Class 4 NIC on rental property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class 4 NIC on rental property

My accountant has completed my tax return. I work as a self employed cleaner and that is my income. Last year I earned less than my personal tax allowance. I rent out a property and I make a profit. Can someone please confirm that class 4 is NOT payable on rental income?

The class 4 NIC applies to self employed persons , so does your cleaning income reach the NICs starting point ?

https://forbeswatson.co.uk/national-...rental-income/

Comment

Hi All

my partner's only income is property income, and this year she has £20k profit after tax (first time she's had a decent amount)

Weve got to the end of the self assessment return and it says £1600 too pay in tax, which is fine, but then apparently we need to pay the same again during 2021 (in two instalments) for NIC??! IS that correct please?

Comment

The rental profit ( rental income after deducting allowable expenses ) is taxed as " income + your job income " = total income which is tax at 20% and 40% after deducting the personal allowance.

The class 4 NIC rate is charged on " trading income" but not charged on "investment income",
        ""
        If the "rental income comes from property held for long term, it is "investment income".

Comment

bhodgkiss,

Do you mean £20K profit after expenses ?

If the rental income comes from properties held long term, it is "investment income" and not subject to class 4NIC.

http://accountant-preston-lancashire...e-lettings-tax

Comment

Are you certain it's for NIC's? I think its the two payments on account which is towards the tax for the next year.

Comment

Thanks All

So strangley the figure in two instalments to pay this coming year is exactly the same amount I needed to pay by 31st Jan

So tax bill due on 31st Jan 2021 is £1688

Then in addition I have to pay £844 on 31st Jan and £844 on 31st July 2021, but these add up EXACTLY to the tax due (£1688)

The HMRC site is vague as to why im paying this, other than a reference to Class 2 NIC? (*sorry not class 4 as i originally said above)

Why would she be paying a sum now in two instalments for 2020-21 tax year, when they//we dont know how much tax it'll be? Also my own return doesnt have this requirement, so it seems specific to my partners return as she doesnt work?

Comment

(I dont undestand why my partner has to pay in advance for 2020/21 (in two instalments) and I dont.
                I work full time PAYE, and she doesnt, so I believe this is the difference?

Comment

It's how the tax system works for self employed/rental income. If she feels she will owe less tax for the following year them she can apply to reduce the payments on account. From what you have posted it seems that she hasn't had to pay any NI and this just relates to tax. Each payment on account is based on the current year's tax due and is split into two.

You won't have it as your tax is deducted under the PAYE system as you get paid.

https://www.gov.uk/understand-self-a...nts-on-account

Comment

"Then in addition I have to pay £844 on 31st Jan and £844 on 31st July 2021, but these add up EXACTLY to the tax due (£1688)"

HMRC use this years figures to guess at next years. When you do your next tax return any difference will be sorted out.

You can change the amount if you know it will be different but if you underpay you can be charged interest.

We will eventually go to quarterly reporting which will remove the need for t his.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by Gordon999
                      Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.
                      26-02-2021, 14:02 PM
                    • CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by JDO
                      Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
                      I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
                      In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
                      My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for...
                      26-02-2021, 11:24 AM
                    • Reply to Cgt calulation
                      by Gordon999
                      Period as your "main residence" = 25 years plus 9 months after moving away is exempt for cgt.

Period under letting = 3 years -9 months = 2.25 years .

Taxable capital gain = £135K x 2.25 /28 = £10,850 which is below your annual capital gains allowance.= £0...
                      26-02-2021, 13:51 PM
                    • Cgt calulation
                      by Celibin
                      Based on current regs: Gain £135,000 owned 28 years let 3 years ?...
                      26-02-2021, 09:40 AM
                    • Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by jpkeates
                      Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
                      Most people treat them as...
                      26-02-2021, 11:58 AM
                    • Reply to Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                      by Jerome2020
                      You’re correct if the property is in England. Should be no CGT if always was your home and company pays just the 3% additional rate if value below £500k. Even if solicitors can’t get the job done by 31 March, it’s still possible to document the transfer of beneficial interest. This might be handy...
                      26-02-2021, 05:17 AM
                    • Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                      by DaddyofTwo
                      Hi

About to purchase a new main home for my family and going to buying cash to hopefully avoid stamp duty holiday expiry (it'll be below £500k).

We won't have the time to sell our current home, and might want to keep it anyway as a BTL to add to our current portfolio which...
                      22-02-2021, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to Expense
                      by jpkeates
                      You can only expense things that are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business.
                      I don't see how that would qualify because most of it is for the purpose of living in Spain, not for the business.

No one does monthly inspections and it's obviously an attempt to funnel...
                      25-02-2021, 09:02 AM
                    • Expense
                      by jase222
                      Hi,
                      My dad asked me today, if he spends the late summer in his property in Spain say 3 months and he flys back once a month to check and inspect would that be claimable?? I said yes can't see why not but then would the. Hmrc say from permanent residence?...
                      24-02-2021, 16:53 PM
                    • Reply to Expense
                      by Neelix
                      I think that HMRC will not allow 100% - I would say he should call them and ask
                      25-02-2021, 08:41 AM
                    Working...
                    X