CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?

Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
    I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
    In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
    My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for CGT puprposes.
    My understanding was that the orignal purchase costs were allowable expenses - solicitor buying fees, mortgage broker fees and mortgage arrangement fees etc.
    My accountant has informed me that the original arrangement fee was an allowable expense against rental income and should have been apportioned over the duration of the mortgage, so for example if the original mortgage was for 10 years then I should have claimed £130 every year on my annual tax return for 10 years.
    Is that correct?
    Can anyone tell me what are allowable expenses for CGT?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Regards
    John

Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
    Most people treat them as expenses as they're occurred, even though that's not technically correct.

Capital expenses are limited to those directly associated with the actual purchase and sale (which will include legal fees) and any significant improvements that materially affect the value of the property.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
        by Thurrock1
        Hi, I bought a BTL flat in 2008 and wanted to recoup the deposit I paid on this (approx £25000). It is in joint names but the deposit was paid by me only. I wanted to take back that money and wondered how to list this in the SA tax return. If anyone can advise me i would be really grateful. Th...
        18-04-2021, 08:26 AM
      • Reply to Tax situation on money I paid for deposit
        by Thurrock1
        Thank you for your replies. It's hard to get yr head around!! but i think ive got it.

I am hoping to take some of this deposit back now as monthly repayments (as the flat was bought in 2008 and i need some of the money now). So I think I am ok doing this, so long as, on the sale of the...
        18-04-2021, 11:49 AM
        by Gordon999
        The SA Tax return is for reporting rental income and rental expenses. The £25K deposit is not reported in the SATR .

The £25K deposit is treated like a second mortgage loan at Nil interest . So if the property costs £100K , the 1st mortgage lender provides £75K loan and you provide...
        18-04-2021, 11:01 AM
        by jpkeates
        How is the money being "taken back"?
        18-04-2021, 09:21 AM
      • MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
        by landlord-man
        Now that we know every LL will be captured by the new MTD Reporting Rules from April 2023 (at the latest) - do you think LLs with just one property will abandon the PRS in large numbers?

I'm unsure whether Letting Agents will be competent enough to take on this responsibility - and I cannot...
        17-04-2021, 09:17 AM
      • Reply to MTD and an End to Accidental Landlords ?
        by jase222
        I know many who use pen and paper, there should be a way for those who do to summit it 4 x a year by paper? My parents are in there 70s and trying to get them set u will a nightmare...
        18-04-2021, 05:56 AM
        by Gordon999
        The simple way : You take last year's - 12 months rental income , expenses and profit and divide by 4 and submit the 25% figures each quarterly return and submit the real 12 months figures in the 4th Quarter Tax Return.
        18-04-2021, 03:20 AM
      • Limited Company and BBL
        by Cameron9988
        Could do with some advice.
        So I have a Ltd company with a semi commercial proeprty in it as follows :
        • Value £155k
        • No mortgage
        • Bank Natwest
        • Have a £50 Bounce Back Loan ( BBL ) in the business account un-used
        • The BBL was loaned to the Ltd
        I now want to transfer another semi commercial...
        17-04-2021, 08:33 AM
      • Reply to Limited Company and BBL
        by Gordon999
        I would expect your own tax bill at 10% rate on £4600 taxable capital gain after disposal of commercial property held under personal name, may be around £460 .
        18-04-2021, 03:09 AM
        by davidmartin_uk
        Its landlords with a turnover of more than £10,000 a year. So any property rented for £830 a month. Basically nearly all landlords!!. Starts April 2023. Just got to do 4 times a year instead just one time in jan. once you get a system going it should not be too bad....
        17-04-2021, 21:35 PM
      Working...
      X