Rules governing main residence election

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rules governing main residence election

    If we take the case of a person who owns a flat in London and then decides to buy a second property in the country, my understanding is that the individual can choose which property to nominate as his main residence.

    In some circumstances the person may want to keep the flat as work/social access to London etc. but in fact the new house would be "where he lived", alternatively the new house in the country could be used as an occasional weekend/holiday home.

    Am I right in assuming that having purchased the second property, registered for council tax etc. it is the individual’s right to notify HMRC which of the two properties he wants to register as his "main residence for CGT purposes" and that decision can be based on what suits the individual for CGT purposes rather than the use the residence is put to.

    Specifically can HMRC at the time of declaration of nomination of main residence refuse to accept the nomination and if so on what grounds. Also can HMRC at some future date, say, 18 months later, query this election and require proof of what type of occupation was the residence used for.

    You can only nominate your main residence if you genuinely live in both of them.
    And "occasional weekend / holiday home" wouldn't qualify.

    HMRC have every right to decline a nomination and have 6 years from any tax event to start to investigate and require proof.
    I have no idea if this happens in practice or how frequently.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      If you are paying council tax and all the bills on both places I can't see how they would know the % time you spend in each. Council tax alone is not the crux. Is anyone else staying there, paying rent.

      You also can't re-decide every year or two as it suits you.

      By the way I really love the London approach to the rest of us farmers and peasants -- "second property in the country". What country is that?


        You can nominate only one property as your " main residence" even if you hold 2 properties for personal use. So which one to nominate ?

        Its not decided by the time spent : 5 weekdays ( in the city ) or the 2 weekend days ( in the country ).

        The "main residence" should be nominated for the property expected to the largest capital gain.

        The guide to HMRC for calculating cgt is given in this link :


          Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
          By the way I really love the London approach to the rest of us farmers and peasants -- "second property in the country". What country is that?
          Love it...


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Accountant
            by Gordon999
            £250 is reasonable according to this website :


            But some online companies will offer tax return service at lower price.
            04-03-2021, 13:39 PM
          • Accountant
            by Bridge2020
            Any ideas how much an accountant would charge to do my self assessment ?
            04-03-2021, 10:25 AM
          • Reply to How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
            by tjlcont
            I complete the CT61 form for the company it does not allow me to provide details of who it is being withheld from. So I am very confused how HMRC connect the CT61 cash received from the company, and the personal tax account that it is being applied against....
            Expert advice, Reviews and tailored insights to find contractor services that are right for you.
            04-03-2021, 08:54 AM
          • How do I reclaim tax withheld by my company via a CT61?
            by JamesHopeful
            Here's the situation:
            • I am borrowing money in my own name, and re-lending it to my company.
            • My company pays me exactly the same interest rate as I personally pay to the bank, so I do not make any "profit" on the re-lending and therefore I should not incur any personal tax liability due
            17-12-2017, 11:14 AM
          • Reply to Tax for renew lease
            by Gordon999
            The advice given to me some 10 years ago is that the leaseholder has liability for capital gains tax after the property has been sold, but not after lease extension. This applies if the leaseholders own the freehold title and are on both sides of the lease extension transaction. But if the lease extension...
            03-03-2021, 12:38 PM
          • Tax for renew lease
            by jimmylau8080
            I going to receive my new 999-year lease with no ground rent payable is given to the leaseholder, after I paid around £7,000 to extend my current flat from 89 years lease to a 999-year lease with no ground rent payable.

            I received a piece of advice that there are income tax implications....
            28-02-2021, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to Deed of trust for tax efficiency
            by ThePalmist
            So I have been calling lawyers, LR and Tax office.

            LR says there is note about split beneficial interest on register but I have to request a copy.
            Lawyers say they posted me DOT in January but I have not received it.
            Tax office say that I need to fill the form 17 within 60 days...
            01-03-2021, 19:06 PM
          • Deed of trust for tax efficiency
            by ThePalmist
            Hi All,

            New here and been receiving conflicting advice.

            So I will try and be as informative as I can.

            I have a consent to lease on a mortgaged property which I am currently renting out. Mortgage is in my name only and fixed in a 2.5% deal till 2023.

            12-10-2020, 17:33 PM
          • Reply to Deed of trust for tax efficiency
            by jpkeates
            I'm a little confused to be honest.

            The deed is enough to change the percentage of ownership, there's no need to register it with the land registry, although obviously you can.
            I think that the deadline for the HMRC notification is 60 days - hopefully the lawyers who made the deed...
            01-03-2021, 13:59 PM
          • Reply to CGT Sense check (& Question re. having earlier re-mortaged on my own home)
            by Gordon999
            Has any part of the renovations cost been charged as operating expense against the rental income ?

            If no, then liability to cgt on £113K looks correct. If your income from employment is over £50K, then 28% tax rate is correct
            01-03-2021, 13:54 PM