Benefit in Kind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefit in Kind.

My brother and I are the directors of the company whose 3 leaseholders jointly own the freehold to the three flats in the property. To date we have granted, at no charge, 2 lease extensions of 999 years one for a leaseholder/shareholder who was not a director and one to ourselves as a leaseholder/shareholder. However we have been advised by a leaseholder/shareholder that when we issued the second lease extension as directors to ourselves as leaseholders "that this will result in a benefit in kind on you, upon which you will be liable to pay income tax at your marginal rates, and [the company] will be liable to employer’s NI [1A] on the benefit although as correct procedure was not carried out at the time, the company can claim that back from the directors involved. Therefore, the company is legally obliged to issue P11Ds and report them to HMRC." What is the position please?

To simplify my earlier post. Do the directors of the company which owns the freehold gain a 'Benefit in Kind' when they give themselves as leaseholders a lease extension for free. They had already given a similar lease extension for free to another leaseholder.

Comment

The value of the freehold decreases by roughly the same about as the benefit you gain as lessee. I can't see this is an overall benefit or taxable.

The fact that you are a Director is not relevant one way or the other (of course you cannot make decisions as Director that are in your interest whilst treating ordinary shareholders differently - but you are not doing that). .

Comment

Managing Rental Properties :
        (A) Under Self management and sole trader :

Pros : (1) Maximises rental profit for property owner.
        ( 2) Rental profit declared in SATR tax return
        ( 3) lower interest rate for mortgage loan

Cons : (1) cannot charge for own labour
        ( 2) Chargeable Expenses limited to payment to other parties .
        ( 3) Rental profit added to job income and taxed at 20%. 40% or 45%.
        (4) Dealing direct with rental tenant.

(B ) Under Ltd Company .

Pros : (1) Separate legal entity and separate tax return
        (2) Max imum company tax rate is 19%
        (3) Director can be paid salary.

Cons : (1) Filing Annual Accounts to Companies House.
        (2) Liability for National Insurance for employees.
        (3) Filing company tax return
        (4) Requires 2 directors .

Comment

Sorry, above reply posted to wrong thread,

Comment

If the company is not trading with outside parties, it is holding the freehold title on behalf of the 3 leaseholders.

When the leaseholder is on both sides of the extension and the transaction is "done at no charge", its treated as "trading with yourself" and there is no capital gain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Buying a property from my Father
              by Gordon999
              Its something to clarify with a conveyancing solicitor before you decide to proceed . I am not qualified to give tax advice.
              10-04-2021, 22:44 PM
            • Buying a property from my Father
              by nick_noal
              Hi guys,

My dad is selling his buy to let property and it just so happens that I am also looking to expand my portfolio so we have agreed a price at the current market value.

Could anyone please advise if there is a more tax efficient way to do the transaction rather than just...
              08-04-2021, 20:38 PM
              by nick_noal
              thanks Gordon.

So if my father made an overpayment of £1 on his mortgage then there wouldn’t be a SDLT charge if I went down the disposal by gifting route?

thanks again...
              10-04-2021, 22:36 PM
            • CGT and tax returns
              by Lots on
              Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
              02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
            • Reply to CGT and tax returns
              by Lots on
              Thank you JP. I am not involved in finance in my job ( I work for the nhs as a clinician) and what I know I have picked up as I go along, so it is definitely something to consider. A one off consultation might be the way forward, to help with tax returns and minimise CGT....
              10-04-2021, 16:41 PM
              by jpkeates
              I should add that I have had quite a lot of experience of business finance and tax from my work, so there wasn't expecting there to be too much that I'd missed in my planning.
              The less you know about tax and accounting the more likely you are to have missed some benefits I'd have thought.
              10-04-2021, 08:36 AM
              by jpkeates
              I found a good accountant by looking for a local firm with offices (above a high street is a usual location) and sending an online enquiry from their web site.
              The lack of response ruled most of them out straight away.
              Met with two of them, like one more than the other and have used them...
              10-04-2021, 08:33 AM
            • CGT On-Line Reporting Query
              by jghomer
              Hi Guys

I've just sold one of my BTL props, and made a gain for which I am aware I need to report and pay the tax due within 30 days.

I've set up the account on the Gov portal, which was easy enough.

I wondered is it relatively straight forward to report the gain...
              09-04-2021, 12:38 PM
            • Reply to CGT On-Line Reporting Query
              by jghomer
              The gain will all be at 28% due to being a HR Tax Payer. It will be approx 7k tax to pay after deduction of base costs, purch costs, sales costs and cgt allowance.
              10-04-2021, 07:44 AM
              by Gordon999
              The gov.uk website :

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-du...-property#comp

shows this :
              Companies

Companies must pay the higher rates for any residential property they buy if the:
              • property is £40,000 or more
              • interest
              10-04-2021, 05:50 AM
            Working...
            X