale proceeds = £200K - £3K ( estate agent ) - £1K ( Conveyancing ) = £196K .
          and acquisition cost = £130K + £1K ( conveyancing ) = £131K.

So real capital gain = £196K - £131K = £65K .

The "mortgage repayment" or "loan interest" or "equity removal" are not allowable expenses for calculating the capital gain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
            by Thurrock1
            Thank you for your replies. It's hard to get yr head around!! but i think ive got it.

I am hoping to take some of this deposit back now as monthly repayments (as the flat was bought in 2008 and i need some of the money now). So I think I am ok doing this, so long as, on the sale of the...
            18-04-2021, 11:49 AM
          • Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
            by Thurrock1
            Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
            18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
            by Gordon999
            The SA Tax return is for reporting rental income and rental expenses. The £25K deposit is not reported in the SATR .

The £25K deposit is treated like a second mortgage loan at Nil interest . So if the property costs £100K , the 1st mortgage lender provides £75K loan and you provide...
            18-04-2021, 11:01 AM
            by jpkeates
            How is the money being "taken back"?
            18-04-2021, 09:21 AM
          • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
            by jase222
            I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare...
            18-04-2021, 05:56 AM
          • MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
            by landlord-man
            Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
            17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
            by Gordon999
            The simple way : You take last year's - 12 months rental income , expenses and profit and divide by 4 and submit the 25% figures each quarterly return and submit the real 12 months figures in the 4th Quarter Tax Return.
            18-04-2021, 03:20 AM
          • Reply to Limited Company and BBL
            by Gordon999
            I would expect your own tax bill at 10% rate on £4600 taxable capital gain after disposal of commercial property held under personal name, may be around £460 .
            18-04-2021, 03:09 AM
          • Limited Company and BBL
            by Cameron9988
            Could do with some advice.
            So I have a Ltd company with a semi commercial proeprty in it as follows :
            • Value £155k
            • No mortgage
            • Bank Natwest
            • Have a £50 Bounce Back Loan ( BBL ) in the business account un-used
            • The BBL was loaned to the Ltd
            I now want to transfer another semi commercial...
            17-04-2021, 08:33 AM
            by davidmartin_uk
            Its landlords with a turnover of more than £10,000 a year. So any property rented for £830 a month. Basically nearly all landlords!!. Starts April 2023. Just got to do 4 times a year instead just one time in jan. once you get a system going it should not be too bad....
            17-04-2021, 21:35 PM
          Working...
          X