Reducing tax liability question.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Reducing tax liability question.

    I'll include all info incase it has a bearing!
    I purchased a house way back in 1989 for 28.5k deposit of 7k so 21.5k mortgage(call this house A) My girlfriend (now my wife since 1998)moved in with me. 5 yrs later I found a house for sale around 1995 for 49.5k but the market was slow at the time and I really wanted this new house(call it house B) so I sold house A to my girlfriend for 21.5k to clear my mortgage leaving me free to move quickly and purchase house B. She rented house A out and continued to live with me. The house next door to house B came up for sale at a decent price as it was a bit rough (ex rental with antisocial tenants in the main). By cashing in everything we had we could buy it...just.
    as we both already owned a property each, my wife house A and myself house B one of us would have been responsible for the ,newish at the time, 2nd property tax, forget it's proper name, at 2 or 3% iirc. I then made enquiries with a solicitor to check it was all legal, and it was, so my wife gifted house A to me so she could buy the house next door (call it house C) without paying this property tax. Everything went through ok and we've now been renting out house C for around 3 yrs or so.
    There are no mortgages on any of the 3 houses.
    We live quite simply and are happy to continue this way but paying less tax would be nice for sure.
    I am early retired late 50's and my only income is the rent from house A at around 7k a year.
    The wife has a part time job of around 9.5k plus the rental income from house C of around 6k.
    I pay no tax because I'm under the taxable limit by a fair margin , think it's 12.5k now?
    The wife has taken 1k of my allowance as is allowed so my tax free allowance is more like 11.5k.
    We are trying to save up for works needed to get the EPC C rating so are looking at ways to help us save more quickly.
    My question (finally!)
    Could my wife 'gift' a percentage of her rental house ownership to me ?, For simplicity, say 50%, would the taxman then accept a 50/50 rent split so I would still pay no tax and the wife would pay less tax?
    Maybe a higher percentage my way would mean we both pay no tax? Thinking aloud really...
    We haven't done or are willing to do anything illegal though.
    Thanks in advance guys/gals.

    Are you getting 7K from house A and what about house B ?


      Yes, 7k from house A.
      house B is our home that we live in with our 2 children.
      So, two rentals, A and C.


        Gifts between spouses are tax free and the only costs are the costs of conveyancing.

        You might want to consider gifting each other the properties, so that they are both in joint ownership.
        If you do that as tenants in common, you can use a simple deed of trust to set the percentages exactly as you wish, and you can then change them if your circumstances also change.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity


        • inherited house - best to sell or rent
          by Wobble1
          Hi all,

          My father sadly passed away in February, I already owned half of his house as tenants in common via my mothers will (passed several years before), although I didn't live there with him. Have my own house nearby. I am sole beneficiary of his will, and as well as everything else,...
          17-06-2021, 20:32 PM
        • Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
          by Sara2
          Mother died in 2007 left house to me and my 2 sibs it was family home and i lived in it until 1985 when i had my own house. My brother also lived in house at point mum died and he remained there until 2010 when not being able to sell the property i purchased whole of property by buying brother and...
          13-06-2021, 11:53 AM
        • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
          by Sara2
          I fail to see how i can notify hmrc that rental was terminated in 2019 whilt non paying tenant remained in the property until May 21
          17-06-2021, 19:29 PM
        • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
          by Gordon999
          If you do not inform the Tax Office and just move back to live in the BTL property, the "rental business with tax losses" , can remain in existence for three years.

          But the property owner can notify the Tax Office...
          17-06-2021, 12:28 PM
        • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
          by jpkeates
          But there's £750,000 mortgage lending to pay off when you die, so the "giving away" is more like a loan.

          I'm not expecting anyone to pay 1p more tax than they should, but I find it's sometimes interesting to replace "the taxman" and "HMRC" with "we/us"...
          17-06-2021, 09:38 AM
        • IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
          by clairol
          So I’ve been listening to some property investment seminars where the suggestion is to buy ‘good’ properties, regularly put the rent up and never sell them.
          The advice is to keep them forever so you do not pay CGT; re-finance regularly and either enjoy the money or re-invest it; pay minimal...
          16-06-2021, 16:40 PM
        • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
          by Section20z
          Yes but people who do maths in your example could give the £750,000 away before death so beneficiaries get £400,000 extra and tax man loses ....
          17-06-2021, 09:01 AM
        • Reply to IHT, CGT and Income tax avoidance
          by jpkeates
          It might be popular, but only to people who can't do maths.

          It's only a tax effective policy in the same way that having no money when you die means you don't pay that much inheritance tax.

          Ignoring the reliefs and personal thresholds for simplicity, if you die with a portfolio...
          17-06-2021, 08:10 AM
        • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
          by jpkeates
          Surely the business continued (the rent was still owed, even if not paid) and the business continued until the disposal of the property (assuming it was the only property in the business).

          Your interpretation is more appealing if it can be justified....
          17-06-2021, 07:54 AM
        • Reply to Need CGT help or do i ned an accountant
          by jpkeates
          Whoever gave you that advice doesn't understand how CGT works.
          You straight line the increase between purchase and disposal and you can deduct any time the property was your main residence (plus some additional months) as that period's gain is tax free.

          Any valuation when you start...
          17-06-2021, 07:52 AM