Traditional accounting or Cash Basis ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional accounting or Cash Basis ....

I have a Self Assessment to fill. In the section where they ask about Traditional Accounting or Cash Basis Which one shall I choose.

I have one Studio flat BTL for which I receive rent and expenses earning below £150k of course. I also have a job.

1) What option to choose here?

2) What factors consider for my choice?

3) Whether it is a matter of legal requirement to choose the right one?

I am confused because I have heard/read that if one accept advance rent payment that also goes on to the next financial year then under cash basis you cant spread it to next tax year to lower the tax liability. In tis case am I ok to choose traditional accounting every year.

If there are any other factors tips I need to be aware of please help me choose.

I expect your SATR tax return covers one year period from 6 April 2019 to 5 April 2020 for 12 months rental income and expenses .

You should have kept records showing date when you received rent and when you paid expenses..
    Traditional or cash is a tricky question ? If you received a bill in mid March , it is reported in this year's tax return ( traditional) or if you paid the bill 6 April or later , it falls into in next year's return ( cash ) . So better to choose traditional.

Best to make sure you have included rental income and expense bills for 12 months.

Comment

Thanks Gordon,

I do keep records and as all the payments bar one go via the bank its easy to see/keep records. Luckily any advance payments made have been within the year of the financial years including the rent on 13th Mar.

Last year(2018-2019) I received rent a month in advance ie for period of 3rd Apr to 2nd May what should have I done for this. I chose Traditional. But didn't spread it to next financial year. Was that still ok.

Comment

If you chose traditional you should have put it in 19/20.

Comment

If you are paid rent in advance and the period extends into next financial year, I would apportion the rent after 5 April and enter the part sum in next year's account.

Comment

So if I am choosing Traditional and get paid say £100 on 3rd of Apr rent in advance then I could split it. For eg say rent is £100pcm paid on 3rd Apr then £100x12 / 365 = £3.28 x 3(3rd, 4th and 5th apr) = £9.86 for current financial year and £3.28 x 27 = £88.56 in to the next financial year.

How about any expense like insurance or ground rent to the free holder. If I pay that in advance on the 1st of Apr am I supposed to spread that.

If I left it in the current financial year is that ok as well, or is there a law stipulating I need to spread it appropriately. IE I am not going to be penalised for not doing so.

Correct me if I am wrong with my statement below.

I suppose which ever I choose I end up paying the same tax if nothing else changed in my situation.

Comment

I believe you have to ensure there is one annual insurance bill in the annual expense.

If you paid insurance bill "in advance" ( say - due date on 1st April) , you have to treat it as covering from 1st April to next Mar 31st.

So for the tax year 2019-2020, you would include insurance bill, due at 1st April 2019 .

The insurance bill due at 1st April 2020 will be reported in Tax Return ( 2020-2021 ) .

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                I believe you have to ensure there is one annual insurance bill in the annual expense.

Thanks.
                Personal circumstances prevents me to pay lump sum for now. I used to, then things changed. I will keep the advice payments in mind for the future.

Comment

I prefer cash basis as I do it myself and not want to spend time splitting bills between tax years. In the end the tax will be the same I think.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                    by JDO
                    Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
                    I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
                    In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
                    My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for...
                    26-02-2021, 11:24 AM
                  • Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                    by Gordon999
                    Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.
                    26-02-2021, 14:02 PM
                  • Cgt calulation
                    by Celibin
                    Based on current regs: Gain £135,000 owned 28 years let 3 years ?...
                    26-02-2021, 09:40 AM
                  • Reply to Cgt calulation
                    by Gordon999
                    Period as your "main residence" = 25 years plus 9 months after moving away is exempt for cgt.

Period under letting = 3 years -9 months = 2.25 years .

Taxable capital gain = £135K x 2.25 /28 = £10,850 which is below your annual capital gains allowance.= £0...
                    26-02-2021, 13:51 PM
                  • Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                    by jpkeates
                    Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
                    Most people treat them as...
                    26-02-2021, 11:58 AM
                  • Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                    by DaddyofTwo
                    Hi

About to purchase a new main home for my family and going to buying cash to hopefully avoid stamp duty holiday expiry (it'll be below £500k).

We won't have the time to sell our current home, and might want to keep it anyway as a BTL to add to our current portfolio which...
                    22-02-2021, 14:42 PM
                  • Reply to Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                    by Jerome2020
                    You’re correct if the property is in England. Should be no CGT if always was your home and company pays just the 3% additional rate if value below £500k. Even if solicitors can’t get the job done by 31 March, it’s still possible to document the transfer of beneficial interest. This might be handy...
                    26-02-2021, 05:17 AM
                  • Reply to Expense
                    by jpkeates
                    You can only expense things that are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business.
                    I don't see how that would qualify because most of it is for the purpose of living in Spain, not for the business.

No one does monthly inspections and it's obviously an attempt to funnel...
                    25-02-2021, 09:02 AM
                  • Expense
                    by jase222
                    Hi,
                    My dad asked me today, if he spends the late summer in his property in Spain say 3 months and he flys back once a month to check and inspect would that be claimable?? I said yes can't see why not but then would the. Hmrc say from permanent residence?...
                    24-02-2021, 16:53 PM
                  • Reply to Expense
                    by Neelix
                    I think that HMRC will not allow 100% - I would say he should call them and ask
                    25-02-2021, 08:41 AM
                  Working...
                  X