CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?

Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
    I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
    In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
    My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for CGT puprposes.
    My understanding was that the orignal purchase costs were allowable expenses - solicitor buying fees, mortgage broker fees and mortgage arrangement fees etc.
    My accountant has informed me that the original arrangement fee was an allowable expense against rental income and should have been apportioned over the duration of the mortgage, so for example if the original mortgage was for 10 years then I should have claimed £130 every year on my annual tax return for 10 years.
    Is that correct?
    Can anyone tell me what are allowable expenses for CGT?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Regards
    John

Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
    Most people treat them as expenses as they're occurred, even though that's not technically correct.

Capital expenses are limited to those directly associated with the actual purchase and sale (which will include legal fees) and any significant improvements that materially affect the value of the property.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
        by landlord-man
        Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
        17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
      • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
        by landlord-man
        The answer is in the name - Making Tax Digital.

No more paper submissions...
        19-04-2021, 20:41 PM
      • Move to LTD Company and
        by Hama
        Hi All,

My first post and after some advice please.

Currently have 1 buy to let property that I am planning on transferring to a new LTD Company due to higher tax rates, we will be investing further into property in the future too.

I understand that transferring...
        19-04-2021, 20:36 PM
      • Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
        by wangw
        Hi guys,

1st post here thought I try my luck here.

I have a fairy basic question which I thought many would have come across. I currently own 100% of my main residence (call property 1), and I live with my unmarried partner who has no property under her name. I am at 45% tax...
        19-04-2021, 15:44 PM
      • Reply to Gift Property to avoid Stamp Surchage
        by Neelix
        Just watch out she doesn't leave you as soon as the transfer is complete ...................
        19-04-2021, 17:59 PM
        by wangw
        I suppose the other alternative is to buy the property 2 in her name (provided she can afford the new mortgage, if not we can look at JBSP), wait till legally married and we are free to transfer the properties between us. With interest rates where it is, the actual tax savings would probably be min...
        19-04-2021, 17:55 PM
        by wangw
        yeah it is a good question. as it will be a BTL so will just be the usual BTL prudent tests, hopefully just a question of can the rent cover the amount we want to borrow. I think some banks may not be willing to lend to her if she has no other main residence (i.e. HSBC has this rule).

19-04-2021, 17:53 PM
        by Neelix
        I suppose the obvious question is can your partner remortgage property 1 with no previous mortgage history ?...
        19-04-2021, 17:19 PM
        by AndrewDod
        Yes most of what you say is right. There is a heavy tax on marriage - which you are avoiding by being unmarried.

- Resetting the market value for purposes of her CGT which you would be unable to do if married
        - Avoiding SDLT on other purchases in YOUR name
        19-04-2021, 16:45 PM
      • Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
        by Thurrock1
        Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
        18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
      Working...
      X