CGT sell whilst under the £12,300 allowance and rebuy in April?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Not quite.

FTSE100 was at 6250 points 20 years ago, it is 6500 today (approx).

£200,000 over that time would have returned about £7K per year because of the dividends;

https://www.cazenovecapital.com/uk/f...ithout-moving/

if you include dividends the index has actually returned 3.54% a year
    I'm obliged, I should have said invest £282500 then to be accurate.
    But the article simply referred to common theories and nowhere stated that 90% of people "fail" , what may be true is that 90% of investors lose money, which I'm sure is true for us all (on some investment at some point ).

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
      I'm obliged, I should have said invest £282500 then to be accurate.
      I'm in agreement with the gist of your earlier post, you just picked the wrong index over the wrong time frame!

The S&P500 over the same time averaged about 15% per year not including dividends.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post

Not surprisingly, new techniques have evolved to get around the rules. The most obvious is to make use of that most useful taxation tool — the spouse. You own the shares solely, sell them in the market (creating the gain), your spouse simultaneously repurchases in the market to avoid price movement and later transfers the shares back to you (if that’s desirable), which can be done in effect at the repurchase price remember.
        I have been following a post on another website about changing percentages held on a property for CGT reasons as we want to do similar with ours when we sell. A Chartered Tax Adviser has said that if you make a change with the primary motive being tax then it comes within the scope of anti-avoidance. This would apply to shares too.

However I would have thought this was tax planning and I'm not sure why it would be allowed in the first place (ie. transfers to spouse) if they didn't expect people to use it to their advantage. And I would think majority of reasons to do such transactions would be related to tax.

Comment

No secret, simply invest £200,000 across the whole FTSE100 and you would have made substantially more than £10k per year across the last 20 years.
          90% of people must be either very stupid or very unlucky
          The FTSE100 is flawed, because it measures the top 100 companies. However, if a few companies, drop out of the FTSE100. You have to sell those stock and buy the new stock. I don't know how frequently, they change the FTSE100.

An FTSE 100 index fund might be better for that.....

Comment

No secret, simply invest £200,000 across the whole FTSE100 and you would have made substantially more than £10k per year across the last 20 years.
            90% of people must be either very stupid or very unlucky
            https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...long-term.html

This report shows 90% or more people are unlucky investing in the FTSE-100 over the last 20 years.

But 90% of people holding property over last 20 years would have won investing in their property

Comment

Originally posted by cuttingman View Post
              rebuy in the new financial year?
              FWIW some assets seem fairly bubbly to me at the moment. Bitcoin most obviously. And US tech.

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              90% of investors fail in the stock market.
              Buy and hold is generally successful. Stock markets have a strong tendency to produce positive returns long term.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by Gordon999
                D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
                12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
              • Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by dotcotton999
                Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
                08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
                12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
              • CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
                02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by jpkeates
                Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
                12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
              • spreadsheet
                by jase222
                I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
                I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
                ​​​​​​Any help...
                11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by jpkeates
                I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
                12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
                by jpkeates
                When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
                On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
                12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
                by dotcotton999
                Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
                11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by Gordon999
                Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
                11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
              Working...
              X