Capital gains - a property that was two, now knocked through and want to revert back

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Capital gains - a property that was two, now knocked through and want to revert back

    I am buying a property that was originally two separate properties which the current owner has knocked through to one. The purchase will be for two separate titles under a single transaction but it is re-classified as a single dwelling for council tax. I do not currently own a property and it will be my primary residence.

    Upon purchase I will obtain planning to revert back to the original two. I plan to sell one and live in the other.

    How will this work for capital gains primary residence relief as the property as a whole will have been my primary residence?

    I have read through HMRC guidance and haven’t come across any clear guidance. Any help is greatly appreciated.


    Why will "the property as a whole will have been my primary residence" if you move in and then split it?

    It might have been your PPR for about 1 day. PPR works by time, it is not established and then somehow kept.

    I think you will need to get formal surveyor's valuation of the "other" half after splitting it and use that as the baseline. I don't think the cost of creating the split will count as a capital expense as this will have been on your PPR.


      I say this as I currently don't own a property so it will be my primary residence until split, this will take approx 2 months to complete due to planning permission.


        Well you will have two months of PPR and then you will start off with a new value assigned value on the new half from that point on. I'd strongly suggest you get formal valuation which if it is a half split will have to be around half the value of the whole as an acquisition cost. I suppose you could take

        (purchaseofwholecost + splittingcost)/2 as the baseline cost of the new half and HMRC probably wouldn't argue. If you immediately sell at a large profit (vs this calculation) HMRC would certainly want to know about it. I doubt they will regard it as selling your PPR but they might.... interesting.


          If you sell it as soon as you split it will there be CGT to pay at all? Given that there is an approx £12,500 allowance each year how much value are you hoping to add? And if you sell quickly might it be treated as a flip and be taxed as income?

          As this is an unusual situation you may need to take expert (paid) tax advice other than relying on us, however helpful we try to be.


            You need proper tax advice - most people considering this kind of project would do it using a company structure, because for a company the gain in the value of an asset is income, not gain, so the tax position is very different.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


              Your acquisition cost for each unit could be 50% purchase cost + 50% of the site work cost to split property.

              The capital gain is calculated from the sale proceeds minus the acquisition cost .

              If you sell after a short time, the gain may be taxed as income.

              If you sell after one year, you should be able to claim the £12,300 personal allowance for capital gains


              Latest Activity


              • Accountant
                by Bridge2020
                Any ideas how much an accountant would charge to do my self assessment ?
                04-03-2021, 10:25 AM
              • Reply to Accountant
                by Gordon999
                £250 is reasonable according to this website :


                But some online companies will offer tax return service at lower price.
                04-03-2021, 13:39 PM
              • How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
                by JamesHopeful
                Here's the situation:
                • I am borrowing money in my own name, and re-lending it to my company.
                • My company pays me exactly the same interest rate as I personally pay to the bank, so I do not make any "profit" on the re-lending and therefore I should not incur any personal tax liability due
                17-12-2017, 11:14 AM
              • Reply to How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
                by tjlcont
                I complete the CT61 form for the company it does not allow me to provide details of who it is being withheld from. So I am very confused how HMRC connect the CT61 cash received from the company, and the personal tax account that it is being applied against....
                Expert advice, Reviews and tailored insights to find contractor services that are right for you.
                04-03-2021, 08:54 AM
              • Reply to Tax for renew lease
                by Gordon999
                The advice given to me some 10 years ago is that the leaseholder has liability for capital gains tax after the property has been sold, but not after lease extension. This applies if the leaseholders own the freehold title and are on both sides of the lease extension transaction. But if the lease extension...
                03-03-2021, 12:38 PM
              • Tax for renew lease
                by jimmylau8080
                I going to receive my new 999-year lease with no ground rent payable is given to the leaseholder, after I paid around £7,000 to extend my current flat from 89 years lease to a 999-year lease with no ground rent payable.

                I received a piece of advice that there are income tax implications....
                28-02-2021, 10:50 AM
              • Reply to Deed of trust for tax efficiency
                by ThePalmist
                So I have been calling lawyers, LR and Tax office.

                LR says there is note about split beneficial interest on register but I have to request a copy.
                Lawyers say they posted me DOT in January but I have not received it.
                Tax office say that I need to fill the form 17 within 60 days...
                01-03-2021, 19:06 PM
              • Deed of trust for tax efficiency
                by ThePalmist
                Hi All,

                New here and been receiving conflicting advice.

                So I will try and be as informative as I can.

                I have a consent to lease on a mortgaged property which I am currently renting out. Mortgage is in my name only and fixed in a 2.5% deal till 2023.

                12-10-2020, 17:33 PM
              • Reply to Deed of trust for tax efficiency
                by jpkeates
                I'm a little confused to be honest.

                The deed is enough to change the percentage of ownership, there's no need to register it with the land registry, although obviously you can.
                I think that the deadline for the HMRC notification is 60 days - hopefully the lawyers who made the deed...
                01-03-2021, 13:59 PM
              • Reply to CGT Sense check (& Question re. having earlier re-mortaged on my own home)
                by Gordon999
                Has any part of the renovations cost been charged as operating expense against the rental income ?

                If no, then liability to cgt on £113K looks correct. If your income from employment is over £50K, then 28% tax rate is correct
                01-03-2021, 13:54 PM