X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamp duty when owner moves back to uk from abroad

Hi Everyone...

I have looked for an answer to this question for some time,

If I sell my house in France where I live at the moment, (where I am resident) and then live in my UK property (which will become my main residence) which has been let for 7 years to various occupants, how long will I have to stay there before I sell it and buy somewhere else, so that I won't be liable for the new stamp duty rate on my new house purchase which will then become my main residence. anyone know???? Also, I have another property which is let at the moment and will carry on being let, I have no plans to sell it!....Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise

If you already have a property registered under your name, you have to pay the extra 3% sdlt on any new purchase.

If you are buying a new main residence , you can claim exemption to paying the extra 3% if you have recently sold your main residence in France. Or you can claim back 3% sdlt , if you sell the old main residence within 3 years of the new purchase. .

Comment

Hi Gordon999

Thank you for your reply, so providing I am buying a property as a main residence in the UK and I have disposed of my French home, I will not be liable for the extra 3% stamp duty, even though I will have sold one of the BTL's and kept the other one ?

I remember when I discussed this with my solicitor some time ago, he advised that I would be liable for the extra 3% as I still had BTL property, I thought at the time he was incorrect as I would be buying a main residence, and would have sold the one in France.

Comment

P.S.....and it will not make any difference if I live in one of the buy to lets (which will become my main residence) before selling it (the BTL that I will live in until I find a suitable main residence)

Comment

You should follow your solicitor's advice . I am not qualified to give advice and may be wrong.

Comment

If you own a property in the UK and buy another one, the 3% is payable. Its that simple. Its not avoidable

Comment

Hi All...

Following on from my original post, I have found some information from WARDS Solicitors, and this is what they say in answer to my question

'The majority of homeowners possess only one home or property and are unaffected by the new surcharge. An individual buying a second residential property can pretty much expect to pay the new stamp duty penalty or surcharge on that purchase. An exception is where the purchase is to replace a main residence. For this to apply there must be a sale of the existing main residence and the purchase of a replacement for it. Therefore the surcharge should not affect the majority of people moving in the conventional way, namely selling a home and buying a new home and moving on the same day. This applies no matter how many properties they may own in addition to their main home."

So it looks like providing I sell my French home which is my main residence and then move into one of my BTL's and then have that as my main residence, when I decide to sell it, even though I have another BTL, I won't be liable to the extra 3% as I am replacing my main residence......Example given by Wards solicitors below

Ms A owns both a main residence and a second home. She sells her main residence and purchases a new one. Although she has two properties at the end of the day of the transaction, she has replaced her main residence so the higher rates will not apply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by dotcotton999
                Evening all,

I am currently looking to move house and also have a rental property that has around £200k equity in it.

The rental house had consent to let and on a repayment mortgage and has 3 years to go until I can switch deals.

I have spoken to a mortgage broker...
                08-04-2021, 19:52 PM
              • Reply to Switching mortgage to BTL and tax implications
                by Gordon999
                D999,

The taxman's method of calculating :

Capital gain is the Sale Price ( say £200K ) minus Purchase Price ( say £130K ) = £70K capital gain.

But buying and selling expenses are allowable and include the conveyancing cost : say £1K plus estate agent'...
                12-04-2021, 14:17 PM
              • CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Hello all, just need some advice re CGT. I have a house which I refurbished entirely, mostly in this financial year and I could start my tax returns on the 6th of April 2021. I spent nearly £30000. New kitchen and bathroom, re doing the garden, new flooring throughout ,total electrical re wire, re...
                02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by Lots on
                Thank you for your kind words JP and the tips re using an accountant. Having been taxed at source all my working life this is very useful information. I will look round for an accountant. A friend of mine who is also a landlord as well as having a day job has one, so maybe a personal recommendation...
                12-04-2021, 10:04 AM
              • Reply to CGT and tax returns
                by jpkeates
                Thank you for your work in the NHS!

I've found that the first sessions were the most valuable in terms of what could be saved, and the value has diminished slightly and the costs of the returns being done has stayed the same/slightly increased, so it feels like it's less worth it.
                12-04-2021, 08:28 AM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by jpkeates
                I use one page of a spreadsheet for all the income and expenses and have other pages which automatically summarise the data property by property.
                12-04-2021, 08:24 AM
              • spreadsheet
                by jase222
                I been looking at spreadsheets to list my expenses and every template I find seems to allocate expenses per house ie 5 houses = 5 separate sheets whereas I just put everything down on one sheet.
                I would like to know if I have been doing it wrong all these years.
                ​​​​​​Any help...
                11-04-2021, 13:53 PM
                by jpkeates
                When you sell the property, you can't retain any of the equity, so that doesn't really make any sense to me.
                On disposal, the mortgage will end and have to be repaid.

The value of the rental property when first let is also a limit to the amount of the loan against which interest can...
                12-04-2021, 08:22 AM
                by dotcotton999
                Gordon999 thanks for your reply. In regards to CGT so if I was due to sell a house I could request to remove all the equity before the sale and wouldn’t be subject to CGT... that doesn’t seem right.

In regards to switching my mortgage from repayment to and interest only... would I incur...
                11-04-2021, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to spreadsheet
                by Gordon999
                Its good to keep a separate sheet for each property because when you come to sell one house , you may want to show the rental and expenses records for one house to prospective buyers.
                11-04-2021, 19:08 PM
              Working...
              X