Share of Freehold Implication for Capital Gains Tax Allowances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share of Freehold Implication for Capital Gains Tax Allowances

I am in the process of selling a flat that was purchased as a 'normal' Leasehold property in 2015. Last year I purchased a share of the freehold (there are 24 flats in the block with now, 19 other 'Share of Freeholders' having also purchased). My question is this:-
    I am now selling the flat and am interested to know if someone can advise me as to where I stand, regarding CGT allowances, when I submit to HMRC the sale/profit details.
    The flat was purchased (without the share of freehold element) at £250,000. I am now selling it for £260,000 - which now includes the cost element of the 'Share of Freehold'.
    Q. Am I able to claim, as an off-settable 'Allowable Expense' the original cost I paid for the Share of Freehold fee (therefore reducing the amount of declared 'profit') or; should the Share of Freehold fee that I originally paid, be classed as a cost incurred, and classed as an 'overhead' for submission, instead, in my annual tax return 2020-21 year?
    I would be grateful for any comments received.
    Thanks DMR

Originally posted by DMR View Post
    Q. Am I able to claim, as an off-settable 'Allowable Expense' the original cost I paid for the Share of Freehold fee (therefore reducing the amount of declared 'profit') or; should the Share of Freehold fee that I originally paid, be classed as a cost incurred, and classed as an 'overhead' for submission, instead, in my annual tax return 2020-21 year?
    That's a capital expense and is allowable against the gain.
    Which is a shame, because it looks like the gain is already less than your personal allowance.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Always good to get an opinion but. Having firmly advised me that 'that's a capital expense allowable against the gain', which I take as a stated fact, I'm a little confused that you also advise me that I should 'check with an adult/some kind of expert (for the correct answer to my question raised)?
      What I am really looking for is a 'definitive' answer to my original question..
      Thanks anyway, for responding to my initial question raised.

Comment

Originally posted by DMR View Post
        Always good to get an opinion but. Having firmly advised me that 'that's a capital expense allowable against the gain', which I take as a stated fact, I'm a little confused that you also advise me that I should 'check with an adult/some kind of expert (for the correct answer to my question raised)?
        What I am really looking for is a 'definitive' answer to my original question..
        Thanks anyway, for responding to my initial question raised.
        That text is automatically added to all of my posts (and I don't actually see it myself).
        It's there because this is an anonymous web forum and while you can get useful advice and opinions you shouldn't rely on it.

I am confident in my opinion, but I am not qualified to give tax (or any other financial) advice, because those are regulated activities.
        And the reverse is true, no qualified person should ever offer their opinions on this kind of forum.

If you want a definitive answer, you'll have to ask HMRC (and they're biased) or find a suitably qualified person who's views are backed by professional indemnity insurance (in case they're wrong).
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Many thanks for getting back to me with your further comments. I appreciate your sentiments and points made.

Comment

Jpk . is correct . The cost for share in the freehold company is a "capital expense" and added to the "original purchase cost" to give "total cost" for calculating the capital gain..

Comment

Many thanks for re-iterating jpk's original comments. Most helpful.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parents transferring property to children
                by dhoops97
                Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
                16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
              • Reply to Parents transferring property to children
                by jpucng62
                I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
                16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
                by dhoops97
                This situation, is it not essentially a rent to rent agreement, but with no contract. If so, would a contract need to be written up, so that we can legally receive the money?

What would you say is the best way to transfer a property to your children, without triggering CGT....
                16-01-2021, 15:45 PM
                by jpucng62
                If your Dad is the mortgage holder and the person named on the title deed he will be the legal recipient of the rent - I don't believe he can just transfer it to you for tax purposes.

He could pay you to manage the properties but that isn't really going to solve the issue. Your brother...
                16-01-2021, 15:39 PM
              • Reply to Tax expense dates?
                by ben100
                It's a 2 bed terrace house, damp course was ­£900...
                16-01-2021, 13:28 PM
              • Tax expense dates?
                by ben100
                Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
                15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
              • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                by Celibin
                We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
                16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
              • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
                by theartfullodger
                There are 55cm wide cookers, have been for years.

Sounds like income tax matter not CGT. What items do you think are CGT relevant?
                16-01-2021, 13:02 PM
              • Ir???
                by GrumpMonkey
                Hello,

I recall there used to be a tax rule that allowed property finance interest for tax purposes to be no more than the interest on the purchase price of the property. If the finance was less than the value of the property, other property interest could be used to make up the shortfall,...
                15-01-2021, 20:48 PM
              • Reply to Ir???
                by GrumpMonkey
                Thanks. I suspected it might have been. I made good use of that rule while it lasted....
                16-01-2021, 11:02 AM
              Working...
              X