Travel expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses

I may be misunderstanding this Hamilton Fraser guide (see excerpt below) but are self-employed landlords allowed to claim travel expenses or not? Thanks.

"A self-employed landlord can claim some of these – the costs of travel with your own vehicle and working from home – using ‘simplified expenses’. Simplified expenses use a flat rate for these costs to avoid complicated calculations: they’re by far the easiest way to claim expenses.

There are some specific things to think about here, as a landlord.

Firstly, your travel expenses. HMRC does not allow you to claim “regular and predictable” travel between your home and your place of work.

This means you can’t claim for travelling between your home and your existing properties. You can claim for travelling to view new properties, but only if you end up buying the property."
    assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

If you do diy repairs to your BTL property, you can claim mileage allowance for using car to take tools and repair materials to the property or to visit property to change the door lock or check new keys are cut correctly.

Comment

So I cannot claim mileage for doing quarterly inspections or annual gas safety certificates etc as these would be considered "predictable" but diy is ok because it is unpredictable in nature?

Comment

As far as I am concerned the advice you are reading is bull. You can claim all mileage. A rental property is not your regular place of work which applies to fixed PAYE jobs. A freelance teacher who travels to the homes of various students can claim all the costs of her travel. It's a cost.

Comment

I agree with the above.
          A rental property is not a regular place of work in that sense.

As long as the travel is wholly and exclusively for your business, it can be treated as an allowable expense.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your replies. The guide was for this tax year, so I just thought I had missed some changes in HMRC legislation!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
              by wangw
              Hi guys,

1st post here thought I try my luck here.

I have a fairy basic question which I thought many would have come across. I currently own 100% of my main residence (call property 1), and I live with my unmarried partner who has no property under her name. I am at 45% tax...
              19-04-2021, 15:44 PM
            • Reply to Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
              by Neelix
              I suppose the obvious question is can your partner remortgage property 1 with no previous mortgage history ?...
              19-04-2021, 17:19 PM
            • Reply to Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
              by AndrewDod
              Yes most of what you say is right. There is a heavy tax on marriage - which you are avoiding by being unmarried.

- Resetting the market value for purposes of her CGT which you would be unable to do if married
              - Avoiding SDLT on other purchases in YOUR name
              19-04-2021, 16:45 PM
            • Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
              by Thurrock1
              Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
              18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
            • Reply to Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
              by Thurrock1
              Thank you for your replies. It's hard to get yr head around!! but i think ive got it.

I am hoping to take some of this deposit back now as monthly repayments (as the flat was bought in 2008 and i need some of the money now). So I think I am ok doing this, so long as, on the sale of the...
              18-04-2021, 11:49 AM
              by Gordon999
              The SA Tax return is for reporting rental income and rental expenses. The £25K deposit is not reported in the SATR .

The £25K deposit is treated like a second mortgage loan at Nil interest . So if the property costs £100K , the 1st mortgage lender provides £75K loan and you provide...
              18-04-2021, 11:01 AM
              by jpkeates
              How is the money being "taken back"?
              18-04-2021, 09:21 AM
            • MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
              by landlord-man
              Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
              17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
            • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
              by jase222
              I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare...
              18-04-2021, 05:56 AM
            • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
              by Gordon999
              The simple way : You take last year's - 12 months rental income , expenses and profit and divide by 4 and submit the 25% figures each quarterly return and submit the real 12 months figures in the 4th Quarter Tax Return.
              18-04-2021, 03:20 AM
            Working...
            X