Does retained damages deposit count as income for tax purposes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does retained damages deposit count as income for tax purposes?

Hi all,
    I had to evict a tenant during FY19-20 - thankfully, my first eviction in over 20 yrs of letting property. Together with owing about 6 months rent and the costs of eviction, she left the place in a right state which cost me more than her security deposit (which the letting agent gave me) to put right.
    As the deposit money was spent wholly on putting right damage that she had done, does it count as income for tax purposes?
    Thanks, Chris.

Yes.

For the avoidance of doubt, your claim against the tenant isn't limited to the deposit and you could pursue them for any loss greater than the deposit amount.
    Anything successfully collected would also be treated as income.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JP, I had a feeling it would. BTW, do you know anything about the tax treatment of funds spent on extending a leasehold? Last year I completed on a leasehold extension which cost me about £17,000 - just before these new rules. I know this expense is not allowable against income tax but is it allowed against any future gapital gain I may make and, if so, do I need to do something to claim, or register this relief?
      I seem to remember telling the tax office how much I paid for the flat.

Comment

The cost of the leasehold extension is allowable against the gain when sold.
        You don't need to do anything now to register the relief - just keep evidence of the costs just in case.

That's based on the regulations today - the rules might change over time.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks JP. Much appreciated

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tax question. relief for finance costs reduced to maximum allowable
            by jackboy
            Hi,

Quick question for my tax return. My mortgage interest costs this year were £67,710.19 so £16,667.55 went through as a deduction and £50k odd went into the box to calculate the relief for finance costs. But instead of calculating 20% on the £50k it has reduced this to the maximum...
            27-02-2021, 14:34 PM
          • Reply to Tax question. relief for finance costs reduced to maximum allowable
            by Gordon999
            You can write to hmrc and ask for a statement showing how they calculated your tax ( on form SA302 ).
            28-02-2021, 03:17 AM
            by jackboy
            Hardly, the stamp duty tax was eye watering and the other expenses involved including remortgaging costs, solicitors fee, tax advice etc etc amounted to a large expense but it was teh only way forward if i wanted to expand. The personal borrowing restrictions that apply to individuals don't apply to...
            27-02-2021, 15:22 PM
            by theartfullodger
            Was incorporation solely for tax reasons?
            27-02-2021, 15:13 PM
            by jackboy
            Just to add a bit more info. I've recently incorporated all my properties. Instead of paying a punitive tax bill I chose to spend money on refurbishments effectively reducing my profit to zero. I did this as i basically got a 40% discount on any refurbishment work and then transferred everything over...
            27-02-2021, 14:44 PM
          • spreadsheet
            by Jase2222
            Every tax year i give my accountant a list of rental income ,letting agent statements and receipts but recently he said could he have it all on a spreadsheet so it easier for him.

Has anyone got a example of a spreadsheet layout or any ideal of where to get one? ive put landlord spreadsheet...
            27-02-2021, 08:46 AM
          • Reply to spreadsheet
            by Gordon999
            Your accountant should provide you with a sample spreadsheet to suit his system.

For my own use , I have a separate spreadsheet for each property and "column headings" ( left to right ) are shown below :

1. Date ( entries going down )
            2. Monthly Rent income...
            27-02-2021, 09:44 AM
          • Reply to spreadsheet
            by Neelix
            12 "month columns" plus 1 column for what it is eg rental income
            as many lines as needed (1 per type of expense)

totals per month and per line and checks the totals agree

income first

out goings next

not too tricky

??...
            27-02-2021, 09:37 AM
          • Reply to spreadsheet
            by Mrs Mug
            I also just hand all my receipts etc over to my accountant. If I had to go to the trouble of entering everything into a spreadsheet, or entering things online, then I might as well do the tax return myself.

The whole point of using the accountant, is that it is one less thing for me to...
            27-02-2021, 09:26 AM
          • paying yourself to manage your own properties
            by MarvinMin
            Morning. Hi folks i'm new to all this and am wondering if what I'm going to propose is a done thing in the industry...I have a ltd company (a consultancy) and I have a couple of privately owned properties that I am thinking of renting out. Is it possible to take my rental income privately and then...
            16-02-2021, 12:45 PM
          Working...
          X