£1000 income allowance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£1000 income allowance?

Doing my taxes and have come across this £1000 income expense allowance, what exactly is it and how does it work?

It's a simplified tax allowance.

First of all, if your income from property is less than £1000 in a tax year, you don't have to pay any tax on it.
    That's pretty unusual in practice.

You can claim £1000 of allowance against income without providing any detail (or actually incurring any costs).
    You can't claim any other allowance against income on the same return.

You can't use the £1000 to create a loss that you then carry forward.

If the property income is joint, each person can claim the allowance.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      It's a simplified tax allowance.

First of all, if your income from property is less than £1000 in a tax year, you don't have to pay any tax on it.
      That's pretty unusual in practice.

You can claim £1000 of allowance against income without providing any detail (or actually incurring any costs).
      You can't claim any other allowance against income on the same return.

You can't use the £1000 to create a loss that you then carry forward.

If the property income is joint, each person can claim the allowance.
      Sorry I don't quite follow isn't this £1000 based on expenses and if they are not high I just take this allowance and obviously the income of rent is greater than £1000 so can this still be used? When do people choose to actually use this allowance instead?

Comment

You can only use all of the £1000 if the income is more than £1000, otherwise the amount you can claim is capped at the amount of the income.

The £1000 isn't "based on" expenses, it's instead of claiming for actual expenses. It's essentially an additional tax free allowance if you don't have a lot of income or expenses.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parents transferring property to children
          by dhoops97
          Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
          16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
        • Reply to Parents transferring property to children
          by jpucng62
          I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
          16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
          by dhoops97
          This situation, is it not essentially a rent to rent agreement, but with no contract. If so, would a contract need to be written up, so that we can legally receive the money?

What would you say is the best way to transfer a property to your children, without triggering CGT....
          16-01-2021, 15:45 PM
          by jpucng62
          If your Dad is the mortgage holder and the person named on the title deed he will be the legal recipient of the rent - I don't believe he can just transfer it to you for tax purposes.

He could pay you to manage the properties but that isn't really going to solve the issue. Your brother...
          16-01-2021, 15:39 PM
        • Tax expense dates?
          by ben100
          Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
          15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
        • Reply to Tax expense dates?
          by ben100
          It's a 2 bed terrace house, damp course was ­£900...
          16-01-2021, 13:28 PM
        • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
          by Celibin
          We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
          16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
        • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
          by theartfullodger
          There are 55cm wide cookers, have been for years.

Sounds like income tax matter not CGT. What items do you think are CGT relevant?
          16-01-2021, 13:02 PM
        • Ir???
          by GrumpMonkey
          Hello,

I recall there used to be a tax rule that allowed property finance interest for tax purposes to be no more than the interest on the purchase price of the property. If the finance was less than the value of the property, other property interest could be used to make up the shortfall,...
          15-01-2021, 20:48 PM
        • Reply to Ir???
          by GrumpMonkey
          Thanks. I suspected it might have been. I made good use of that rule while it lasted....
          16-01-2021, 11:02 AM
        Working...
        X