Service charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service charge

Can you claim service charge as a taxable expense even if it wasn't officially paid? We were originally the freehold of the building of two flats so we charged a service charge to the other flat and we paid ourselves. However we have now sold a share of the freehold to the other flat, so we stopped collecting and paying a formal service charge as we agreed it wasn't needed. Instead we would just split the cost of repairs when they were required. However I need to take out the equivalent cost of the service charge from my rental income for repairs. Can I put this on my tax return?

You can't claim for a cost that isn't incurred (if accounting on the cash basis) or which is not ever due to be paid (if accounting on the accrual basis).
    You can claim for the actual repair costs that are incurred.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can claim 50% of any cost paid for maintenance including 50% of the annual building insurance policy or

you can claim the annual service charge payment billed for your flat if the building is managed by an agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrington View Post
        However I need to take out the equivalent cost of the service charge from my rental income for repairs. Can I put this on my tax return?
        No... jpkeates hit the nail on the head

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parents transferring property to children
          by dhoops97
          Hi all,

My dad wants my brother and I to take over the management of his properties, as he's getting old and doesn't want to deal with tenants anymore. However, he doesn't want to sell and he has really good mortgage rates, which doesn't end for another 10 years. His idea was to change...
          16-01-2021, 14:32 PM
        • Reply to Parents transferring property to children
          by jpkeates
          If the mortgages are standard BTL lending, the lender won't allow you to do what you're thinking of.
          I'd talk to a family solcitor, who will probably suggest a trust being set up to achieve what you're looking to do.
          17-01-2021, 11:05 AM
          by Gordon999
          What is the " approx total value" and "annual income" from dad's properties ?

Would a gift of 5% interest to each son give rise to much capital gains tax for father ? Would the mortgage company agree to include the 2 sons being included with dad in the mortgage...
          17-01-2021, 07:57 AM
        • Tax expense dates?
          by ben100
          Ok so I have a spreadsheet that goes from April to March for the tax year. I have direct debit for a taxable expense that goes out each month. The direct debit for the April month the following year after the last March on my spreasheet went out on the 1st of April. I know the tax year goes up to the...
          15-01-2021, 11:14 AM
        • Reply to Tax expense dates?
          by Gordon999
          Better to book the cost as "repair to damp proof coarse" and claim the expense against your rental income.
          17-01-2021, 07:26 AM
        • Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
          by Celibin
          We have replaced the above (30 years old) prior to first let. The kitchen had to be done as the cooker(Free standing) was dangerous Ie very old Being 58 cm wide it was not possible to find a new one that would fit between the units without leaving quite a gap. Also hard to find new shelves for the interior...
          16-01-2021, 06:40 AM
        • Reply to Another new kitchen and bathroom story- CGT
          by Gordon999
          Renewing of kitchen and bathroom units does not give rise to capital gains .

Capital gains arises from sale of the property .
          17-01-2021, 07:22 AM
          by Celibin
          Sorry Gordon I meant the bath not the floor was sloping. So it was no longer fixed very well
          17-01-2021, 06:37 AM
          by Celibin
          The old cooker was dangerous and almost certainly the kitchen cupboards needed pulling out to get behind them to update the electrics
          17-01-2021, 06:36 AM
          by jpucng62
          I would say you can't transfer property to your children without triggering CGT unless you gave away a very small percentage so that it was under the CGT threshold each year - theoretically possible but a pain to do I would imagine! This is the biggest problem with property - it tends to trigger CGT...
          16-01-2021, 17:00 PM
        Working...
        X