Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time BTL advice

Hi all,

Anyone noticing how surveyors seem incredibly cautious at this moment despite a high demand market! Had quite a few de-valuations and basically was wondering the below as now need to increase deposit to a further 19k.

Own a main home in my name. which most likely will want to sell in around 3 years after 5 years current mortgage needs to be reviewed. It will have 13 years left remaining to pay off by that point, and hopefully the market remains stable at least. I don't get attached to properties.

I am in the process of investing in my 1st BTL, and will have to pay stamp duty...if I sell my main home in 3 years fine can claim that back but say the market remains futile, is there recommendation I add my boyfriend on the deeds of my BTL (he doesn't own any homes). On top of this, I don't want to put the BTL property with an agency because I have experience of managing family rental homes, can I hire myself at a fair hourly rate to basically take care of my tenants and home? So I will do the cleaning, fixing small fixtures when required, and use a family builder to conduct serious repairs. Assuming I will need to open a VAT number to be able to hire myself. I don't see a problem with this but can see how some others would of exploited things.

Thank you for your advise, since a teenager I have been so interested in the landlord life and I hope by 30 I can take up a few more porfolio's, at first wanting mainly being interested in introducing people to their 'potential future homes' and seeing others content and not worrying about landlords who are all about just for the cash. However, right now paying high legal fees via stamp duty and then when it comes to selling on...obviously are a thought.

You really should consult an accountant and as for paying "yourself" - that isn't probably a good idea

When working out your numbers - how many empty weeks per year have you allowed for?

Comment

It won't make any difference to the SDLT position if your boyfriend is on the deeds or not.
      As long as you are involved and own a property already it triggers the higher rate.

As a landlord, you can't pay yourself for the work that you do and reduce your tax paid as a consequence.
      You're being paid for the work in the form of rent.

You don't want to register for VAT as a landlord if you can help it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

1. Your rental profit ( which is the " 12 months rental income" minus "allowable expenses" ) is your income . So the tax office does not allow you to pay yourself from your own income.

2. Businesses with annual turnover exceeding £85K have to register for VAT and charge 20% tax on supply to customers. Your BTL property is residential property and not required to register for VAT. So don't put yourself into VAT registration because you will have difficulty finding a rental tenant.

3. I hope you realise that there is no cgt to pay on capital gains from your own residence . But capital gains from BTL property is taxed at 18% or 28%.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          1. Your rental profit ( which is the " 12 months rental income" minus "allowable expenses" ) is your income . So the tax office does not allow you to pay yourself from your own income.

2. Businesses with annual turnover exceeding £85K have to register for VAT and charge 20% tax on supply to customers. Your BTL property is residential property and not required to register for VAT. So don't put yourself into VAT registration because you will have difficulty finding a rental tenant.

3. I hope you realise that there is no cgt to pay on capital gains from your own residence . But capital gains from BTL property is taxed at 18% or 28%.

Thanks all for your feedback, yes so the goal was with this BTL to have my name and my partners name and in the long run at some point if there's a chance he isn't interested in buying a home himself to just remove my name and have his name only on the property and for a few days month use it and sell at the 18% rate.

I guess I can look at a family member or training my partner on how to assist overlook the property as I am experienced enough and will care more to do checks the way I want to rather than hire an agency.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
            by Sara2
            I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
            17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
          • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
            by Sara2
            Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
            13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
            by Gordon999
            If you do not inform the Tax Office and just move back to live in the BTL property, the "rental business with tax losses" , can remain in existence for three years.

https://www.property-tax-portal.co.u...business.shtml

But the property owner can notify the Tax Office...
            17-06-2021, 12:28 PM
          • IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
            by clairol
            So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
            The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal...
            16-06-2021, 16:40 PM
          • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
            by jpkeates
            But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us"...
            17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
            by Section20z
            Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses ....
            17-06-2021, 09:01 AM
            by jpkeates
            It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio...
            17-06-2021, 08:10 AM
            by jpkeates
            Surely the business continued (the rent was still owed, even if not paid) and the business continued until the disposal of the property (assuming it was the only property in the business).

Your interpretation is more appealing if it can be justified....
            17-06-2021, 07:54 AM
            by jpkeates
            Whoever gave you that advice doesn't understand how CGT works.
            You straight line the increase between purchase and disposal and you can deduct any time the property was your main residence (plus some additional months) as that period's gain is tax free.

Any valuation when you start...
            17-06-2021, 07:52 AM
            by Section20z
            I think the point being made is that landlords refinance to use the equity without selling and thus avoid CGT but it's perfectly legal and not necessarily depriving the state coffers as they might not otherwise sell .
            Its long been touted as a good way for building a portfolio and frequently promoted...
            17-06-2021, 07:47 AM
          Working...
          X