Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Tax

Hi all,

My father owns a handful of properties which he earns roughly £35,000 a year from rental income. He wants to be more hands off and has decided to make my brother and I the new landlords, by amending the tenancy agreements. The rental income would be paid into a joint account owned by my brother and I and we would pay my dad a fixed fee every month and then keep the remainder.
    My question is, how will HMRC view this?... I assume that we'd have to pay HMRC instead of my dad, as we are receiving the income. In addition, I'm nearly a 40% tax earner and my brother is at university. Am I aloud to split the income in a tax efficient way, so that my brother claims the majority of the income.

Your help is appreciated!

Regards

It might actually be more sensible for all three of you to be the joint landlord.

You can decide how you wish to split the income between you and write to HMRC to confirm how you plan to split the income and from what date.
    That is true if you are all three the landlord or just the two brothers.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your reply! I think my dad wants to be completely hands off, so it will just be my brother and I who are the landlords. As we are both the landlords and not the legal owners of the property, can we simply write to HMRC, informing them of how we plan to split the profits. My intention would be that my brother would receive all of the income, as he's at university, that way we can stick within the 20% tax bracket.

Regards

Comment

Is it really that easy to just gift somebody else the income?

Comment

Originally posted by dhoops97 View Post
          Thank you for your reply! I think my dad wants to be completely hands off, so it will just be my brother and I who are the landlords.
          You're possibly going to spend a lot of time explaining that arrangement,
          It's not normal for a property owner to simply hand over their property to someone else (even a family member) to let out.

And schemes that are simply designed, as this one is, to minimise the tax take or to shift the income from one person to another are not something that HMRC are neutral about.

As we are both the landlords and not the legal owners of the property, can we simply write to HMRC, informing them of how we plan to split the profits. My intention would be that my brother would receive all of the income, as he's at university, that way we can stick within the 20% tax bracket.
          You have to split the income if you're both landlords, so the maximum is probably 99:1%.

If you want your brother to have all of the income, he could be the sole landllord.

I'm more than happy to answer specific questions, but I would suggest that this whole arrangement could probably be set up more effectively than the fairly informal arrangement that you have outlined.
          Better to investigate and plan properly before you do anything than to try and fix it later.

And there are inheritance tax and CGT opportunities that may make it sensible to transfer some or all of the property to you.
          Speak to a family solicitor or an accountant.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

This is an interesting topic. I want to split btween me and my partner. Do I just need to write a letter to hmrc or any formal form that I need to fill in and send it? What is the legal procedure to do it? I am curious to know so I can take an informed decision. Thanks

Comment

Are you married to your partner or in an equivalent relationship?

Comment

Married partners. We have one of our proeprty is 'tenant in common' and written on land registry - split into 90:10% between two of us. Do we still need to fill in Form17 and let the HMRC know? Do we have to consult the solicitor to follow the procedure? Its the recent purchase though.

Comment

You normally have a limited amount of time to use form 17, and my guess is that time period has elapsed.
                  So yes, I'd talk to a solicitor.

Comment

Yes , you can send in a Form 17 which must reach the tax office withing 60 days of signing date .

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-and-income-17

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by Gordon999
                      Allowable expenses include solicitor's conveyancing fees , surveyors valuation & estate agent's charges for sale.
                      26-02-2021, 14:02 PM
                    • CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by JDO
                      Hello, I have recently sold one of my btl properties.
                      I have submitted my draft cgt calculation figures to my accountant.
                      In my figures I have included an original mortgage arrangement fee of £1300.
                      My accountant has informed me that the original fee is not an allowable expense for...
                      26-02-2021, 11:24 AM
                    • Reply to Cgt calulation
                      by Gordon999
                      Period as your "main residence" = 25 years plus 9 months after moving away is exempt for cgt.

Period under letting = 3 years -9 months = 2.25 years .

Taxable capital gain = £135K x 2.25 /28 = £10,850 which is below your annual capital gains allowance.= £0...
                      26-02-2021, 13:51 PM
                    • Cgt calulation
                      by Celibin
                      Based on current regs: Gain £135,000 owned 28 years let 3 years ?...
                      26-02-2021, 09:40 AM
                    • Reply to CGT calculation - are original mortgage arrangement fees an allowable expense?
                      by jpkeates
                      Your accountant is correct, the mortgage fees are finance costs (like the interest) and are subject to the restricted allowance against income.

I don't know anyone who actually does apportion them over the mortgage term, but that is the correct treatment.
                      Most people treat them as...
                      26-02-2021, 11:58 AM
                    • Reply to Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                      by Jerome2020
                      You’re correct if the property is in England. Should be no CGT if always was your home and company pays just the 3% additional rate if value below £500k. Even if solicitors can’t get the job done by 31 March, it’s still possible to document the transfer of beneficial interest. This might be handy...
                      26-02-2021, 05:17 AM
                    • Can I Reduce 3% Stamp Duty Surcharge by selling home to my own Ltd
                      by DaddyofTwo
                      Hi

About to purchase a new main home for my family and going to buying cash to hopefully avoid stamp duty holiday expiry (it'll be below £500k).

We won't have the time to sell our current home, and might want to keep it anyway as a BTL to add to our current portfolio which...
                      22-02-2021, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to Expense
                      by jpkeates
                      You can only expense things that are wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the business.
                      I don't see how that would qualify because most of it is for the purpose of living in Spain, not for the business.

No one does monthly inspections and it's obviously an attempt to funnel...
                      25-02-2021, 09:02 AM
                    • Expense
                      by jase222
                      Hi,
                      My dad asked me today, if he spends the late summer in his property in Spain say 3 months and he flys back once a month to check and inspect would that be claimable?? I said yes can't see why not but then would the. Hmrc say from permanent residence?...
                      24-02-2021, 16:53 PM
                    • Reply to Expense
                      by Neelix
                      I think that HMRC will not allow 100% - I would say he should call them and ask
                      25-02-2021, 08:41 AM
                    Working...
                    X