Question re tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question re tax return

My wife and I are about to sell a BTL flat.

We completed a Deed of Trust soon after purchase and have reported rental income for the last ten years on a 90/10 split until November 2020 when our tenants moved out.

We have decided to sell up and completed a new Deed of Trust in November 2020 ( acknowledged by HMRC) to reflect a 50/50 split in order to maximise our CGT allowances.

When I fill in my income tax return, do I enter rental income split 90/10 from April until November 2020, or because I lodged a new 50/50 split in November, do I have to enter rental income for the whole year to reflect the new 50/50 split?

Grateful for any advice,

Regards Dave

The rental income should be split 90 :10 up to date of sale because the property is now vacant. .

Comment

That’s what I was hoping! Many thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
        by dotcotton999
        Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
        08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
      • Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
        by Gordon999
        D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
        12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
      • CGT and tax returns
        by Lots on
        Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
        02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
      • Reply to CGT and tax returns
        by Lots on
        Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
        12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
      • Reply to CGT and tax returns
        by jpkeates
        Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
        12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
      • Reply to spreadsheet
        by jpkeates
        I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
        12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
      • spreadsheet
        by jase222
        I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
        I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
        ​​​​​​Any help...
        11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
        by jpkeates
        When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
        On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
        12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
        by dotcotton999
        Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
        11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
      • Reply to spreadsheet
        by Gordon999
        Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
        11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
      Working...
      X