Tax for renew lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax for renew lease

I going to receive my new 999-year lease with no ground rent payable is given to the leaseholder, after I paid around £7,000 to extend my current flat from 89 years lease to a 999-year lease with no ground rent payable.

I received a piece of advice that there are income tax implications. If matters are arranged so that a new 999-year lease with no ground rent payable is given to the leaseholder, his understanding is that the leaseholders are already aware that something of value is being given to them. In tax terms, this value is being moved out of the company and is being given to the shareholder. This movement of value is known as a deemed distribution, for income tax purposes. A distribution is taxed on the individual as if it was a dividend and each leaseholder would have to declare the distribution on their tax return and pay the additional amount of income tax that arises. This may be 7.5%, 32.5%, or 38.1%, or indeed a mix of those rates.

Isn't true that I need to pay this as a dividend tax above. I was very confused because I already paid £7,000 to extend my current flat lease. Why do I need to pay this as tax (That flat is my private resident since 2013)?

Who owns the freehold company ? The company may have to pay company tax on the £7000 sale received from you. You have not received a £7000 dividend from the freehold company.

You have liability to pay income tax on your annual income and capital gains tax after sale of your asset.

But the lease extension is not "earnings income" and its not liable for capital gain tax because you haven't sold your leasehold flat yet .

Comment

The freehold company was owned by a pension investment company. After we purchased it, they will transfer our share of the freehold to all flat owners (Half of us, including me, have this as a private resident). According to them, we need to pay because we are freeholders now. Isn't correct?

Comment

The advice given to me some 10 years ago is that the leaseholder has liability for capital gains tax after the property has been sold, but not after lease extension. This applies if the leaseholders own the freehold title and are on both sides of the lease extension transaction. But if the lease extension was done whilst the freehold company was owned by a pension investment company, your £7000 is received as profit by the freehold company which has to pay 19% company tax ?? I do not know if you become liable for tax on the money which you paid to the company?

https://www.wealthprotectionreport.co.uk/public/843.cfm

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
          by wangw
          Hi guys,

1st post here thought I try my luck here.

I have a fairy basic question which I thought many would have come across. I currently own 100% of my main residence (call property 1), and I live with my unmarried partner who has no property under her name. I am at 45% tax...
          19-04-2021, 15:44 PM
        • Reply to Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
          by Neelix
          Just watch out she doesn't leave you as soon as the transfer is complete ...................
          19-04-2021, 17:59 PM
          by wangw
          I suppose the other alternative is to buy the property 2 in her name (provided she can afford the new mortgage, if not we can look at JBSP), wait till legally married and we are free to transfer the properties between us. With interest rates where it is, the actual tax savings would probably be min...
          19-04-2021, 17:55 PM
          by wangw
          yeah it is a good question. as it will be a BTL so will just be the usual BTL prudent tests, hopefully just a question of can the rent cover the amount we want to borrow. I think some banks may not be willing to lend to her if she has no other main residence (i.e. HSBC has this rule).

19-04-2021, 17:53 PM
          by Neelix
          I suppose the obvious question is can your partner remortgage property 1 with no previous mortgage history ?...
          19-04-2021, 17:19 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Yes most of what you say is right. There is a heavy tax on marriage - which you are avoiding by being unmarried.

- Resetting the market value for purposes of her CGT which you would be unable to do if married
          - Avoiding SDLT on other purchases in YOUR name
          19-04-2021, 16:45 PM
        • Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
          by Thurrock1
          Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
          18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
        • Reply to Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
          by Thurrock1
          Thank you for your replies. It's hard to get yr head around!! but i think ive got it.

I am hoping to take some of this deposit back now as monthly repayments (as the flat was bought in 2008 and i need some of the money now). So I think I am ok doing this, so long as, on the sale of the...
          18-04-2021, 11:49 AM
          by Gordon999
          The SA Tax return is for reporting rental income and rental expenses. The £25K deposit is not reported in the SATR .

The £25K deposit is treated like a second mortgage loan at Nil interest . So if the property costs £100K , the 1st mortgage lender provides £75K loan and you provide...
          18-04-2021, 11:01 AM
          by jpkeates
          How is the money being "taken back"?
          18-04-2021, 09:21 AM
        Working...
        X